The Heart of Mysticism: August 1958, The Father-Consciousness
- CHAPTER EIGHT: AUGUST The Father-Consciousness ALL the inharmony of human existence arises because of a lack of understanding of our true identity. This has brought about a sense of separation between us and God, which in turn has separated us from our good. This is similar to the situation in which a person might find himself were he the possessor of a substantial bank account, the existence of which he has forgotten, and because of his failure to remember, he thereby suffers from lack. The remembrance of that bank account would eliminate the lack and immediately restore harmony to his financial affairs. In like manner, a child who, for one reason or another, becomes separated from his parents and is on his own, alone, feels the necessity of shifting for himself and, therefore, puts forth varying degrees of effort to find a place for himself in the world, whereas the rediscovery of his parents and the return to his home would again establish him in his harmony and sense of security. Such is the story of the prodigal son. The son had everything-a rich father, a good home, and a well-established position in life. Then came the desire to be something of himself, to achieve something of and on his own. Very quickly he used up his substance: The supply that had been stored up for him was depleted because it was not now being renewed. The son no longer had contact with his source-his father's house. At the end of the road, he came to the realization that even his father's servants were far more fortunate than was he, and slowly he began the return to the father's house. But while he was yet a long way off, his father came out to greet him, to re-establish him in his home, in his sonship, in his heirhood, and all was well again. Humanhood Is a State of Separation from the Father Such is the story of all human beings. We are all prodigals. What is the fall of man but a sense of separation from God? It is the descent from divine Consciousness to the belief and acceptance of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...8, The Father-Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:58- 128K
Find Similar Documents
Living by the Word: Chapter 9, I Have
- Chapter Nine I Have In the mean while his disciples prayed him, saying, Master, eat. But he said unto them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of. John 4:31,32 This passage of scripture has meant much to me, not only in my personal life, but in the unfoldment of the entire message of the Infinite Way. It is one that I share freely with the students because it illustrates an important spiritual principle. When contemplated and eventually understood, this passage is sufficient to lift anyone out of a mortal sense of life into divine consciousness; it is sufficient to change the entire nature of one's life on earth, to transform lack into abundance and sickness into health. To human sense, everyone lacks something, and everyone is aware of that lack. Surprisingly enough, the little bit a person lacks is as nothing compared with what he already has, and yet instead of abiding in the awareness of what he already has, he takes that for granted, magnifying and multiplying what he has not by letting it occupy his thought, attention, and prayers. When he turns from the little that he has and begins to ponder the abundance of what he has, he discovers many miracles of Grace. The first one that pops into his thought is: "I have life. It is really comforting to know that. Life is God, and if I have life, I have God. If I have God, what more could I want?" It has been said that if a person had God and everything else in the world, he would have nothing more than if he had only God. God is infinite; God is all- inclusive; God embodies all there is. When one discovers that he has God, he also discovers that he has no other needs. To have the understanding that God constitutes one's very life brings with it the conviction that he is already eternal and immortal. If a person abides in the truth that he has meat the world knows not of, that he has that water, wine, and bread of life, he soon discovers that he has everything needful for his unfoldment without taking thought for his ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...the Word_ Chapter 9, I Have.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:49- 125K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: The Law
- THE LAW THE FIRST COMMANDMENT, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me," is an admonition to look to one source for our good and it indicates that Me or I AM is that source. To this law all must render obedience. I am the one who must obey it. If I lived in the constant awareness of my true identity, it would be impossible for any one to interfere with my demonstration of harmonious, fruitful and eternal life, and if men always heeded the First Commandment, the journey into the Kingdom of God would be a quick one. Obedience to this command requires strict mental discipline. It means that every time you are tempted to place confidence in a power outside yourself, you must mentally argue with yourself (use the law) until you have brought yourself back into the presence and power of your own consciousness. This mental warfare is the law - the letter of truth - and always leads to the Spirit of Truth when faithfully followed. This, the First Commandment, then, is a law which you must literally obey - have no other presence or power than the Universal Consciousness, which is the consciousness of the individual, of you. You exist as infinite, individual, spiritual consciousness. You are not body. You are not limited mind or mentality. You are consciousness. What is this "I" which possesses body, business, home, talent, genius? It is not body. Feet, arms, legs, head - these are mine. But what is this "I" or "Me", that possesses them? There is only one "I", one Ego, one Consciousness. It is God. "I" am therefore universal. It is the "I" of me - individual Ego appearing as you, as me, as all so-called individual men and women. Individual existence is the continuous unfoldment of experience from within your own being. Nothing and no one exists outside your own consciousness. What we behold as person and thing is the idea of reality unfolding as our consciousness. There is in all the universe but one power, and I am that law and power. The consciousness which I am, the only I ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ation of Scripture_ The Law.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:19- 95K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 21, Business
- ~ 21 ~ BUSINESS This is a word on business: "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free," 1 and the truth that you must know is that you are already free. All business is God's business regardless of its nature. The only food there is, is the "bread of life" which God alone serves; the only water is the "water of life" which freely flows from God to man, and the wine of inspiration which has its fount in heaven. God supplies all these to his children (receptive thoughts), that he may be fully expressed. Drop the weight of responsibility from your shoulders. "Stand ye still" and let love provide the customers, the volume, and the profits. Allow no thought of competition to enter. You are not dependent on material conditions for your business. The lie of mortal mind is that you are dependent on weather, prosperity, surroundings, or no competition for your success. On the contrary, these are human thoughts and they are the weights which must be put aside. We are told to "lay aside every weight . . . which doth so easily beset us." 2 Prepare thought for the day's business and mentally invite the world. Know that love fills all space, that every corner of your world is filled with divine ideas that express joy, gratitude, and love. Keep thought away from transactions. Just hold to the truth that Christ has invited all to "come unto me"-be served of him. Do not give or receive "treatments" for the success of business, but know constantly that divine intelligence is continually expressing itself in your business; that divine love is eternally being manifested in it; that mind produces all the needed activity; that love supplies the currency; that principle is forever expressing itself in harmonious, active, and complete business. Let no thought of conditions, weather, competition, enter to mar your faith and trust in the fact that truth is now expressed as your business. As a matter of fact, truth is your only business, the embodiment of harmony, complete ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Years_ Chapter 21, Business.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:46- 89K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter XIX, Attaining Divine Sonship
- CHAPTER XIX ATTAINING DIVINE SONSHIP When we have encompassed the First and Second Degrees, a new dimension of life, an entirely different area of consciousness, opens up to us. In that moment there is something within us that is no longer a quotation, an affirmation, or a recalling of truth: it is an experience. We have entered the Third Degree, where we no longer live by the standards of this world, where the values are different, and life is governed not so much by what the outer law is as by what our inner integrity is. It is at this point that we pass from law to Grace. As human beings we live under man-made laws which continue to operate as long as we remain in ignorance, and until we are awakened, we are held in slavery to all kinds of mental and physical laws. As we come to an awareness of a spiritual Presence within us, we gradually become immune to these laws because as we pass into the third stage, the Presence lives our life, and It cannot be influenced, nor can It be acted upon by physical or mental laws: It is immune to them for they are only theories, superstitions, and the universal belief in two powers. In proportion as the son of God is raised up in us, these laws do not operate, and not only are we not receptive or responsive to them, but we aid in nullifying them for others who may come to us. When an immunity is developed to material and mental laws, we live in an entirely different world because then we do not have to take the law into consideration, nor do we have to be concerned about things. Having found the kingdom of God and dwelling in it, something else is taking over the responsibility for our entire experience. The government is on His shoulder, on this divine Son which in the Third Degree is now raised up in us. In our humanhood It was dormant; It stood by and could do nothing. Regardless of what wrong was done to us, we had to resign ourselves to it unless our human wisdom or strength could provide an escape for us, and in most cases ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...X, Attaining Divine Sonship.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:00- 97K
Find Similar Documents
God The Substance of All Form: Chapter 6, Developing a Healing Consciousness
- ~ 6 ~ DEVELOPING A HEALING CONSCIOUSNESS Remember that the treatment is not the healing agency. The healing agency is the consciousness that is developed through the realization of the treatment. It is the Christ-consciousness of the practitioner that is the healing agency. Everyone has that Christ-consciousness as a potential, but it has to be developed, and its development is begun by overcoming in some degree the fear of disease and the fear or love of sin. Only that consciousness which has, in a measure, been purged of its hates and fears is a healing agency. People are drawn to the practitioner who has a realized Christ-consciousness, and that is why such a practitioner is so busy. Therefore, in the earlier stages of your work, treatment is necessary, or at least helpful, to lift consciousness up to the point of realization. By treatment, I do not mean any formula, any special words, but I mean realizing, no matter what the claim is that is brought to you, that right there is the wholeness, harmony, dominion, and perfection of the one God, and that harmony is, therefore, universal, impersonal, and impartial. God, the Only Activity When called upon for help where the substance of the human body seems to be involved, it must be clear that spirit, being the only substance, must be the substance and the form of the body, and spirit, being omnipresent, the perfect form also must always be present, regardless of the appearance. Spirit in all its infinite form and variety is omnipresent. While the senses say that the power or substance is in the form, spiritual illumination reveals that the power, substance, and law are ever in spirit. Let us assume that the claim is one of inaction or underaction. The bowels, the blood, or some other part of the body may be affected. Your first realization would be that all action is the activity of consciousness, that it would be an impossibility for the body to have either good or bad action because all action is the activity of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ing a Healing Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:34- 104K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: Darkness to Light
- DARKNESS TO LIGHT UNLESS GOD shows forth our existence, we will labor in vain to make a success of life. So we take for a starting point the first verse of the 127th Psalm: "Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain." It is possible to achieve great things in life through human means. Men have become wealthy, risen to great political and military power, achieved great things with the human mind and will, but in many cases the results of human effort have not been permanent or have not given the happiness that was promised. Unless God produce for us, the product is apt not to be lasting or satisfying. When God produces for us our work is fruitful and brings happiness and joy with it. What is happiness? George Bernard Shaw writes: "This is true joy in life: the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one. The being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap-heap; the being a force of nature instead of a little clot of illnesses complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy." In his comment of Shaw's wisdom, John Mason Brown writes: "What happiness is, no person can say for another; but no one, I am sure, can be happy who lives only for himself. The joy of living comes only from immersion in something - anything - bigger, better, more enduring, worthier than we (humans) are. People, ideas, causes - these are for the one possible escape - not merely from selfishness, but from the hungers of solitude and the sorrows of aimlessness. Don't turn your back deliberately on the procession. Existence is a strange bargain. Life owes us little, we owe it everything. The only true happiness comes from dedicating ourselves to a purpose." Indeed, you are here as a part of a great cause. You are that place where God shines through. There is no way for God to express Itself finitely. You are infinite. In realizing your true identity, you have ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...cripture_ Darkness to Light.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:16- 88K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter XII, The Discovery of the Self
- ... If we are to find that Kingdom, therefore, we shall have to seek inside to find it, for that is where it is; and if we wish to show our love for God, we shall have to express love to one another because that is where we will find the God to love. If we want to serve God, we had better learn to serve one another, because only in that way can we serve the Father that sent you and me into expression. Every bit of love that we express is a love that is expressed to us. When we are expressing love impersonally to the downtrodden and abandoned people of the world, we are really expressing love to ourselves because the Self of those others is the Self of us. This is the Way: there is but one Self. I am that Self; and I am that Self even if I am appearing as you. I am that Self, even when I am appearing as the beggar or the thief. Is it not easy, then, to forgive, knowing that I am forgiving myself, that I am forgiving my own ignorance, forgiving my ignorance even when it appears as someone else? "Love is the fulfilling of the law." Therefore, love is the Way, and this means the love that I express, for I am the Way. I must express love, forgiveness, and patience; I must pray that the light of the world be revealed even in the darkest consciousness. I must do unto others as I would have others do unto me, because the I of me is the I of the other: we are one. The Self of me is the Self of you, because there is only one Self, and this is God's Self. This is oneness; this is divine sonship. The spiritual way of life is a recognition of oneness, sonship. The Way brings the recognition that the I of me and the I of you are one and the same I. The I AM that I am is the I AM that you are, because this is the I AM that God is, and God is the I AM which is the I AM of you and the I AM of me. Therefore, the recognition of I AM-ness is the Way. It is some measure of this realization that enables us to live as if I am you and you are the I that I am, and therefore we are one; and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..., The Discovery of the Self.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:00- 116K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 8, Ordination
- ~ 8 ~ ORDINATION I AM GOING TO READ SOME NOTES that I made last night. No, I guess it was this morning; they began about three thirty and ended at five. You took last night's lesson on "error and its nature" so beautifully that tonight I feel that I can give you your freedom; I can give you your freedom from what Jesus called "the world" or "this world." If you can receive this freedom tonight, it will be your holiest night on earth. I give you two statements from the Master: "My kingdom is not of this world," 1 and, "I have overcome the world." 2 In the history of the world, only three men are known to have discovered the complete secret of life of their own accord. These men are Lao-Tzu of China, about 600 B.C.; Buddha of India, about 550 B.C.; and Jesus of Nazareth. Through Jesus, the full revelation came to the beloved disciple John on the Isle of Patmos. Through Jesus, I received it in an unfoldment, first from the statement in the Bible, "My kingdom is not of this world." "My kingdom is not of this world" became the subject of my meditation for many months. I did not choose it, it clung to me. Then, "I have overcome the world." Finally came the realization of the meaning of these statements. I have never known this to be taught since it was received by John, except in his own veiled writing. If you can receive it tonight, God has indeed blessed you beyond all living men and women. Friends, to overcome the world means to overcome or rise above all sense of desire; to be free of world attraction; to achieve being in the world but not of it; to attain freedom from bondage to personal ego; to understand the spiritual world and thus gain freedom from the false sense of God's universe. As we humanly see this world, we are seeing God's heaven, but seeing it "through a glass darkly." To overcome this world means to rise above the human, finite, erroneous sense of this world, and see it as it is. John told us, you remember, that in that day we will see him as he is and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...tion_ Chapter 8, Ordination.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:20- 95K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 9, Making the Adjustment
- ~ 9 ~ MAKING THE ADJUSTMENT NOW I WANT TO EXPLAIN that for tonight at least, I would like you to be very indulgent and very patient while we do a little adjusting. This is the first class I have ever had where we represent such varying states of consciousness. Because of that I want to make a little explanation and then bring together the adjustment of thought. Some here are widely experienced in metaphysical work from the standpoint of the Christian Science viewpoint; some are widely experienced in metaphysical work from the standpoint of other metaphysical approaches; others are almost beginners in metaphysical work and the spiritual approach to life. So, when I talk I am reaching three different thought patterns and expecting all those three to understand the same thing in the same way and it can't be done. For that reason I think this evening should be devoted to bringing about a sort of equalization to see if everybody tonight, after a week of being together, can see what the approach is; then from here on, for everyone to understand the language we use and all that it means. For that reason I would like to start this evening off with questions-questions from you to me and, if necessary, some from me to you. We will see if we can, by means of these questions, answer some of the differences that may exist. One reason for all of this is that I doubt there is any teaching now current that parallels this one. I don't mean by that, that there is any truth we are expressing or voicing that isn't included in all teaching; I don't mean that. I mean that the particular approach, the particular meaning of the truth or use of the truth or the purpose of the teaching is probably different from almost any other teaching in the metaphysical field. To begin with, I will explain this. On the positive side, which is the side of right identification, we are standing wholly on the revelation of Jesus as given in the Gospel according to John. We are not deviating from that in any ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...er 9, Making the Adjustment.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:20- 124K
Find Similar Documents