God The Substance of All Form: Chapter 7, The Last Enemy
- ~ 7 ~ THE LAST ENEMY Everyone is interested in the subject of immortality-immortality here and now, in this body, not merely an immortality to be attained after death. It is in this very body that immortality must be experienced-this very body which we are now using as our instrument. We shall not lose our body, but we will lose our false sense of body and come into the realization of the true nature of body. By losing the sense of disease, accident, and old age, and coming into a higher realization of perfect body, there is no loss of body: There is just the loss of a false sense of body and the realization of the true nature of body. In the same way, experiencing immortality here and now involves no loss of body, but only the loss of a false sense of body. In our daily meditation, let us realize immortality here and now-the immortality of this body and this universe-in order that we may lose the false sense the world entertains of the body and of the universe. "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death." 1 That may seem very discouraging to many people. Of this we can be sure, however, whether or not it is the last enemy to be overcome, it will never be overcome until we begin the overcoming, until we begin to do something about it. Just going on from one year to another, aimlessly saying, "Oh, well, death will be the last thing to be overcome," is not going to postpone it. If we want to postpone death and finally overcome it, we must begin now. What is death? Death appears to be a momentary cessation of consciousness. But consciousness cannot be or remain unconscious. In fact, consciousness can never become totally unconscious. What we call death is but an apparent lapse into deep unconsciousness, from which we become conscious again, usually upon the same level as that upon which we fell asleep. Body Expresses the Activity of Consciousness The first step in beginning the overcoming of death is the realization that the body does not have any intelligence ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..._ Chapter 7, The Last Enemy.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:34- 104K
Find Similar Documents
Leave Your Nets: Chapter 9, The New Dimension
- ~ 9 ~ THE NEW DIMENSION The human scene continues to unfold day by day, as it has throughout all the days of the past. There is always the temptation to hope that things will be different tomorrow. But left to itself, one day will follow another as days always have. The human scene is a state of inertia; it continues being whatever it is now, usually along the same lines. Nothing will be different tomorrow from what it is today, or from what it has been in the past until a new note is brought into the picture. "Strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. 1 . . . I came not to send peace, but a sword." 2 Up to now, what has been said is gentle and sweet, and good-tasting. Now comes the part that makes the "belly bitter" 3 : the living of this truth. This demands sacrifice and great effort. It will not be too difficult for you to remember the truth that you and the Father are one and all that the Father has is yours: the difficulty comes in living it, and it is only in the living of it that it can be demonstrated. Declaring, "I and my Father are one," 4 or declaring your sonship will be of little help to you. You must assume your obligation as a "son." Part of the responsibility entailed in that relationship lies in your readiness and willingness to leave your "nets" in the sense of stopping your search for health and supply and to rest in the conscious awareness of these as divine gifts already established within your being, even though momentarily not visible outwardly. This means no longer voicing truth, but living the truth of your identity, being willing to be called upon to heal or feed the multitudes. Can you do it? You can, if you realize, "I of my own self cannot do it, but by virtue of my divine sonship, I can. All that the Father has is mine: the gift of healing, the infinity of supply, the joy of sharing and the joy of giving, the wisdom of not bearing resentment, anger, malice, and jealousy." That is ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter 9, The New Dimension.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:41- 106K
Find Similar Documents
Man Was Not Born to Cry: Chapter 11, Breaking the Bonds of Humanhood
- ~ 11 ~ BREAKING THE BONDS OF HUMANHOOD The goal of all spiritual work is God-realization, arriving at a place where we are consciously aware that we are not living our own life, that there is a something, a transcendental presence, that has taken over, that goes before us, and that cares for us. Life eternal and divine harmony come to us in proportion as we know God aright. While this is the most difficult part of our spiritual journey, because it involves releasing every concept of God acquired throughout our lifetime, nevertheless, it has to be the first part of it. We have looked to our concepts of God to bless us, but concepts of God, regardless of how lofty they may be, cannot bless anyone. We can be spiritually blessed only as we come to know him as he is, and that knowing has no relationship whatsoever to any concept of God. It is useless to try to define or analyze God, or to seek to know what he is through the mind. If it were possible to embrace God in our mind, God would be smaller than our mind, and this he cannot be. One way in which we can begin to lose our concepts of God is through contemplation and meditation on the nature of God. Knowing the nature of God is quite different from knowing God itself, just as our individual nature is different from the essence that we really are. Our nature is the outward expression, or set of qualities which we possess, but we ourselves are greater than our qualities, that is, greater than our nature. We may have a kindly nature, a philanthropic nature, or a peaceful one, but that is not we ourselves: we are greater than these. Releasing Concepts of God God is far greater than what we can ever know of his nature. In order to be known, God has to be experienced, and while we can experience God through an awareness of his nature, he cannot be known with the mind or the intellect. The fact that we may have prayed to God, asking for something, is proof positive that we do not know the nature of God, for if we knew his ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...king the Bonds of Humanhood.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:58- 143K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter IX, An Interval in Eternity
- CHAPTER IX AN INTERVAL IN ETERNITY Life has frequently been depicted as a circle, representing eternity, without beginning and without end. If we visualize life in that way and realize that our immediate human span of life is confined within a segment of that circle and that all the other segments of the circle are yet to be encompassed, we can see that within the confines of that circle, there is a past as well as a future. One mystic described this life as "a parenthesis in eternity." This life! Observing life objectively and using the circle as symbolic of all life, it is obvious that we have come from the past into a parenthesis in the circle, and when this parenthesis is removed-the one marking birth and the other marking death-we will be on our way into another parenthesis, or what is called the future. This should help us to understand that our present life on earth is only an interval in eternity. We have come from somewhere and we are going somewhere, but because life is an unending circle, we are again going to come from a somewhere, and we are again going to go to a somewhere, and this will go on, and on, and on. Will it ever end? Who knows? The ancients tell us that when we are perfected, that is, when we live this life as God lives life, in that degree of purity, we will not enter the parenthesis again: we will just live in the circle, outside, beyond, and above all human experience. Even though the unillumined and uninitiated may claim that all this is only speculative, I can tell you that there are those who have completed their cycle of life on earth, and therefore would not have to return to this-world experience. Nevertheless, they do reincarnate, in some cases voluntarily and in others under instructions from those who likewise have been graduated and who perhaps act as spiritual influences behind this earth-plane. That there is an evolutionary life process going on in this human picture, surely few can deny. That human consciousness is unfolding ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...IX, An Interval in Eternity.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:34:59- 110K
Find Similar Documents
Living Between Two Worlds: Chapter 3, Easter, A Rising Out Of Material Sense
- ~ 3 ~ EASTER, A RISING OUT OF MATERIAL SENSE THE MAJOR PRINCIPLE OR REVELATION OF THE INFINITE WAY is that God is consciousness, and that infinite divine Consciousness forms Itself as individual being, as my individual consciousness and yours, not a portion of It, but all of It. Most persons have been taught that man begins from a seed, and they have been led to believe that there is something not quite spiritual about the whole idea of conception and birth. They have thought of creation as an act of man and woman, about which there has always lurked some feeling of wrongness, and in their sense of creation there is something wrong because it means that they are accepting man as a creator. But man is not a creator, and the belief that he is has given rise to the idea that man is brought forth in sin and in iniquity. The truth is that the activity of creation begins with the Spirit of God pouring into individual consciousness as love. That divine love pours from your consciousness into your mind and tangibly it brings unto you your own with whom you are one, and then the idea of love, union, and oneness comes forth as the creation of the next generation. There is nothing sinful, nothing evil, nothing finite, nothing mortal about it at all. It all has its beginning in conscious union with God. While there cannot be a material creation because God is the only creator and God is Spirit, a material sense of creation has been entertained, and that is where this whole feeling of sin or wrongness comes from. All human experience has its foundation in a material sense of a spiritual universe. What is called the immorality and delinquency of this age has its basis in that same material sense, because since our young people have not been taught to understand that their first duty every day is to establish their conscious oneness with the Source so that they are animated throughout the day and night by the Spirit, they have sought satisfaction on the level of mind and body. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ising Out Of Material Sense.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:43- 113K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Discernment: Chapter 4, Immortality Unveiled
- Chapter Four Immortality Unveiled It is not possible to enter into the Christ-consciousness while you are trying to change appearances. Evil becomes less operative in your life, however, as you rise to a place in consciousness where you recognize that God is Spirit, that Spirit alone is power, and that there is no power aside from Spirit-not that there is not a claim of material and mental power in the human world. But you cannot change that until you rise above the material and mental levels into the spiritual, and it is there that you will recognize the illusory nature of all so-called powers. Actually, it is impossible for an illusion to create any real thing. All it can create is a mental image in thought. The world is the temple of God. It is not an illusion even though some Oriental teachings claim it is. The illusion is in our sense of the world. But what has happened to those who have accepted this world as an illusion? "By their fruits ye shall know them."1 Has there been clearly identifiable fruitage? God never created an illusion, and God did create the world which to human sense is seen "through a glass darkly."2 If only it could be seen face to face, this very universe would be the temple of God, as your individual body would be. Your body is the temple of God, but you are seeing it through the universal belief in two powers, and the sooner you come to some measure of realization of one power, the sooner will your body begin to respond. As you learn this principle of the Infinite Way, you will disregard appearances, knowing that you are witnessing these appearances through the illusory sense of the belief in two powers. Impersonal Nature of Error Makes Healing Relatively Easy Infinite Way work is carried on entirely from the standpoint that all evil, regardless of its name or nature, is impersonal and has its source in a universal belief in two powers. It is for this reason that you never take the name of the patient or the disease into your treatment. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 4, Immortality Unveiled.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:14- 121K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: November 1959, Prayer And Treatment Through The Spirit
- CHAPTER ELEVEN: NOVEMBER Prayer and Treatment Through the Spirit PROBABLY one of the greatest differences between the message of The Infinite Way and most other religious teachings, whether orthodox or metaphysical, is that in The Infinite Way no power is given to any word that is spoken or thought. No confidence is placed in mere statements of truth, wordy prayers, affirmations, or denials, unless these are uttered out of a realized spiritual consciousness. No treatment or prayer can rise any higher than the consciousness from which it emanates. None of the truth read in books and none of the statements of truth made to a person-none of this is spiritual power unless it flows out of an attained spiritual consciousness, that is, unless the person making the statement is in the Spirit when he voices truth, writes, thinks, declares it, or prays. Unless he is in the Spirit, his prayer or his treatment will rise no higher than the level of his own mind. If you pray or treat with your three-dimensional human consciousness, some measure of human demonstration or human improvement can be expected, but the amount of that fruitage will only be in proportion to your human faith, or belief, or to your powers of mental concentration. It is somewhat like the fifteen people who are healed every year out of the hundred thousand or so who make pilgrimages to Lourdes. Those fifteen people are healed because of the intensity of their own faith and emotion, and their healing has nothing to do with God. Much metaphysical healing work is accomplished by the faith and emotion of the practitioner, as well as by that of the patient. Sometimes patients bring with them a great deal of hope and confidence when they turn to a practitioner for help -hope, faith, and confidence in God, in the practitioner, or sometimes in a particular approach to truth. But real spiritual demonstration-actual spiritual healing-is largely dependent upon the ability of the individual who is the practitioner to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...reatment Through The Spirit.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:10- 144K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter XXX, God Made This World for Men and Women
- CHAPTER XXX GOD MADE THIS WORLD FOR MEN AND WOMEN Man is a prisoner of his mind. He is locked up inside his mind just as a little chick is locked up inside the egg. If it could look around inside the shell, it would see only darkness; it might even feel a sense of hunger and find no food there, and certainly, above all things, no companionship. In this lone, tightly locked up shell, that little chick must wonder what it has to live for. There is nothing for it to be happy about, but on the other hand, there is also nothing to be unhappy about: it has never known the world so it does not know what it is missing. All it knows is what it is experiencing while locked up inside the shell, and yet it does not even know that it is locked up inside its shell. As far as the chick is concerned, it might stay on there forever, living in that darkness. It might even find enough food in the shell to keep it alive. It would not really be living: it would be existing, and of itself it could no nothing about it. There it is, and it looks as if there it is doomed to be. But fortunately for these little chicks, there is something beyond themselves, there is something that causes a chick to peck at the shell, and to keep pecking and pecking at it until it breaks a hole in it and sees some light. Imagine what goes on in a little chick's mind when it begins to catch a ray of light from outside, and realizes that there is something out there that it has not seen, something it has not felt, some place it has not been. It keeps pecking away, and pecking away. It knows nothing about an outside world; it has no desire to get out; and probably left to itself, it would be satisfied with the comfort of the shell in which it is enfolded; but there is a something that eventually compels the chick to break open that shell and come outside, and find a great big world in which to go looking for food, and other chicks with which to play. In the first six hours that that chick is out of the shell, it ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...his World for Men and Women.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:06- 112K
Find Similar Documents
God The Substance of All Form: Chapter 3, Individual Consciousness as Law
- ~ 3 ~ INDIVIDUAL CONSCIOUSNESS AS LAW Thus saith the Lord, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the Lord which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth. Jeremiah 9:23, 24 This statement from Jeremiah can be carried out in practical experience. We are not to glory in the world of effect, whether that effect appears as person, place, circumstance, condition, or thing, because the substance, the reality, does not lie in any effect. The power and the glory, the substance and the reality, the cause and the law lie in the spirit which produces all that appears to us as form, circumstance, or condition. We can enjoy and use the things of this world, but our faith and confidence must not be centered in the world or in the things of the world. Our faith and confidence must be in the spirit which produces, forms, and animates all that exists. No Power Acts upon Us The Infinite Way teaches that man is consciousness and that that very consciousness is the cause of body, business, and home. Many people believe that a discordant body, business, or home is due to a power outside of themselves, acting upon them. As long as we accept the belief that there is a power outside of us, just that long will we be seeking to get in touch with a good power to do something for us. If the belief is accepted that a law of time is acting upon our bodies and mentalities, our experience will be on that level. There is no power operating in our experience separate from our own consciousness, but as long as we believe that there is such a power and as long as we are trying to get in touch with it, we shall never contact it. The world has been praying to God for things. It is no more sensible to pray to God for things than it is to pray to the principle of electricity to light your house. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...vidual Consciousness as Law.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:34- 113K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 30, War
- ~ 30 ~ WAR Of all the so-called errors on earth, war is the belief most likely to ensnare the Christian Scientist into accepting an illusion as reality. The reason for this is that there always seem to be two sides; one on the right side defending "democracy," "modern society," "Christianity," "freedom," while the other, on the wrong side, would destroy these precious gifts from God to man (which gifts, it would seem, God is not able to preserve without the help of defenders). I am not referring exclusively to either of the "World Wars" because these same conditions have existed in all wars throughout the ages. Christian Scientists cannot say, "A thousand shall fall at thy (my) side, and ten thousand at thy (my) right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee (me)," 1 unless they see through the snare of a right side and a wrong side and realize that there is no such condition as right and wrong because there is no war, no error, no sin, disease or death: God is all; God is omnipresent; God is the only life and being, and in this life which is one there can be no conflicting forces, energies, or desires. Christian Science teachers and practitioners throughout the world, daily assure their students and their patients that there is no disease; that the appearance of such is but the false testimony of human sense; that they are not to fear error nor believe in its reality or power. They are taught and they teach that God is the only mind. Shall they not be consistent and remember that, as this divine mind is the universal mind, and therefore the mind of individual being, there is no lack of intelligence and love in this mind and therefore these qualities of love, intelligence, harmony and peace are the actual and only states of being here and now, regardless of human testimony to the contrary. Only in the degree that we, as disciples of truth and love, maintain in our consciousness this truth of being, shall we be lifted up so as to "draw all men unto me," and thereby ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...arly Years_ Chapter 30, War.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:48- 87K
Find Similar Documents