The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 19, Realize God as the Only Power
- ~ 19 ~ REALIZE GOD AS THE ONLY POWER I would like now to go back to the principles, and this is what is in my mind. Don't let me do you a disservice, which I could easily do if you do not make an effort to understand me correctly or if you do not insist that I clarify the situation so that you understand it. I have said to you that the ancients were absolutely right in setting up a devil or satan. They were absolutely right in understanding that there is an impersonal source of evil which tempts us, which comes to us as temptation and which never bothers us unless we succumb to the temptation. The mistake they made was to declare the devil as an opposite of God, an opponent of God, thereby giving God an eternal warfare, an eternal attempt to get rid of the devil without ever being able to succeed. Had they understood that this devil or impersonal source of evil was not power, had no law, no life, no cause, they would have freed all of us. And men verily every day in the week would have been a day of freedom-a Fourth of July. In the same way, the earliest of our metaphysical teachers were absolutely right when they set up mortal mind and called it the sum total, the source, of all error. But they made their mistake by setting up an opposite, a divine mind, and they made such statements as, "Mortal mind causes disease but divine mind cures it." That's a nice battle, too, if divine mind wins. You see, anything that sets up an opposition to God cannot be truth. God is infinite, and God has nothing, nobody, to war with. God is infinite. God is all. There is no power opposing God. Treat this devil, or mortal mind, as something you do not need to have a deep understanding about to overcome, as something you don't have to go to God for God's help to overcome. Then you can follow this exactly as the Hebrews did on one occasion: "And they rested in this word." Therefore, having seen the nothingness of devil or satan, having seen the nothingness of carnal mind or mortal mind, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...alize God as the Only Power.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:52- 81K
Find Similar Documents
The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 20, Purifying the Mind
- ~ 20 ~ PURIFYING THE MIND Good evening. As far as I can remember, this is the first class I have ever conducted about which I can truthfully say I'm sorry to see come to a close tonight. Saturday night has usually been the most glorious night in the world for me, and after Saturday night I could dance in the streets. There is a very definite reason for feeling this way tonight. I believe that for the first time in all the classwork that's been going on since 1947, the principles of the Infinite Way have been understood. I have never felt that way before. You see, truth is universal. In mystical truth there is no such thing as an original idea. But the major principles of the Infinite Way, the healing principles, are an unfoldment that have never before appeared in religious literature of any nature, whether mystical, orthodox, or metaphysical. I have never been able to convey that before because students were either listening to me through their Christian Science background, their Unity background, or their mental science background, and so they were not able to clearly understand and grasp these specific principles. I know that if these principles had been practiced and demonstrated by our students, we would have practitioners in every city in the world. The only reason we haven't is because these specific principles have not been grasped, have not been understood and practiced, and therefore could not be demonstrated. Now I don't say this in a complaining sense because it is perfectly natural. Every one of us have received teachings which we more or less accepted as divine authority. It makes no difference how mistaken those teachings may be, we find it impossible to dislodge them from our thought, our conditioned mind. In every message that embraces either mental or spiritual healing, we address the individual, and in doing this we personalize error. You either call the patients by their name, or you address them as "you," and you seek to uncover the error in ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter 20, Purifying the Mind.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:52- 127K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: August 1957, Your Names are Written in Heaven
- ... Now I can say to you that the prophecy, if such it was, has come true: This is the year of fulfilment for the message of The Infinite Way. Jesus gave the world this Messianic message: There is a transcendental Presence and Power within the consciousness of every individual on earth, and this spiritual Presence and Power he called "the Father within"-your Father and my Father. He taught and proved that this spiritual Presence and Power heals the sick, unstops the ears of the deaf, opens the eyes of the blind, feeds the hungry, raises the dead, and gives spiritual illumination, so that the enlightened live not only by bread, but by an inner meat, an inner wine, an inner water, an inner bread of life which Jesus revealed as the grace of God. In other words, the grace of God, the activity of God's presence and power in us, is our daily bread, our supply, our activity, our wisdom, and our immortality. Throughout his three-year ministry, he proved every single point of this teaching by healing the sick, bringing forgiveness to the sinner, demonstrating supply, and revealing immortality. The disciples and apostles, and later their students, were able to prove the omnipresence of the Spirit of God in man and Its redemptive power; they broke the mesmeric Adam-dream and revealed that "henceforth know we no man after the flesh." In other words, no longer shall we believe in a good human being or a bad human being, but in the understanding of this spiritual Presence, we shall know all men as the Sons of God or offspring of God, the spiritual heirs of God- the Christ. This teaching was lost when men began to observe ceremonies and rites, arguing and disagreeing about the form of worship and eventually dividing into numerous sects, each with its own form of worship, ceremony, and creed. Attention was focused on the form rather than on the Spirit, and the essence was lost. In this past century, it was again revealed to the world that there is a Power always present and available ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Names are Written in Heaven.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:57- 145K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: October 1957, Bear Witness
- CHAPTER TEN: OCTOBER Bear Witness For thou shalt be his witness unto all men of what thou hast seen and heard. Acts 22:15 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. John 1:6-8 We speak what we do know, and testify that we have seen. John 3:11 If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true. John 5:31 And we are his witnesses of these things. Acts 5:32 Ye are my witnesses, saith the Lord, and my servant whom I have chosen; that we may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. Isaiah 43:10 IN a courtroom, a witness mounts the witness stand, not to interpret his observations, but simply to tell what he has seen. A witness bears witness to that which he has seen take place. At no point should a witness say, "I brought this about; I did this; or I helped this"; but rather, "This is what I saw, and I am repeating it as I saw it." That is what the Master meant by bearing witness to God. The Master bore witness to God's power. He claimed no power for himself, "I can of mine own self do nothing . . . 1 the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works," 2 that is, "I bear witness to that which I see the Father do." In The Infinite Way, we do not use God. Instead we sit in quietness and stillness, watching God do the work. Then we can say, "I witnessed a healing; I witnessed the activity of God in human affairs; I did not do it; I had no part in it, but I bore witness to God performing His work." Let us suppose that a call for help comes to us. Can I give the help or can you give it? Those of us who have been the instruments for healing know the answer to that question: No human being can give that help. If God does not answer the call, it will not be answered. But you say, "God is not answering all the calls that go out to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... October 1957, Bear Witness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:11- 153K
Find Similar Documents
The Infinite Way: Supply
- SUPPLY PART I THE SECRET of supply is to be found in the twelfth chapter of Luke: And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on. The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment. Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls? And which of you with taking thought can add to his stature one cubit? If ye then be not able to do that thing which is least, why take ye thought for the rest? Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. If then God so clothe the grass, which is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more will be clothe you, O ye of little faith? And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind. For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things. But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you. Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. The question now arises: How is it possible to "take no thought" for money when pressing obligations must be met? How can we trust God when year in and year out these financial problems confront us, and usually through no fault of our own? We have seen in these passages from Luke that the way to solve our difficulties is to take no thought for supply, whether of money, food, clothing, or any other form. And the reason that we need have no anxiety about these things is that "it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom" because He "knoweth that ye have need of these things." In order that we may enter wholly into the spirit of confidence of this inspired message of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...es/The Infinite Way_ Supply.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:15- 102K
Find Similar Documents
The World Is New: Chapter 16, The Universality of God
- ~ 16 ~ THE UNIVERSALITY OF GOD THE TWELFTH CHAPTER OF THE GOSPEL according to John opens with the Master coming to Bethany, where a supper has been prepared for him by Mary, the sister of Lazarus, whom Jesus had just raised from the dead. Naturally, the little town is very much excited about Lazarus being raised from the dead-Lazarus present with them now and even eating supper after having been dead and in the tomb. We might well imagine that this occasion was one for rejoicing, for happiness and a real celebration, but that is only because we want to believe that the whole world is seeking truth and wants to see the dead raised to life and sinners reformed. The world as a world does not really like such things; it harbors an unconscious resentment toward those who have any desire to improve it. And so, the first murmurings of discontent are heard, and soon these murmurings become more than murmurs, rising to greater heights. This, the Master fully realized when he prophesied the trouble that lay ahead: Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. John 12:24 Here is the very principle on which The Infinite Way unfoldment is based. Translating that into our language of today, it means this: Unless we die to our humanhood, we cannot be reborn of the Spirit, nor can we bring forth spiritual fruit while continuing to live as human beings. Most people do not have any real understanding of what living the spiritual life means, and so when they first start out on the spiritual path they usually feel this way: "I am a human being, one who knows nothing of God, and I am sick. My desire is to be a human being who knows something about God, and who is well." They seem content to stay on the level of demonstration, wanting to be free of all their human discords, wanting to acquire all the good human things of life, and to continuing merrily on their human way to the age of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...16, The Universality of God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:45- 119K
Find Similar Documents
Collected Essays of Joel Goldsmith: Truth
- Truth The law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. -John 1:17. UNDER PHARAOH the Hebrews had been in complete and utter slavery, not only economically, but culturally as well. They had not been permitted religious freedom, educational freedom, or cultural freedom any more than financial freedom. Consequently they were at about the lowest level of humanhood imaginable. It was in this state that Moses found them, and wishing to free them from their bondage, he took them out from under Pharaoh and led them out into the desert. Unaccustomed as they were to such freedom, they mistook liberty for license. They became very unruly and difficult to manage, so that it became necessary for Moses to set up many human codes-codes of human conduct. One set of these codes we know as the Ten Commandments. One of the mistaken beliefs of many people in the religious world is that the Ten Commandments are spiritual commands, having to do with spiritual or religious life. This is not true. The Ten Commandments, with the exception of the First Commandment, constitute a code of human conduct. It is certain that to one of spiritual vision you would never have to say, "Thou shalt not steal," or "Honor thy father and thy mother." And it would be just as fantastic to tell them not to commit adultery; not to commit murder; not to covet or envy. The Ten Commandments, then, do constitute law, and so now, as with Moses and the Hebrews in that intermediary stage of humanhood, it becomes necessary to have such a code of laws-of human laws-in order to teach men how to be just ordinary good humans. In the teachings of Christ Jesus you do not find any such commands about being humanly good. You are told, rather, that "My kingdom is not of this world." You are lifted into a spiritual atmosphere in which there is not even a thought or a temptation of being humanly bad. That is why we are told, "The law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ." It is a very ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ys of Joel Goldsmith_ Truth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:16- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Conscious Union with God: Chapter 6, Teaching the Message
- ~ 6 ~ TEACHING THE MESSAGE For the benefit of those who are having patients or students coming to them and who are not only trying to bring about healing for them, but at the same time introduce them to the subject of spiritual truth, let me point out that one of the first things that must be taught to the person who either has had little or no experience in metaphysics or to the one who is coming from some other school of metaphysics into the Infinite Way is the meaning of terms like Soul, Consciousness, and the Christ. Rarely do you meet a lay person in this work-I don't mean practitioners, I mean an average patient or student-who has caught the vision of the word, "Soul." It is one of the most misunderstood words in metaphysics and is so important that, without an understanding of it, the spiritual vision of this message cannot be perceived. The Soul-Faculties and Consciousness Soul, or Consciousness, is the seat of those faculties which we interpret as physical organs and functions and physical faculties or physical senses. The day will come when, if you know enough about Consciousness, you can leave everything else alone, for in the word, "Consciousness," and the spiritual understanding of it, is contained all the knowledge that is to be known about God, man, and the universe. As a matter of fact, the five senses-sight, hearing, taste, touch, and smell-sometimes metaphysically called "the unreal senses," are but our misinterpretation of Consciousness. For example, if I see you, I am conscious of your presence through the faculty of sight; if I hear you, I am conscious of your presence through the organs of hearing; and, of course, I can also become conscious of you through my sense of smell or taste. But what is happening is that I am conscious of you. Therefore, the five senses are really just five different facets of the activity of Consciousness, which is the one real faculty and is spiritual; they are but the finite sense of that one spiritual activity, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 6, Teaching the Message.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:17- 132K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: July 7, 1963, Meditation Is the Key
- MEDITATION IS THE KEY July 7, 1963 Princess Kaiulani Hotel GOOD AFTERNOON. The entire secret of The Infinite Way lies not in the books, but in meditation. In fact the secrets of life or the mysteries of life are not to be found in any book or in any message. If messages alone could give us the secrets of life, then Lao-Tzu, Buddha, Jesus, John, Paul, or Shankara have given us all of the secrets that have ever been revealed or perhaps ever could be revealed; but unfortunately, as Paul wrote: "The natural man receiveth not the things of God." 1 The natural man, the creature, is not under the law of God and that is why no message can reveal truth to you until such time as you are no longer the natural man, but have become the child of God-until you have attained spiritual discernment. There is not any message that can reveal its secret to you. There are people who have found a higher lifetime of joyous freedom through Christian Science, through Unity, through The Infinite Way. Why then has not everybody who has read their books attained this same freedom, and the answer is this: The secret is not in the books, the secret is within you and until you discover the secret within you, you cannot find it in any books. The kingdom of God is within you. What is the kingdom of God, the realm of God? The consciousness of God, God-consciousness-this is the kingdom of God, this is the realm of God. The kingdom is not a temporal one. It is not built with streets, houses, or temples. The kingdom of God is a "Temple not made with hands, eternal in the heavens." 2 The kingdom of God is "neither lo here nor lo there." It is not up above you, nor beside you, nor beneath you. It is actually your own consciousness. This is heaven-this is the kingdom of God-this is the realm of God-and it is the only place in which you will ever find God. Do not look for God in a book or in a holy temple or in a holy man or a holy woman. This is folly. The kingdom of God is consciousness, but there is no ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...1963, Meditation Is the Key.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:14- 111K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: May 19, 1963, An Idea Whose Time Has Come
- AN IDEA WHOSE TIME HAS COME May 19, 1963 Princess Kaiulani Hotel ON MAY 12 WE STARTED off with this paragraph: "There is a principle of life not yet known to the world, but known to you through your studies of The Infinite Way. The effects of this principle have been known throughout all known time, but the principle itself has not been known." The principle of which I spoke is that truth received and embodied in consciousness becomes known worldwide without any human effort or human striving. Just by abiding within one's Self with the revealed truth, it has a way of establishing itself. This does not always happen as quickly as we would like it to happen, but when we are dealing with truth we must learn that "a thousand years is as one day and one day can be as a thousand years." 1 There will be periods of thousands of years when little progress seems to be made, then suddenly in one day more progress is made than in a thousand years. This was illustrated by the Civil War. The idea of giving freedom to the Negro was not really a result of the Civil War; in fact, the Civil War was a failure and did not give that freedom. However, the fact that it took place was in line with all that had been unfolding in human consciousness since the days of Greece, on up through the Magna Carta, the French Revolution, the American Revolution, the Brazilian Revolution. All of this is the out breaking into human experience of an idea in consciousness. I believe it was last week that we were given the quotation of Victor Hugo: "Nothing is so powerful as an idea whose time has come." Ordinarily this quotation is attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson, because it was he who made the quotation famous. But strangely, in the editorial in this morning's newspaper it is correctly attributed to Victor Hugo, and in the correct manner in which we used it last week. In other words "its time has come," and nothing is going to stop the breaking down of racial prejudice. Furthermore, if you had access ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...An Idea Whose Time Has Come.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:19- 107K
Find Similar Documents