God The Substance of All Form: Chapter 9, Nature of the Individual as Consciousness
- ~ 9 ~ NATURE OF THE INDIVIDUAL AS CONSCIOUSNESS Probably the most important point in all spiritual living is the question: What is God? Investigation of differing concepts of God indicates that some people think of God as Mother, others as Father, still others as mind or law or principle, and latterly as the combination Father-Mother. If the concept is illumined, one term is not much more important or adequate than another, but our manner of worship often limits our concept of the infinite to a finite form. The greatest statement ever made on the subject of the name or nature of God is that if you can name it, that is not it. And that is true. If you give it any name at all, you are naming something other than yourself, and that cannot be God because the self doing the naming is none other than God. In the same way, there cannot really be a search for truth because the searcher is truth. "I am the way, the truth, and the life." 1 How can I seek life eternal, since I am that eternal life, itself? The Nature of God Any term or name you might give to God is of itself erroneous, since it implies duality. The experience of the Hindu leader, Ramakrishna, who lived late in the last century, is interesting from this viewpoint. From early childhood, starting out as an altar boy in a temple, he was filled with a great longing for God; he was God-hungry. God was always Mother, and inasmuch as one of the gods of Oriental Scripture was known as Mother Kali, Ramakrishna used this designation, Mother Kali, when referring to God. She became such a reality to him that he insisted on paying his devotions and saying his prayers to her. One day, a great spiritual woman came to Ramakrishna and offered to lift him to the highest degree of spiritual consciousness in which he would realize his oneness with God. Ramakrishna accepted, and the woman remained with him for some time, meditating with him until she finally lifted his consciousness to where he could say, "Ah, I am!" He had the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Individual as Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:35- 125K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: August 1955, Essential Points in Infinite Way Practice
- ... Although outwardly it may seem that you have but one dollar, in the recognition of the infinite nature of your own being you can take at least one coin and say, "Out of the visible evidence of my infinity, I will share that which I have." On the scale of the Spirit, money is the least of that which we have to give, so let us not look to the purse to see how many dollars we have. "Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee." Turn to the infinite consciousness within and see how much of forgiveness, justice, kindness, freedom, harmony and wholeness you can bestow. Count your wealth by the realization of your Sonship with God. Every truth that has been revealed from the beginning of time is given as living scripture, to be embodied within you, lived and practiced. "I and my Father are one. . . . All things that the Father hath are mine," does not mean anything unless you are willing to take that truth into consciousness, and practice it daily by beginning to give and to ... A teacher who has learned spiritual wisdom has a responsibility far beyond teaching A-B-Cs and 1- 2-3s, and that is to realize that these are not child-minds and child-bodies, but that each is the Mind of God, disclosing and revealing Itself; each is the Temple of the living God, unfolding normally, joyfully, innocently and harmoniously. Philosophy and religion teach that we are poor, weak mortals, and yet they acknowledge that God is our Father. Is that not a sin? God is our Father, therefore we are divine sons, subject only to the government of the Father! We are Children of God, and we have the infinite spiritual storehouse of the Father to draw upon for life and love, for forgiveness, justice and mercy, for integrity, loyalty and fidelity. The very Soul of God is your individual Soul, and it is out of that Soul (the kingdom of God within you) that your good flows. However, it is available only in the degree of your knowing the truth, consciously realizing it, practicing and making ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ts in Infinite Way Practice.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:57- 137K
Find Similar Documents
The Mystical I: Chapter Six, Impersonalizing God
- CHAPTER SIX IMPERSONALIZING GOD If someone were to ask you, "What is this Infinite Way? What is there about it that holds your interest and apparently benefits you?" you would probably have a difficult time answering, because what holds and benefits you and is your Comforter is something you know with your fourth-dimensional Consciousness, and if you should try to impart it to someone still living in the third-dimensional or material state of consciousness, he would never understand what you were attempting to tell him. In trying to explain this you might say, "Oh, I have learned that evil is not power," and then, of course, you would be ridiculed. If you said, "I have discovered God," you would then be asked to explain that, and anyone who has ever been called upon to tell what he has found out about God knows how foolish it would be to try. No one can do that, because whatever it is you may know about God you do not know with your mind. To have any awareness of God means that you have already broken through the area of mind and have been lifted into the higher consciousness. Whatever you may know about God, you know through your spiritual awareness, through your developed spiritual discernment, through the soul-faculties. To try to tell this to a person living out from a materialistic consciousness would be nonsensical, if not impossible. UNIVERSALITY AND AVAILABILITY OF THE MIND THAT WAS IN CHRIST JESUS The Infinite Way begins with the revelation that there is a transcendental consciousness, which in Christian mysticism is called Christ-consciousness and in Buddhism is called the Buddha-mind. In either case, what is meant is that there is a consciousness higher than the human mind. This is not a matter of general knowledge. True, there may be those who accept the idea that Buddha had that spiritual consciousness and that Jesus had the mind that was in Christ, but there are not many who understand that this Christ-mind, or consciousness, is universal to all men, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...er Six, Impersonalizing God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:32- 100K
Find Similar Documents
Man Was Not Born to Cry: Chapter 7, The Power to Become the Son of God
- ~ 7 ~ THE POWER TO BECOME THE SON OF GOD Life is a matter of individual demonstration. Hundreds of persons may be exposed to the same truth, but only a few will benefit from it. The words each person reads may be the same, and the consciousness back of those words the same, but the difference lies in individual receptivity and individual responsiveness to the spiritual word. The benefit derived by any person results by virtue of some active receptivity within him. Those of you who have had experience in the healing work must realize this. If ten patients come into your orbit in a single day and you give the same degree of integrity to each one, the same understanding, consciousness, and faithfulness in treatment, one of them may receive an instantaneous healing; three, very quick healing; three, long drawn out and protracted healing; and others, no healing. Why is that? In every case, the treatment was equally able and faithful, so what is the difference? The difference is in the degree of spiritual receptivity in the consciousness of the person who is seeking your help. He may have it in great or slight degree, or he may have no spiritual receptivity whatsoever. That is no reason for criticism or praise because no one is responsible for the degree of his receptivity or spiritual integrity. That is a matter over which he has no control. Some people have come into this world more spiritually blessed and more spiritually receptive than others, whereas some have come into this world more materialistically inclined, and they, therefore, will have a greater struggle developing the necessary spiritual receptivity and responsiveness. When a practitioner begins to work with a patient or student, it is not possible to know whether he will have an instantaneous or a slow healing because the practitioner does not know the factors that are involved. He does not know what there is in the patient's consciousness that may be blocking the message or preventing the spiritual ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...er to Become the Son of God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:57- 128K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Power of Truth: Chapter 10, A Harmonious Universe
- CHAPTER 10 A Harmonious Universe THERE IS an ancient Hebraic belief that when the Messiah came, He would be a great and mighty king and general, that he would free the Hebrews from the slavery of Rome, and probably even free them from the horrible influences of their own Temple, their own ecclesiastical hierarchy. When the Messiah came-as Jesus-He said, "I have overcome the world." This must have been terribly mystifying to the Hebrews, because they were still under Rome and they were still under the hierarchy of the Temple. As far as they could see, the world was just as wicked as it had been before, and certainly it was just as rough on them as it had been before. The only things that He showed forth at all in His ministry to them were some individual healings and two or three feedings, which is not really great demonstration over a three-year period, if you are judging by these outer changes. So it is that we are very apt to think of God, or the Christ, as temporal power, and then try to send it out to do something for us, like changing the weather or stopping fires or bringing peace on earth. The longer we look in that direction, the longer we shall fail. The function of the activity of Christ is to transform consciousness. The outer world is only a product, or the added things, of the change of consciousness. In other words, if we have come to a place of peace with ourselves, between ourselves; if we have attained a state of consciousness in which we manifest love to each other-joy, gratitude, cooperation-it is only because we have had a change of consciousness to that degree. There could be no peace in the outer experience except in proportion to whatever change has taken place in our own consciousness. Instead of looking out and wondering what Truth will do for us or what this one or that one will do for us, if we are looking out in the sense of gratitude that we have a contribution to make in spiritual sharing, we have had a transformation of consciousness, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...r 10, A Harmonious Universe.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:22- 100K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter XI, The Nature of Spiritual Power
- CHAPTER XI THE NATURE OF SPIRITUAL POWER The development of spiritual consciousness is possible when we learn that there is only one power. If we can rise in spiritual vision to the apprehension of the one truth that God is, that God is infinite and omnipotent, and therefore nothing else or nobody else is power, that is enough. This is spiritual discernment. To the world, there are great powers and little powers, but he who is anchored in spiritual consciousness knows that no weapon that is formed against him shall prosper. If we accepted that literally, we would believe that there is a deadly weapon that could prosper except that God in some way is going to save us from it. To the uninitiated, that passage would indicate, "I have an enemy who has a deadly atomic bomb, and I know what it can do to me, but fortunately God says that no weapon that is formed against me shall prosper, and therefore I am now immune, and this deadly weapon can no longer harm me." But the weapon does do harm when it is let loose in the world. And this is because people do not understand the real meaning of no weapon having power over them. The truth is that no deadly weapon has power because Life is God; and God has never made anything to destroy His own immortality and eternality. God is our life: we are eternal and immortal. If we look out at this life through our mind, we are subject to every manner of deadly weapon: germs, bullets, bombs, and so many other things we need not rehearse them. Even an automobile on the road can be a very deadly weapon, and, above all, the calendar is so deadly that all we have to do is to keep looking at it for threescore years and ten, and then any day we are due for extinction. But the deadliest weapon of all is the mind of man that believes in two powers, and therefore accepts a mind of its own in which evil is a power. Neither bullet-proof vests nor bomb-proof shelters can save us from that weapon. Only in the understanding that we are life eternal, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...e Nature of Spiritual Power.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:00- 108K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: August 1956, Contemplative Meditation
- ... But never should one be encouraged or even consider leaving his human surroundings until the call is unmistakable. Only in this way will the spiritual men and women of the world be worthy of their calling. When this is thoroughly understood there will no longer be false prophets and false teachers, nor will people leave the human world for what they consider the spiritual world before they are called. It also will be understood that each individual is called to fulfill some specific spiritual function in the divine plan; therefore there will be no lack, no disease, no war, and no unhappiness; and every individual will be cared for physically, mentally, morally, and economically. There are those who must be saints and seers and spiritual teachers, just as there are those who must fill positions in the family, business, and government; but each one who fulfills any of these in the realization of his spiritual destiny fulfills it harmoniously, joyously, successfully; with love, generosity, and forgiveness. The greatest privilege that can ever come to an individual is that of sharing the grace of God which is received and revealed in the silence and secrecy of the heart. The most sacred work on earth is the giving and sharing of God's riches of spiritual wisdom. My own heart is full of gratitude that God has spoken to me in silence, in sacredness, and in secrecy, and then permitted me to share these spiritual gems with others. One of the greatest human privileges that has ever been mine is the rare opportunity to travel to far places, and to encounter such enlightened souls as our beloved Swami Ramdas, who so liberally shared his spiritual gems as he travelled the world last year. I am sure Swami Ramdas knows my great joy in being permitted to speak on these occasions at Anandashram. To all of you, may I say that you have given me far more than I have been permitted to give you-more in spiritual memories than I will be able to store up in the next three or four ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...6, Contemplative Meditation.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:57- 154K
Find Similar Documents
Conscious Union with God: Chapter 12, Opening Consciousness to Truth
- ~ 12 ~ OPENING CONSCIOUSNESS TO TRUTH Spiritual healing is a conscious work and cannot be accomplished by sitting around blissfully saying, "Well, let God do it." True, there does come a time when you can legitimately use that expression, but if you were to say it during the early stages of your unfoldment, you would probably be thinking of a God separate and apart from your own being, something outside of you that could do something for you. Such an attitude might cause you to lose your way on the spiritual path through a blind faith. In healing work, open your consciousness and take the attitude of Samuel, "Speak, Lord; for thy servant heareth." 1 "Be still, and know that I am God" 2 - know that the I is pouring Itself forth as individual you. You can visualize this by once again recalling the illustration of Niagara Falls and Lake Erie. Let us suppose that you are Niagara Falls and, in and of yourself, you are continuously using up yourself so that ultimately there is nothing left. But if you were to realize that behind Niagara Falls there is Lake Erie, and as a matter of fact, actually there is no Niagara Falls-Niagara Falls is only a name given to Lake Erie at one corner of it where it flows over a precipice-there would be no sense of limitation or depletion. So it is with us. We call ourselves man, but actually we are not: We are that place where God is forever pouring Himself forth as individual you and me. There is really no place where God ends and man begins. That which is visible of us is God-we are God become visible. We are that point where God comes to a focus in an individual, yet infinite manner. There is no place where man and God can be separated and where you can say that here is man and there is God, any more than you can say that up to a certain point there is a Lake Erie and from that point on there is a Niagara Falls. Niagara Falls and Lake Erie are not two but one, and all that Lake Erie is, Niagara is; all that Lake Erie has, Niagara has; ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ning Consciousness to Truth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:18- 127K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Unfolding: Chapter 3, God Revealing the Infinity of Being
- ~ 3 ~ GOD REVEALING THE INFINITY OF BEING The words of wise men are heard in quiet more than the cry of him that ruleth among fools. Ecclesiastes 9:17 We are surrounded at all times by what Scripture calls "angels," which hover about us always. Within us are those divine ideas or spiritual impulses which guide, lead, and direct us, even though as human beings we are not aware of them. As human beings, brought up with the ordinary church experience or with no church at all, we are not aware of the fact that we are constantly under divine government, divine guidance. In reality we are under the law of the Spirit of God, and under the spirit of the law of God. In practice, we walk around like the Prodigal, thinking, "I, of mine own self, am something and I am going out into the world to make a name for myself, to earn a living for myself, and to become something great of and by myself." Thereby, we set up a counterfeit identity and develop concern about the health, wealth, success, and contacts of this counterfeit identity. Yet, all the time, even though probably we have never thought of it, we have been completely surrounded by an atmosphere of love and completely enveloped in divine Being. As a matter of fact, we are divine Being. We are the Father-consciousness Itself, but we have walked about in the world, believing that consciousness to be something small, finite, insignificant, and unimportant. The purpose of this ministry is to bring us back to the Father's house, back to a consciousness of the presence and power of God. We are in this work but for one purpose-to be led back to the kingdom of our own consciousness in which God is manifested as divine wisdom, as divine love, as life, truth, permanence, immortality, and eternality. Synonyms for God For a moment, let us consider the synonyms for God, taking just a few with which we are familiar. We know God as infinite being, and therefore, we take each of the synonyms for God as representing the allness and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...aling the Infinity of Being.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:29- 146K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: The Law
- THE LAW THE FIRST COMMANDMENT, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me," is an admonition to look to one source for our good and it indicates that Me or I AM is that source. To this law all must render obedience. I am the one who must obey it. If I lived in the constant awareness of my true identity, it would be impossible for any one to interfere with my demonstration of harmonious, fruitful and eternal life, and if men always heeded the First Commandment, the journey into the Kingdom of God would be a quick one. Obedience to this command requires strict mental discipline. It means that every time you are tempted to place confidence in a power outside yourself, you must mentally argue with yourself (use the law) until you have brought yourself back into the presence and power of your own consciousness. This mental warfare is the law - the letter of truth - and always leads to the Spirit of Truth when faithfully followed. This, the First Commandment, then, is a law which you must literally obey - have no other presence or power than the Universal Consciousness, which is the consciousness of the individual, of you. You exist as infinite, individual, spiritual consciousness. You are not body. You are not limited mind or mentality. You are consciousness. What is this "I" which possesses body, business, home, talent, genius? It is not body. Feet, arms, legs, head - these are mine. But what is this "I" or "Me", that possesses them? There is only one "I", one Ego, one Consciousness. It is God. "I" am therefore universal. It is the "I" of me - individual Ego appearing as you, as me, as all so-called individual men and women. Individual existence is the continuous unfoldment of experience from within your own being. Nothing and no one exists outside your own consciousness. What we behold as person and thing is the idea of reality unfolding as our consciousness. There is in all the universe but one power, and I am that law and power. The consciousness which I am, the only I ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ation of Scripture_ The Law.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:19- 95K
Find Similar Documents