The Art of Spiritual Healing: Chapter XVI, Is
- CHAPTER XVI IS The basis of all spiritual teaching is that spiritual consciousness evolves in what is called "time." We may wonder why time enters into that which is eternity and which knows no such thing as time, but the element of time is involved because spiritual evolution is the unfolding of consciousness, which to our sense appears as time. However, there is a definite moment in time and space when each one of us makes the transition from law to grace. Up to that point, we are students of truth, seekers after God; and through our study and good works, we hope and expect to improve our human situation. The Hindus liken this process of spiritual evolution to the peeling away of the skins of an onion. The peeling away of one layer of skin is barely perceptible, but by the time ten or fifteen layers have been removed, a definite change is noticeable. As the skins are removed, layer by layer, eventually a place is reached where there are no more onion skins: There is only nothingness; the onion is no more. And so it is that human beings are born into this world, bringing with them numbers of layers of material sense to which they continually add, building up the onion-self, skin by skin, until they begin the return journey to the Father's house. When that spiritual impulse is felt, then we begin to study and meditate, always with the goal that one day we may actually feel God within us, realize the Presence, be touched by Him, and come to live under grace in that state of consciousness in which there is no longer any law-no longer a law of good and evil, no longer a law of cause and effect, no longer a law of punishment and reward: There is only a state of grace-and at a certain moment in our experience, it happens. Such an experience takes place in time. It may happen at ten o'clock in the morning, at midnight, or in the silence of the early morning hours, but at some time or other it does take place, and we feel that inner impulsion and know that we have felt it. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...al Healing_ Chapter XVI, Is.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:34- 100K
Find Similar Documents
The Infinite Way: The New Horizon
- THE NEW HORIZON THE SENSE which presents pictures of discord and inharmony, disease and death, is the universal mesmerism which produces the entire dream of human existence. It must be understood that there is no more reality to harmonious human existence than to discordant world conditions. It must be realized that the entire human scene is mesmeric suggestion, and we must rise above the desire for even good human conditions. Understand fully that suggestion, belief, or hypnotism is the substance, or fabric, of the whole mortal universe and that human conditions of both good and evil are dream pictures having no reality or permanence. Be willing for the harmonious as well as the inharmonious conditions of mortal existence to disappear from your experience in order that reality may be known and enjoyed and lived. Above this sense-life, there is a universe of Spirit governed by Love, peopled with children of God living in the household or temple of Truth. This world is real and permanent: Its substance is eternal Consciousness. In it there is no awareness of discords or even of temporary and material good. The first glimpse of Reality - of the Soul-realm - comes with the recognition and realization of the fact that all temporal conditions and experiences are products of self-hypnotism. With the realization that the entire human scene - its good as well as its evil - is illusion, come the first glimpse and taste of the world of God's creation and of the sons of God who inhabit the spiritual kingdom. Now, in this moment of uplifted consciousness, we are able, even though faintly, to see ourselves free of material, mortal, human, and legal laws. We behold ourselves separate and apart from the bondage of sense, and in a measure we glimpse the unlimited boundaries of eternal Life and of infinite Consciousness. The fetters of finite existence begin to fall away; the price tags begin to disappear. We no longer dwell in thought on human happiness or prosperity, nor is there ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...finite Way_ The New Horizon.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:15- 77K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter I, The Two Covenants
- CHAPTER I THE TWO COVENANTS For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. . . . But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. GALATIANS 4:22-24, 26 In our humanhood, we are sons of the bondwoman, in subjection to the flesh and its claims, in bondage to the things, thoughts, and activities of the flesh, whether it be this flesh of the body or the flesh called money or other forms of human living. Living in and through the flesh as the offspring of the bondwoman, we are under the laws of matter, the laws of economics, and the laws of race, religion, and nationality-under the covenant "which gendereth to bondage." The other covenant is that of our spiritual adoption, which comes through a conscious activity within our own consciousness and at a time when we are prepared for that transition, because the transition from humanhood to spiritual sonship is made only by Grace. When a person says that he would like to be a child of God and be free of the burdens of the flesh, usually he does not really mean it. What he means is that he would like to be free of the burdens of the flesh, but retain the pleasures and the profits of the flesh. It is for this reason that as human beings we cannot choose to be children of God. But there does come a time in the consciousness of every one of us-with some now and with some many lifetimes from now-when, through an inner Grace, we are able and willing not only to be rid of the ills of the flesh, but also of the pleasures and profits of the flesh, and to become acquainted with our spiritual identity or Selfhood, with that new creature-not the old one made healthy, not the old one made honorable, but a new creature which is born of the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter I, The Two Covenants.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:36- 85K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter VI, Unconditioned Mind
- CHAPTER VI UNCONDITIONED MIND The basic secret of mind is that there is only one mind, and that mind is the mind of individual being-your mind and my mind. The implications of this profound statement have never been fully understood. The world at large does not know this, although it has been known to metaphysicians of all schools. When it has come to actual practice, however, an entity separate and apart from the one mind called mortal mind or the human mind has always been introduced and accepted as a power. Actually, there is only one mind, and this mind is unconditioned: It has no qualities of good or of evil; it is a state of being, not good and not bad. In reality, there cannot be intelligent mind and ignorant mind; there cannot be healthy mind and diseased mind, for mind is unconditioned. Furthermore, mind forming itself as body is unconditioned; and therefore body is neither well nor sick, tall nor short, thin nor fat. Body is as unconditioned as the mind which is the essence of its form. Mind and body, being unconditioned, are a state of absolute being and perfection until the belief of good and evil is accepted into thought. Human experience is in reality the perfect mind, your mind and my mind, which manifests as perfect being and body, but which as human experience is influenced by the knowledge of good and evil. This belief in two powers is the essence of what is called the carnal mind. To return to the Father's house and once more become the son of God, it is necessary that we individually-for no one can do this for us because it is an individual experience-give up the belief in good and evil through an activity of our consciousness. Mind forms its own conditions of matter, body, and form. Mind does not create; mind forms. Creation is already complete-spiritual, eternal, and perfect -but our mind, depending on its conditioning, forms and interprets our human experience on this plane. If our mind is completely free of the judgment of good and evil, then ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter VI, Unconditioned Mind.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:39- 94K
Find Similar Documents
The Thunder of Silence: Chapter VII, A Rose Is a Rose Is a Rose
- CHAPTER VII A ROSE IS A ROSE IS A ROSE No one can free himself from the belief in two powers and make the return to Eden until he is willing to relinquish his human judgments and look out upon the world with an unconditioned mind. The practice of seeing neither good nor evil can begin at this very moment with any object which comes within range of your vision or with any person with whom you may be confronted. In most cases, however, it is simpler to begin the practice with some object or person with whom you are not emotionally involved. The practice might begin with a bouquet of flowers which may have been sent to you as a gift. If you have no preconceived idea of them, you do not know whether they are going to give you joy in their beauty or an attack of hay fever. Contemplate them, look at them; and if you see them as having power for either good or evil, you will be thinking thoughts about them for a long time to come. Change all that and acknowledge that these flowers, in and of themselves, have no power whatsoever, that they are not good flowers and they are not bad flowers. At this point, you may be willing to admit that they are not evil, but you may still wonder why they are not good. The answer is that they are not good in the sense that good is embodied in them: The good is in the consciousness of the individual who provided the flowers because that good is love. Love is good, love is invisible and spiritual. Love is the substance that sent these flowers to you, perhaps from a great distance; love is that invisible thing of which these flowers are the visible expression. If you were to call these flowers good, and then in three or four days they faded and were gone, you would have lost your good, but inasmuch as their only value beyond a momentary sense of pleasure lies in the lasting remembrance of the giver-of the love that prompted them, of the devotion, the friendship and gratitude-it makes no real difference what happens to them. When the flowers ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... A Rose Is a Rose Is a Rose.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:39- 105K
Find Similar Documents
Awakening Mystical Consciousness: Chapter 8, Attaining Dominion Through I
- ~ 8 ~ ATTAINING DOMINION THROUGH I THE secret of harmonious existence lies in attaining a consciousness of that Grace within every person awaiting recognition. Whether or not one recognizes and demonstrates it in this lifetime, the next, or the one after is an individual affair, depending on one's spiritual growth or lack of it. Some of you may be bored with the repetition that is about to begin. Instead of saying, "Oh, I know that. I have done that," forget your past experience with it; begin as if it were something entirely new; and do it faithfully. Do not do it with half a mind, as if you already knew what was coming. Do it with your full attention because this is the only way of imparting The Infinite Way principles to you. Look down at your feet, very attentively, and ask yourself, "Am I down there in those feet? Do those feet constitute me, or are they mine?" Do this very slowly because otherwise you will not have the experience. Are you down there in those feet? Do you think you live there, or are those feet yours, yours to command, yours to order, yours to direct? Now travel up to your knees, and look at yourself from the knees down to the toenails with the same question, "Am I to be found down there? Is this I, or are these mine?" Go on up to your waist. Are you there, or is all this yours? Can you not move it at your will? From there, travel up to the neck; but be a little bit more thorough and examine that area of the body between the neck and the waist, front and back, outside and inside. Look inside and ask yourself, "Is this I? This is what I see in the mirror, but is this I or is this mine? Was not this body given to me for many uses?" From the neck, continue right up to the topmost hair of your head; and be sure to look around inside your head and notice your brain and your ears. Look down through your throat and see if you can find yourself any place in your body. Look behind your eyes, because sometimes we think we are behind our eyes looking out, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ttaining Dominion Through I.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:09- 132K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: February 15, 1964, Into the Mystical Consciousness
- INTO THE MYSTICAL CONSCIOUSNESS February 15, 1964 Honolulu, Hawaii GOOD AFTERNOON. Our 1963 work was to make the transition from metaphysical consciousness to mystical consciousness, and as you study the four tapes of the 1964 Honolulu Series and the papers so far, you will discover that we have been consciously making that transition and should either have made it by now or be right on the verge of attaining. There is one final step you can take that will help you complete your realization, and that is this: Look out of this window and select a tree or a group of trees, and behold that there is a law of life functioning in that tree-from the roots out to the fruit on the branches. Take it very slowly. Look down into the roots beneath the soil and you will soon agree that the roots are drawing unto themselves from the surrounding earth, food which has been formed of the rain that has fallen, sunshine, fertilization, and that out of these surroundings is sent up into the trunk of the tree and out into the branches all that is necessary, not only for the sustenance of the tree, but for the forming of the leaves, the blossoms, and the fruit. All of this is possible, not by virtue of the roots or the surrounding earth, but by virtue of an invisible life force acting in and through the tree or upon it, producing the effects that are probably visible through a high-powered glass. The miracle of this exercise is that you have been a beholder, but in no way have you had any part in what you beheld. You did not bring it about, you did not start it into action, you merely beheld, and by your beholding came into the awareness of that which has been taking place out there in those trees before we even came into this room. What is the miracle? You do not set God at work or to work; you do not bring the power of God into any situation. God was there before you, because of omnipresence. It makes no difference if you had a wrong thought this morning or if you committed a wrong deed ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... the Mystical Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:11- 113K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 1, The Principle of Christian Science
- ~ 1 ~ THE PRINCIPLE OF CHRISTIAN SCIENCE The time has come for inventory. Let us take stock of our understanding of Christian Science and see how far out of orthodoxy we have come. Formerly we believed in good and evil. To God was ascribed all the power of good, and to the devil, or Satan, was given all the power of evil. Now, through the study of Christian Science, we learn that there is no devil or Satan-but do we thereby recognize that there is no evil? It is on this point that we need to see what we are understanding as fact, or truth. It is true that we concede no power of evil to our old devil, but do we not concede this same power of evil to mortal mind, animal magnetism, hypnotism, aggressive mental suggestion, x.y.z.ism? Have we not merely changed the name of Satan and kept alive the evil propensities and powers under another name? In Unity of Good 9:27 Mrs. Eddy asks: "What is the central point of difference in my metaphysical system? This: that by knowing the unreality of disease, sin and death, you demonstrate the allness of God. This difference wholly separates my system from all others. The reality of these so-called existences I deny because they are not to be found in God, and this system is built on Him as the sole cause." Now sit down and seriously ask yourself whether or not you have accepted this teaching of Christian Science; whether or not you are still ascribing some erroneous condition to a cause other than God. Are you transferring the evil powers of Satan to a new one called mortal mind or animal magnetism, or have you definitely seen and understood that these are merely beliefs without power, reality, law, cause or effect? Are you still battling error, rising above evil, handling isms as if such beliefs were actual powers or causes of erroneous conditions? Or have you caught a glimpse of the beauty of the truth of Christian Science in the revelation that God, good, alone is cause and creator and, further, that "there are no effects from ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...nciple of Christian Science.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:40- 112K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 10, The Realm of Soul
- ~ 10 ~ THE REALM OF SOUL There are no "small matters" in life. Harmony is the natural law of our being, and when there appears to be an absence of this in mind, body, or purse, it becomes a matter of importance. But here we are dealing with something different. It is not merely a matter of exchanging an inharmonious human condition for one of harmony. Something more is involved than a change of human conditions or feelings. Human existence, as a rule, is just a round of changing outer experiences-some good and some bad. There are countless human methods of meeting these, from medical doctors to soul doctors. To us, something entirely different enters the picture. Your experience has shown you that there is a world beyond this one, and yet a world here and now, possible of immediate attainment. This is the world you are seeking. The peace, harmony and perfection of that universe is beyond human understanding. The things of "this world" never touch that realm. When we have done as you have done, that is, risen above material sense into the kingdom of the mind, there remains this next step: the realm of Soul. Your work and your life now are mainly in the mental kingdom, but you must now reach for, or attain, the spiritual empire or realm of Soul. Like the kingdom of mind, the spiritual empire is within you, but it is a higher level of consciousness-no doubt, the highest one. No problem can be met on the level of the problem. So leave the problem behind you by rising to a new and higher state of consciousness. Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world." 1 Then, is it not necessary that we enter his "kingdom"? His "kingdom" is clearly not a mental one, because he taught that we are to "take no thought"; that taking thought will not add anything to us nor lead us into life and its harmonies. His "kingdom" is the realm of Soul, of inspiration and communion, a constant receptivity to good. The Hebrew lad, Samuel, understood this vision and revealed it in his attitude of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...apter 10, The Realm of Soul.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:43- 97K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 12, Mind and Its Idea One
- ~ 12 ~ MIND AND ITS IDEA ONE Mind and its idea, life and its expression, these are one, inseparable and indivisible. The continuity of life is maintained by infinite and eternal law, or principle. The Son of God is forever one with the Father. That which God has created is forever manifested. In other words, life cannot be deprived of its manifestation; spirit cannot lose its formations, mind cannot be separated from its ideas; love always expresses itself, and the varied expressions of love are eternal and immortal. This is true of God and man, of God and his activity. God, life, truth, love, harmony, perfection, all these are infinite in being and in manifestation. Error, evil, disease are appearances without entity or identity, without presence or power, without law, action, volition, or continuity. Having no law to enforce them, they have no being; having no cause or creator, they do not exist as effect. Infinite life, its activity and harmony are eternally expressed as God's manifested being-man and the universe. There is not a single element of error, discord, or fear in either God or his son, in mind or its idea, in spirit or its formations, in life or its expressions. This is the law of life and the law of mind-the ever-operating law of good. It reveals the reality of being, dispelling the false appearances of sense. This is the law unto you. The basic premise of Christian Science is that God is infinite being and that man is that being expressed in all its perfection and harmony. Therefore, a sick, sinning, evil, unkind, ungenerous man has no existence anywhere at any time, and the belief that there is such a man must be overcome in your thought. "Man is the expression of God's being" 1 -"God is infinite, therefore ever present, and there is no other power nor presence." 2 It follows, then, that you are being called upon to refute the testimony of the senses and to behold "in Science the perfect man . . . where sinning mortal man appears to mortals." 3 This ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...r 12, Mind and Its Idea One.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:44- 100K
Find Similar Documents