The Early Years: Chapter 17, Letter and Spirit of Truth
- ~ 17 ~ LETTER AND SPIRIT OF TRUTH The world is always presenting to us pictures of sin, disease, discord, lack, and limitation. Ignorance of the truth of being causes us to accept these pictures at face value, instead of translating them back into terms of God's actual creation. Only the study of truth reveals that these pictures are but false concepts of reality; that underlying these false views of life, there is the universe of God's creating. We know now that it is sacrilegious to claim that there is a God, an infinite power, and that there is discord too. It just does not make sense. Either there is God, infinite and eternal, universal and impartial, and therefore only perfection; or there is no God, and chaos, confusion, and lack of control are actualities. Assuming God, one must be logical and assume a universe intelligently and lovingly and harmoniously governed, controlled, maintained, and sustained. Then where do these pictures and evidences of discord come from? They emanate from thousands of years of accumulated beliefs in a selfhood apart from God. These beliefs constitute a state of deception or mesmerism through which we see and experience that which has no actual or externalized existence, namely an illusion. A hypnotized person may be made to chase a dog-a non-existent dog- but one which in the mesmerized state seems real. We can never remove the dog from the scene because he isn't there. But when we can convey to the hypnotized man that the dog exists only as illusion, he awakens from his dream. In the degree that you and I see that all corporeal existence (even so-called healthy corporeal existence) is but an illusion of human or mesmeric sense, we too awaken from the beliefs in a selfhood apart from God. God is your life, your mind, your being, the substance of your body, and therefore, you are actually entirely spiritual. All that appears as material is the illusion or false sense of self, produced by the age-old and universal aggregation of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Letter and Spirit of Truth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:45- 86K
Find Similar Documents
The Joel Goldsmith Reader: Individual Consciousness as Law
- Individual Consciousness as Law Thus saith the Lord, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the Lord which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth. JEREMIAH 9:23, 24 This statement from Jeremiah can be carried out in practical experience. We are not to glory in the world of effect, whether that effect appears as person, place, circumstance, condition, or thing, because the substance, the reality, does not lie in any effect. The power and the glory, the substance and the reality, the cause and the law lie in the Spirit which produces all that appears to us as form, circumstance, or condition. We can enjoy and use the things of this world, but our faith and confidence must not be centered in the world or in the things of the world. Our faith and confidence must be in the Spirit which produces, forms, and animates all that exists. No Power Acts upon Us The Infinite Way teaches that man is consciousness and that that very consciousness is the cause of body, business, and home. Many people believe that a discordant body, business, or home is due to a power outside of themselves, acting upon them. As long as we accept the belief that there is a power outside of us, just that long will we be seeking to get in touch with a good power to do something for us. If the belief is accepted that a law of time is acting upon our bodies and mentalities, our experience will be on that level. There is no power operating in our experience separate from our own consciousness, but as long as we believe that there is such a power and as long as we are trying to get in touch with it, we shall never contact it. The world has been praying to God for things. It is no more sensible to pray to God for things than it is to pray to the principle of electricity to light your house. Rejoice not ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...vidual Consciousness as Law.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:19- 120K
Find Similar Documents
1954 Infinite Way Letters: Chapter 10, The Great Secret
- ~ 10 ~ THE GREAT SECRET When the Master, Christ Jesus, said, ". . . resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also," He gave us a great spiritual wisdom which, within myself, I call "The Great Secret." This wisdom has been known to spiritual teachers throughout the ages, but it has never been made clear to the world because, unless one understands the principle involved, it would be utterly impossible to obey. We have found it impossible not to resent the injustices and the inequalities, the indignities and the disturbing persons and conditions of human existence, yet we are told, "Resist not evil." Deep within each of us is a point of quietness which is an area of consciousness into which nothing of the world can enter, and which is never disturbed by any thing or any person or any condition. This point of consciousness is like a deep, clear pool of water, and nothing can even ruffle its surface of quietness and stillness. This is the non-resistant state of consciousness which is much like Lao Tzu's illustration of the little stream which runs around and over and between the rocks, finding a channel here and a little groove there, never resisting the obstacles or trying to wear them down or push them away, but goes merrily on its way. In order to enter this state of quietness, which is a necessary experience to all of us, let us begin, first of all, by acknowledging that there is no one and no thing in all this universe which, in and of themselves, has power to disturb or harm us, but that whatever disturbance or harm comes to us lies in our re-action to the person, the circumstance, or the condition. As long as we are maintaining ourselves in accord with our own highest sense of right and integrity what difference could it make if someone hated or disliked or misunderstood us? Who is hurt if we are misunderstood or disliked except the one who misunderstands? Of course, if we fail in maintaining our own sense of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter 10, The Great Secret.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:34:55- 111K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter XXXI, There Remaineth a Rest
- CHAPTER XXXI "THERE REMAINETH A REST" Of old it was taught that there should be one day of Sabbath each week, a day devoted to worshiping God and living in His word. In order to be immersed in the Spirit, this Sabbath was to be kept entirely free of all worldly cares and worries. The mystical meaning of Sabbath is a resting from power. All through the year and throughout our entire life, we resort to material and mental forces and powers, and the period in which we rest from the use of these forces, thereby experiencing the spiritual Presence, is in reality the only Sabbath there is. Ideally, there should be at least one entire day in the week set aside for such rest, but because of family duties and professional responsibilities that is often well-nigh impossible. Everyone can have a Sabbath during the day or night, however, even if it is only in ten-, fifteen-, or twenty-minute periods. Then, when an occasional day comes along completely free, there is the opportunity of living with the Bible and other spiritual writings, living in meditation, and thus experiencing a full and complete day of spiritual refreshment. A Sabbath is only truly a Sabbath if we do not permit the human world to come into that period. We must have one purpose alone: to seek the realization of His presence, His power, and His grace. When we emerge from these periods, usually we find that the "things" are added unto us: whatever knowledge we need to carry on our business, whatever physical strength or moral support. In The Infinite Way no provision is made for specific Sabbath periods such as any one day of the week or any one hour of the day, nor for rest homes, churches, monasteries, or retreats. In the light of spiritual revelation the Sabbath is not so much a specific day of the week as it is a specific state of consciousness. Any day of the week-Saturday, Sunday, Monday-any day can be a Sabbath. This very hour can be our spiritual Sabbath, and again tomorrow morning at six o'clock, if we ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...XXI, There Remaineth a Rest.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:06- 109K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: April 7, 1963, Healing: To Know God Aright
- HEALING: TO KNOW GOD ARIGHT April 7, 1963 Halekulani Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii RELIGION IS A THING of the heart, and yet without some specific knowledge that is an activity of the mind, it is impossible to complete the religious life. The religious life has nothing to do with the church. Sometimes it may be found in a church, but a church is not necessary for religion because there are religious people in places where there are no churches. Religion is of the heart, and no one is religious except as the heart moves them toward it. That is why it is impossible to give anyone religion or a religious instinct. This is something that takes place within an individual at a certain period of his or her "ripeness." Sometimes in the Orient people use that very word "ripeness," or they speak of an individual being ripe or not ripe, and always it means the same thing-ready for the spiritual experience. Some can have this religious instinct and pursue it and yet not fulfill themselves, unless somewhere along the line certain aspects of the religious life are revealed in one way or another, which make it possible to attain illumination, attain fulfillment, attain that "peace that passeth understanding." One of these principles or facets you will quickly recognize. It is impossible to attain inner peace as long as you think of God as something separate and apart from yourself. Even if you have God "close to you" or "near you" or "caring for you," you still have missed the mark because God is the Self of you, your very own inner being, your very consciousness. Until you come into that awareness, there will always be an uncertainty or doubt, an incomplete relaxing in God. In the same way, you can never attain God realization while God remains a power, while you are looking to God to do something to someone or something. No, you cannot then be in God and at-one with God because there is no such God. That false image of God would always be a barrier. In The Infinite Way you will find ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Healing_ To Know God Aright.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:06- 106K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: February 3, 1963, As Ye Sow
- AS YE SOW February 3, 1963 The Halekulani Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii A QUESTION COMES TO MY MIND this week which is, "How many of our students are reading or studying the writings objectively?" How many still read them with a measure of emotion or sentiment? A letter came to me this week from one of our students. It describes a nice and respectable family that engages in orthodox religious worship, but very good. A terrible tragedy has struck that family and the question is asked, "How can such a thing happen to such a nice family?" Is there any one of our students who does not know what the answer is? If you are in any doubt as to the answer to that question then you are not studying objectively because there isn't a book or a tape or a Letter that does not have the answer to it. If there is anything we know and know that we know, it is the reason for error. That we know. If we don't know anything else, we do know that-and if there are any in doubt on that subject, they are not seriously studying the message. They are reading it but not reading it objectively. Even the most casual reading reveals the "natural" man is not under the law of God and indeed cannot be. As long as he remains the creature-the natural man-he is neither under the law of God nor protected by God nor maintained or sustained by God. This really is the entire history of the human race and accounts for some becoming dictators while others become the lambs led to the slaughter. As you read in history of the rise to power of Mussolini or Hitler, you will soon see there was no God on earth to protect the people on earth-no God to intercede for them. In the same way, if you read the earlier history of the United States and the coming to power of some of our so-called big corporations, robbing, cheating, defrauding, you would soon ask, "Where was God in all this?" So if we have given you nothing else, we have certainly given you the reason why iniquities and injustices exist on earth. We have also ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...February 3, 1963, As Ye Sow.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:10- 99K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: January 20, 1963, The Individual Under God
- THE INDIVIDUAL UNDER GOD January 20, 1963 The Halekulani Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii LAST WEEK WE SPOKE about the sin of mediocrity. But that can be misconstrued; in fact, the whole subject of individuality can be misconstrued. Everything good has been accomplished through an individual, but so has everything evil been accomplished through an individual. In other words, if we are left to ourselves regardless of talents, they can turn into either good or evil. Even knowledge can be turned into good or bad. In the days of the Black and White Brotherhoods, though their education was the same, the White Brotherhood used knowledge for good, the Black Brotherhood used knowledge for evil. Only when an individual is under God does everything he does serve a purpose of God. No greater issue is before the world today than the individual-the individual under God. Not under God, you have destruction. The cliché that in union there is strength is a fallacy. There was no greater union than England and its empire. Certainly, there was no stronger union than Holland and its colonies. But not being under God, it has been broken. In Russia today the people have as much respect for the individual as we have. Individuals, not the masses, create nuclear power: astronauts, scientists, executives-but individuals not under God. For us there must be a definite knowledge that nothing exists greater than individual capacity and individual integrity, but the individual under God. Only then do we have a government under God and a government working for the common good. An individual can only develop spiritually when he comes to know God aright. When we see a statement like, "I depend not on God nor devil but on my own power," unless it strikes up against a consciousness of truth, that statement can go out and control the world because the world has not understood the non-power of temporal power. Truth always destroys temporal power, but it is the knowing of the truth. Always remember that evil can ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...3, The Individual Under God.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:13- 88K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Unfolding: Chapter 10, The Ministry of the Christ
- ~ 10 ~ THE MINISTRY OF THE CHRIST We should never undertake anything, even so unimportant a thing as going to the corner for a loaf of bread, without first making our conscious contact with God. The reason is that while we may seem to be out only for the purpose of buying a loaf of bread, we, actually, may be out on some God-mission without knowing it. If we have not made our contact, we may never know what that mission was and so fail to recognize an opportunity to lend ourselves consciously to this work. Nothing is ever what it appears to be in the human picture. We often think that we are doing something for a normal, natural, human reason and, later on, find that this was not at all the real purpose of what we did. The human reason is sometimes only the decoy that sends us on the real mission, and the true purpose was perhaps not apparent to us at all. We should know by now that as human beings, we are only a transparency for the Divine. Actually, our purpose in studying spiritual wisdom is to find out, through meditation, what the spiritual plan is, and what our part in it is. As we make our contact, we become the visible transparency for the inner, divine, spiritual plan. Then, God, infinite Spirit, is able to use us and to manifest Itself as our individual being, working out Its plan on what we humanly call the earth. It is the earth, but it is more than just the earth: It is both heaven and earth. Heaven and earth are not two different and separate places, except in the human sense of time and place. Reality knows no such thing as "time," no such thing as "place." Time is really now; place is here. Whether or not this earth is a hell or a heaven is dependent upon your view of it, because where some find heaven, others find hell. Some of us find enjoyment in many places right here on earth; others find suffering in the very same places. It is all in the point of view, in the attitude of the individual. Heaven is not a place, and hell is not a place. They are ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... The Ministry of the Christ.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:30- 130K
Find Similar Documents
Invisible Supply: Chapter 5, The Fruitage of Knowing God Aright
- ... In the moment we are enfolded in His love, His love permeates our being. His love is the central theme of our being. His love is our life, and the nature of love is forgiveness. Who loves and holds in condemnation? Who loves and holds a memory of something to be forgiven? In the heart of the lover there is no condemnation; there is compassion. There is no condemnation from parent to child, no condemnation from lover to beloved. There is no condemnation wherever there is love. We do not hold those we love in condemnation. God's love is all-inclusive and takes under its wing all of being, your being and mine, saint and sinner alike. Until you understand that this is the nature of God, you cannot know Him aright. On one wall of every Christian Science church is a sign that states, "Divine Love always has met and always will meet every human need." As I sat in a Christian Science church one evening, I looked around at all the people I knew there and thought, "It isn't so! I know too many who have waited years for that Divine Love to meet their needs, and it just has not happened." Then I pondered on Mrs. Eddy's reasons for choosing those words, because she must have had a special reason. As I pondered, it suddenly dawned on me that Mrs. Eddy was right but that the people had not interpreted the words correctly. Divine Love is not something in outer space; Divine Love is inside. Therefore, it is the Divine Love that we express that meets our human needs. Unless we are expressing an impersonal, impartial, universal love, there is no love meeting our needs. That evening I saw that there is no Divine Love out there somewhere; God is not out there somewhere meeting our needs. God and His Divine Love are within us; but as long as we are not expressing it, it cannot meet our human needs. Divine Love constitutes forgiveness, charity, benevolence, kindness, cooperation, sharing. All of these, and any others you can possibly think of, constitute Divine Love. If we do not express ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...itage of Knowing God Aright.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:39- 98K
Find Similar Documents
Living The Infinite Way: Chapter One, The Mystery of the Invisible
- CHAPTER ONE THE MYSTERY OF THE INVISIBLE All through the ages men have sought to understand the mystery of life. They have searched for that something called the secret of life, particularly the secret of success and happiness; and like those who sought for the Holy Grail, they have looked for it every place in the world except where it is to be found. The truly successful people of life are not readily identified because, while it is easy to find the person who has acquired the most millions or the one who has gained the greatest fame in some area, it is not always easy to find those who have attained real success. Success should bring happiness, and especially inner peace and security. True success means something far different from the mere acquisition of things or the attainment of personal power or glory. Spiritual living may carry with it just as much of fame and fortune as material living. These are acquired, first of all, not as the goal, but as the added things; secondly, not from without, but from within through an understanding of their Source. In material living, whatever can be gained from without is of necessity limited, but there is absolutely no limit to the attainment of a person who has discovered the secret of the inner life. Therein lies the difference between material and spiritual living. The secret of the inner life is revealed through meditation, which, in its earliest stages, is an act of conscious awareness whereby we make contact with an area of consciousness within ourselves, which is actually the storehouse of our live. There was a time when man was a pure, spiritual being, when he lived entirely from within himself, when his thoughts always remained at the center of his being, and life flowed out from within. Ideas came from within, means of action came from within, and whenever there was an apparent need, all that he had to do was to close his eyes, go within, and let it come forth into expression. We have no actual knowledge of this ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...he Mystery of the Invisible.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:55- 105K
Find Similar Documents