The Only Freedom: Chapter 9, Starting the Mystical Life
- T Chapter Nine Starting the Mystical Life he glorification of a human being is never the goal of a spiritual study. Rather is it the annihilation of the human being. When Paul teaches that we need to "die daily," 1 he is not playing with language. He is very serious about that. So, too, when the Master states, "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it," 2 he is stating a spiritual principle. Many metaphysical teachings would have us believe that by demonstrating health and supply we are doing the will of God. In the very earliest days of metaphysical healing, there was no such intent. Healing was only a means of proving that the principle was true, but the principle was the important thing and not the healing. What followed and still continues could happen in our work. Those in the Infinite Way who carry on a healing ministry or conduct tape meetings usually give some instruction to those who come to them, explaining the principles that students do not understand, the how and the why of them, and helping them with healing work. What inevitably happens is that if those who are conducting the work are at all consecrated they soon become so busy with healing work that there is no time left for teaching, instruction, or imparting the message. So there again begins the same old round of sitting in an office and acting as an aspirin tablet or a foot plaster to those who bring their bodies to the office. That really should not happen in our work. The metaphysics of the Infinite Way is made up of the letter of truth and, while studying that, it is natural that our health, our living conditions, our business, and our human relationships all improve. But these are not our goal. Our goal is to achieve a consciousness of the mysticism of the Infinite Way, that is, that part of the teaching which brings us into conscious union with God. If the attainment of material things were our goal, we could very quickly have ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Starting the Mystical Life.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:35- 117K
Find Similar Documents
The World Is New: Chapter 2, Unfolding the Healing Consciousness
- ~ 2 ~ UNFOLDING THE HEALING CONSCIOUSNESS WHEN JOHN WAS IN PRISON, he sent word to Jesus, "Art thou he that should come, or do we look for another?" 1 In other words, he was asking, "Is this the promised Messiah?" Jesus did not answer him by saying that he had been authorized or ordained or that he had received a license to be a rabbi. He said, "Go and shew John again those things which ye do hear and see: The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them." 2 The work of healing through the Spirit, however, is never the healing of a body or of any physical condition, even though it appears as the healing of the problems of human existence. That is the result, but it is not the work. The real work is the spiritualizing of consciousness and of thought, and the opening of consciousness to the receptivity of God. The Infinite Way does not teach that there are no human problems: it teaches that in the presence of God there are no problems, and so when we stand in the conscious awareness of the presence of God, there is no poverty, sin, disease, or death to overcome. One of the greatest of all Jesus' statements is, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." 3 The kingdom of God-the realm of God-is consciousness. The spiritual atmosphere of God is the Kingdom, and when we are in the spiritual atmosphere of God, all the harmonies of heaven and of earth are added unto us. There are many approaches to the subject and practice of healing work, but I can speak only of that which has revealed itself to me, which is that healing is accomplished entirely through silence. Treatments, oral explanations, and the written word are merely little ladders which we use to climb up to the point of silence. Sometimes they are necessary; more often they are not. After one has been in this work for a while, it is almost ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...g the Healing Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:42- 115K
Find Similar Documents
1954 Infinite Way Letters: Chapter 5, Knowing the Truth in Treatment
- ~ 5 ~ KNOWING THE TRUTH IN TREATMENT To those of us on the Path of The Infinite Way our goal is harmony-spiritual, eternal, immortal harmony in all of our relationships, being, body and business. In our search for the harmonies of life we have come to see that the only harmony is the harmony of God, made manifest as our individual experience. We have found that it is an impossibility to be intelligent, healthy or wealthy in and of ourselves, and that even though we gain these through material means they prove to be unsatisfactory, incomplete and impermanent. Only in the degree that we understand that God is the Intelligence of the universe, that God is the Mind, the Soul, and the Spirit of our individual being, do we have harmony as a permanent and continuing dispensation. As we come into the realization that there is no lasting safety or security, no health or wealth in the material world, we must find our new abiding-place-"an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens." How do we attain this spiritual life? How do we attain spiritual consciousness? How do we attain our freedom from "this world?" The Master showed us the way-"Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." The first step in attaining freedom from the world is learning and knowing the truth. Read and study scripture and truth books. Bring yourself into the atmosphere of those who have attained some measure of spiritual consciousness. Choose your books, your teacher or teaching only after thoughtful consideration and prayer that they be revealed to you. Each one must find within his own being his true teacher or teaching, and be faithful to them until such time as he shall be led to a higher step. In the last analysis, we shall all be taught of God. The second, and by far the most important step, is knowing the truth, not merely by reading, studying or hearing it, but also by receiving it by impartation from within your own being. In giving treatments to ourselves or others in ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...wing the Truth in Treatment.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:34:54- 101K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter XXVI, My Kingdom Is Not of This World
- CHAPTER XXVI "MY KINGDOM IS NOT OF THIS WORLD" To live in My kingdom is to live in the circle of eternity. "This world" is the world of mankind, but My kingdom is of an entirely different nature. My kingdom is not the realm of physical health. My kingdom is not the realm of material riches. We all know what constitutes physical health, but what is the health of My kingdom? What is the health of the spiritual kingdom? What is God's state of health, and the state of health of the son of God? We know of what material supply and material wealth are constituted, but what are heavenly riches? What does it mean to be "joint-heir to all the heavenly riches"? What are the heavenly riches to which we are heir, and yet which we are not enjoying in the human scene? They cannot have anything to do with such things as money, investments, or property because "My kingdom is not of this world." On the spiritual path, therefore, there is no use in going to "My kingdom" to get something for this world. We must seek first the kingdom of God; we must learn how to pray so that in praying to a God of Spirit we are praying only for heavenly riches, spiritual health, and spiritual companionship. As long as we are trying to get material riches, physical health, or human companionship, that is what we will get, and it will sometimes be good and sometimes evil, sometimes right and sometimes wrong, because all materiality is made up of the belief in two powers-good and evil. But if we keep our consciousness aligned with spiritual reality and keep our desires in the realm of spiritual form and spiritual well-being, we shall experience the joy and the peace of spiritual oneness. To seek to know the nature of heavenly riches, of spiritual health, and of spiritual companionship is not seeking for anything of a material or human nature: it is a resting in the Grace of the spiritual kingdom. The word "Grace" cannot be translated into such things as money, houses, or families. We have to leave the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ingdom Is Not of This World.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:04- 112K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 7, Teaching the Message
- ~ 7 ~ TEACHING THE MESSAGE FOR THE BENEFIT OF THOSE who are having the experience of imparting some of this to patients or students, I want to speak for a little while on what we may call teaching The Infinite Way and Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture. By that I don't mean class teaching. By the time that any of you are conducting a class on it, we will have a special class to bring that type of work to a focus. What I mean though, is that if you have a patient or someone coming to you and you are trying to bring about a healing and at the same time introduce them to the subject of spiritual truth from this standpoint, I want to give you some hints along the way. The first thing that must be brought out to the one who either has little or no metaphysics, or the one who is coming from some other school of metaphysics into this, is of course our meaning of terms like "soul," "Christ," and the difference between prayer and treatment. You know that in Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture I have made it clear that to my sense, treatment and prayer are not synonymous. Treatment refers to the letter of truth, the statements of truth that we may make to ourselves as reminders of the truth of being. Treatment may be our conscious realization, through either the spoken word or through silent thought, meditation, introspection, of the truths of being. But prayer would only begin when we had completed thinking or making statements or reviewing thoughts or ideas. In other words, in our work the main point is that there is not God and men; probably this approach is unique in that. You cannot give a treatment to men, because in this approach we haven't any men separate and apart from God. Therefore, what the metaphysical world terms men we term God and man, or God appearing as man. Therefore it would be an impossibility for a practitioner to give a treatment to a man or a woman or a child if he understands clearly that all there is appearing as man, woman or child, is God-the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 7, Teaching the Message.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:20- 115K
Find Similar Documents
God The Substance of All Form: Chapter 9, Nature of the Individual as Consciousness
- ~ 9 ~ NATURE OF THE INDIVIDUAL AS CONSCIOUSNESS Probably the most important point in all spiritual living is the question: What is God? Investigation of differing concepts of God indicates that some people think of God as Mother, others as Father, still others as mind or law or principle, and latterly as the combination Father-Mother. If the concept is illumined, one term is not much more important or adequate than another, but our manner of worship often limits our concept of the infinite to a finite form. The greatest statement ever made on the subject of the name or nature of God is that if you can name it, that is not it. And that is true. If you give it any name at all, you are naming something other than yourself, and that cannot be God because the self doing the naming is none other than God. In the same way, there cannot really be a search for truth because the searcher is truth. "I am the way, the truth, and the life." 1 How can I seek life eternal, since I am that eternal life, itself? The Nature of God Any term or name you might give to God is of itself erroneous, since it implies duality. The experience of the Hindu leader, Ramakrishna, who lived late in the last century, is interesting from this viewpoint. From early childhood, starting out as an altar boy in a temple, he was filled with a great longing for God; he was God-hungry. God was always Mother, and inasmuch as one of the gods of Oriental Scripture was known as Mother Kali, Ramakrishna used this designation, Mother Kali, when referring to God. She became such a reality to him that he insisted on paying his devotions and saying his prayers to her. One day, a great spiritual woman came to Ramakrishna and offered to lift him to the highest degree of spiritual consciousness in which he would realize his oneness with God. Ramakrishna accepted, and the woman remained with him for some time, meditating with him until she finally lifted his consciousness to where he could say, "Ah, I am!" He had the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Individual as Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:35- 125K
Find Similar Documents
The Art of Spiritual Living: Chapter 9, The Consciousness of the Individual
- ... All Men Are Brothers In order to make the life of God as the life of individual being demonstrable in your experience, you must go the second step of realizing that since this is true of you, it is true of all men. There is neither Jew nor Greek; there is neither white nor black; there is neither Oriental nor Occidental, for we are all one in our spiritual identity. "Call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father which is in heaven." 6 That makes all of us brothers and sisters, members of one family, of one household. This is the truth whether the men and women of the world know it or not. The Master says, "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." 7 Now watch how it operates. When you are in any group of people, without any sense of self-righteousness, of being holier, better, or more valuable to God than the others, realize that there is but one Father, and you are all brethren. There are no barriers in that relationship, and then you can look upon any other person without judgment, criticism, or condemnation. Even if you are aware of sin, it would be with forgiveness. And what would happen to the other person? Would he not feel your lack of judgment? When a person sets himself up as better, holier, more righteous, more moral, or more honest than you, then a barrier would go up within you of defense, protecting yourself from whoever it is that is sitting in judgment on you. If a person in any walk of life has designs on you, on your money, or in any way looks to you for something that is certainly not his right or due, that sets up a mental wall in you, and you automatically begin to protect yourself. The best illustration that I can give is that a person who has been trained to be a buyer of any kind of merchandise can practically smell a salesman coming along and up goes that wall of defense, with the immediate response, "No, I don't need anything." It is an automatic response, even if in the next minute that buyer may say, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ciousness of the Individual.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:36- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Collected Essays of Joel Goldsmith: Meditation
- Meditation TO MEDITATE IS "to fix the mind upon; think about continuously; contemplate; to engage in continuous and contemplated thought; dwell mentally on anything; ruminate and cogitate." In the spiritual tongue meditation is prayer. True prayer or meditation is not a thinking about ourselves or our problems but rather the contemplation of God and God activities, and the nature of God, and the nature of the world that God created. Everyone should take some time daily to retire to a quiet spot for meditation. During this period he should turn his thought to God, and consider his understanding of God, and search out a deeper understanding of the nature of Spirit and its formations, and of Mind and its infinite manifestation. He should be careful not to take any of his ills or other problems into his meditation. This particular period is set aside, dedicated and consecrated to thinking about God and God's universe. As God is the Mind and Soul of every individual, it is possible for all of us to be tuned in to the kingdom of God and receive the divine messages and assurances and benefits of the one infinite Love. The grace of God which we receive in these periods of meditation or prayer becomes tangible to us in the fulfilling of our so-called human needs. If we do not open our consciousness to the reception of spiritual understanding we must not be surprised if we do not experience spiritual good in our daily living, and there is no other way to open our consciousness to the realm of Soul than through meditation or prayer, through contemplating the things of God. "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee." All through the day our thoughts are centered on the activities of human experience, on family cares and duties and earning a livelihood, on social and community affairs, and sometimes even on greater affairs of state. Is it not natural then that at some time during the day or evening we take time off to retire to our inner consciousness, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Joel Goldsmith_ Meditation.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:14- 71K
Find Similar Documents
God The Substance of All Form: Chapter 3, Individual Consciousness as Law
- ~ 3 ~ INDIVIDUAL CONSCIOUSNESS AS LAW Thus saith the Lord, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the Lord which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth. Jeremiah 9:23, 24 This statement from Jeremiah can be carried out in practical experience. We are not to glory in the world of effect, whether that effect appears as person, place, circumstance, condition, or thing, because the substance, the reality, does not lie in any effect. The power and the glory, the substance and the reality, the cause and the law lie in the spirit which produces all that appears to us as form, circumstance, or condition. We can enjoy and use the things of this world, but our faith and confidence must not be centered in the world or in the things of the world. Our faith and confidence must be in the spirit which produces, forms, and animates all that exists. No Power Acts upon Us The Infinite Way teaches that man is consciousness and that that very consciousness is the cause of body, business, and home. Many people believe that a discordant body, business, or home is due to a power outside of themselves, acting upon them. As long as we accept the belief that there is a power outside of us, just that long will we be seeking to get in touch with a good power to do something for us. If the belief is accepted that a law of time is acting upon our bodies and mentalities, our experience will be on that level. There is no power operating in our experience separate from our own consciousness, but as long as we believe that there is such a power and as long as we are trying to get in touch with it, we shall never contact it. The world has been praying to God for things. It is no more sensible to pray to God for things than it is to pray to the principle of electricity to light your house. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...vidual Consciousness as Law.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:34- 113K
Find Similar Documents
Living Between Two Worlds: Chapter 3, Easter, A Rising Out Of Material Sense
- ~ 3 ~ EASTER, A RISING OUT OF MATERIAL SENSE THE MAJOR PRINCIPLE OR REVELATION OF THE INFINITE WAY is that God is consciousness, and that infinite divine Consciousness forms Itself as individual being, as my individual consciousness and yours, not a portion of It, but all of It. Most persons have been taught that man begins from a seed, and they have been led to believe that there is something not quite spiritual about the whole idea of conception and birth. They have thought of creation as an act of man and woman, about which there has always lurked some feeling of wrongness, and in their sense of creation there is something wrong because it means that they are accepting man as a creator. But man is not a creator, and the belief that he is has given rise to the idea that man is brought forth in sin and in iniquity. The truth is that the activity of creation begins with the Spirit of God pouring into individual consciousness as love. That divine love pours from your consciousness into your mind and tangibly it brings unto you your own with whom you are one, and then the idea of love, union, and oneness comes forth as the creation of the next generation. There is nothing sinful, nothing evil, nothing finite, nothing mortal about it at all. It all has its beginning in conscious union with God. While there cannot be a material creation because God is the only creator and God is Spirit, a material sense of creation has been entertained, and that is where this whole feeling of sin or wrongness comes from. All human experience has its foundation in a material sense of a spiritual universe. What is called the immorality and delinquency of this age has its basis in that same material sense, because since our young people have not been taught to understand that their first duty every day is to establish their conscious oneness with the Source so that they are animated throughout the day and night by the Spirit, they have sought satisfaction on the level of mind and body. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ising Out Of Material Sense.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:43- 113K
Find Similar Documents