Practicing the Presence: Chapter V, Love Thy Neighbor
- ... If we are harboring within us personal animosity, or if we are indulging in national or religious hatred, prejudice, or bigotry, our prayers are worthless. We must go to God with clean hands in order to pray, and to approach God with clean hands, we must relinquish our animosities. Within ourselves, we must first of all pray the prayer of forgiveness for those who have offended us, since they know not what they do; and secondly, acknowledge within ourselves: "I stand in relationship to God as a son, and therefore, I stand in relationship to every man as a brother." When we have established that state of purity within ourselves, then we can ask the Father: Give me grace; give me understanding; give me peace; give me this day my daily bread-give me this day spiritual bread, spiritual understanding. Give me forgiveness, even for those harmless trespasses which I have unwittingly committed. The person who turns within for light, for grace, for understanding, and for forgiveness never fails in his prayers. The law of God is the law of love, the law of loving our enemies-not fearing them, not hating them, but loving them. No matter what an individual does to us, we are not to strike back. To resist evil, to retaliate, or to seek revenge is to acknowledge evil as reality. If we resist evil, if we refute ... Let us never accept a human being into our consciousness who needs healing, employing, or enriching because if we do, we are his enemy instead of his friend. If there is any man, woman, or child we believe to be sick, sinning, or dying, let us do no praying until we have made peace with that brother. The peace we must make with that brother is to ask forgiveness for making the mistake of sitting in judgment on any individual because everyone is God in expression. All is God manifested. God alone constitutes this universe; God constitutes the life, the mind, and the Soul of every individual. "Thou shalt not bear false witness against they neighbor" has a much broader ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter V, Love Thy Neighbor.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:02- 108K
Find Similar Documents
Realization of Oneness: Chapter 10, It Shall Not Come Nigh Thee
- 10) "It Shall Not Come Nigh Thee" If you have studied the preceding chapters carefully, you should be beginning to understand that the universal belief of good and evil operates hypnotically upon every person in the world. Every phase of discord that comes into any person's experience is a mesmeric influence from which he has not learned to protect himself. What with automobile collisions, sudden storms, and even coconuts falling from the trees, a person who leaves his home in the morning has no positive assurance that he will return safely at night. Every morning of the week, safety engineers forecast approximately how many accidental deaths will occur that day. They cannot tell who will be the victims, but those casualties could be you or me or anyone else. Man has become a statistic. But no one wants to be a statistic. No one wants to fall victim to an accident. How, then, can such mishaps and catastrophes be avoided? Is there a way? Yes, there most certainly is, if those who have been taught the principles of one power, impersonalization, and "nothingization" can break through their mental inertia in the morning to the extent of consciously realizing: There is but one Power operating in this universe. It is not a power of accident, death, disease, or sin. This Power is the same Power that causes the sun to rise and to set at its appointed time, and the tides to ebb and flow. The Power that is operating in this universe is the same Power that is operating in my consciousness, and It operates as the law unto my experience. There is no power in any mesmeric suggestion of accident. There is no power in any belief of infection or contagion. There is no power in the carnal mind, in any of its forms, or in any of its beliefs, individual or collective. "A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee." 1 To whom does that refer? To whom but the person who dwells "in the secret place of the most High" 2 -not one who ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...It Shall Not Come Nigh Thee.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:05- 143K
Find Similar Documents
Realization of Oneness: Chapter 12, Infinite Way Principles and World Affairs
- 12) Infinite Way Principles and World Affairs For the most part, those who have been interested in a metaphysical or spiritual approach to life have thought almost entirely in terms of what it would do for them. They have been primarily interested in whether it would heal them or their families, prosper them, or perhaps be the means of their finding some happiness, a home, or better health. I know that you realize that those days are past. It really is not going to make any great difference whether we are sick or well, rich or poor, happy or unhappy if the world does not stay in one piece. This, therefore, is the time when it should be comparatively easy to follow the Master and take no thought for our life because suddenly our life as an individual entity is of secondary importance. The thing that is of greatest importance now is the life of this world. We can very well accept the fact that if the world and its people survive we too will survive, but if they do not, what difference would it make if we were able to demonstrate our health and supply and the rest of the world were not around to help us enjoy it? Today everyone who is embarked on a spiritual way of life should have a concern far greater than the demonstration of his own daily harmony, and that concern should be for the survival of the entire world. The question now is: Is there a principle of life, a spiritual principle, that will govern the world? Is there a principle which can now be relied upon to prevent the destruction of civilization and the extermination of mankind? There can be no question but that an individual can rise so high above the immediate circumstances on earth as to make himself immune to the disasters of this world, but if that is all that is concerning him, he may find the world a lonesome place to be. This is the age in which everyone who is seriously on this Path should forget his own problems and be willing to lose his life, if need be, in the search for, and the demonstration ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...rinciples and World Affairs.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:05- 160K
Find Similar Documents
Realization of Oneness: Chapter 9, The Revelation of Spiritual Identity
- 9) The Revelation of Spiritual Identity The only reason the subject of spiritual healing is emphasized in our work is that the practice of this kind of healing deepens and enriches consciousness, and through this practice, the everyday problems of life touch us in a decidedly minor degree. But healing work is not the end or the object of our being on the spiritual path. Rather is it incidental to the major goal of attaining God-realization. Anyone who has had any experience in metaphysics must have observed that the life ambition of far too many students is to become either healthy or prosperous, but, at some time or other, these students must learn that lack is not as great a problem as it has been painted, nor is illness. In fact, both disease and lack may serve as incentives to drive us out of the physical and mental limitations with which we have bound ourselves. These limitations are brought about not because the mind and the body are evil or sick, but only because both mind and body have been conditioned by the belief in two powers. A mistake often made by students in their practice of spiritual healing, and one which has been pointed out in previous chapters, is to treat effects-headaches, storms, cancers, polio-denying them or in some way trying to handle them. Never make that mistake. Never under any circumstance treat heart disease, tuberculosis, or any disease of which you have ever heard, or any accident. These are only effects. If you could remove every one of them, the cause would still be there, and the cause is a belief in two powers, a belief in the carnal mind. If, at this moment, you could be made whole, nothing would stop you from becoming sick or poor again tomorrow, unless you, yourself, had come to the realization that the healing that had taken place was not one of lack or limitation, of fear, of sin or false appetites, of polio, cancer, blindness, or deafness: the healing was in being freed from the belief in two powers-good and evil. Once ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ation of Spiritual Identity.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:05- 154K
Find Similar Documents
Rising in Consciousness: Chapter 18, God the Omnipresent Reality
- ~ 18 ~ GOD, THE OMNIPRESENT REALITY TONIGHT LET US TALK ON FREEDOM IN CHRIST-that is, freedom of health in Christ and freedom of purse in Christ. These are so different from freedom in the body or freedom in the pocketbook. To be free in health in Christ is far different from being free in health in the body and yet health in Christ manifests itself as physical freedom. Freedom in Christ is where we are not tightened up in the body or feel that our health is in the body or our wealth or our happiness or any part of our so- called human experience. It is where the freedom is a Christly one. Now, we can just completely relax and realize ourselves as a state of receptivity to the Christ. We are a state of receptivity to the Christ. Nothing can intrude and it will start in. I will speak audibly for a while and then go into the silence, and you will be meditating while I speak for just a few minutes. We are receptive to the Christ. Christ is imparting itself eternally as our very consciousness. Consciousness is the embodiment of all that is, and all that is good, since God made all that was made and we are the embodiment of that good. We are in the state of receptivity as that infinite being is expressing itself. We, as individual consciousness, are responsive only to the Christ. Nothing can enter this consciousness to defile or make it a lie. There is only one consciousness and that is God, and that is our individual consciousness. As we meditate on this truth of receptivity to the Christ, we will find that Christ pours itself forth as our individual consciousness. "Glorify thou me . . ." 1 I would never think of getting on a platform or going into a class without hours, literally hours, of this meditation, in which I realize myself as a state of receptivity to the Christ, to God, spirit, since no matter where I would stand, whether talking, lecturing, or teaching, no one could possibly have any interest in anything that I humanly could say. It isn't possible that ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...God the Omnipresent Reality.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:09- 123K
Find Similar Documents
Rising in Consciousness: Chapter 2, Unfolding Consciousness
- ~ 2 ~ UNFOLDING CONSCIOUSNESS THIS IS A CONTINUATION OF OUR CLASS YESTERDAY, a continuity of unfolding consciousness. We are taking up where we left off, and, as a matter of fact, carrying right on as we will for the rest of the week. When John was in prison he sent word to Jesus: "Art thou he that should come? 1 Is this the promised Messiah?" And Jesus did not tell him that he had been authorized or ordained, or had received a license to be a rabbi. He said, "Go and show John the things you have seen, that the sick are healed." 2 Our only authority for the work we are doing is its result, and that result must be healing, the healing of the problems of human existence! The work of healing through the spirit is never the healing of a body; never the healing of a physical condition. That is the result, but it is not the work. The work is the spiritualizing of consciousness. The work is spiritualizing consciousness, spiritualizing thought, opening consciousness to the receptivity of God. That is the work in healing. In the presence of God there are no problems, and so when you are standing, actually standing, in the conscious awareness of the presence of God, you have no sins or diseases to overcome. Of all of Jesus' statements, the greatest is, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God . . . and all these other things shall be added unto you." 3 Now the kingdom of God, the realm of God, is consciousness. The spiritual atmosphere of God is the kingdom and when you are in the spiritual atmosphere of God, all the harmonies of this world, of heaven and of earth, are added unto you. The subject of healing work is a very interesting one and there are many approaches to this practice, but I can only speak of that which has revealed itself to me. Healing work is accomplished entirely through silence! The treatments, so called, of oral explanation or the written word, are merely little ladders which we use to climb up to the point of silence. Sometimes they are necessary, most often ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... 2, Unfolding Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:06- 117K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 1, The Principle of Christian Science
- ~ 1 ~ THE PRINCIPLE OF CHRISTIAN SCIENCE The time has come for inventory. Let us take stock of our understanding of Christian Science and see how far out of orthodoxy we have come. Formerly we believed in good and evil. To God was ascribed all the power of good, and to the devil, or Satan, was given all the power of evil. Now, through the study of Christian Science, we learn that there is no devil or Satan-but do we thereby recognize that there is no evil? It is on this point that we need to see what we are understanding as fact, or truth. It is true that we concede no power of evil to our old devil, but do we not concede this same power of evil to mortal mind, animal magnetism, hypnotism, aggressive mental suggestion, x.y.z.ism? Have we not merely changed the name of Satan and kept alive the evil propensities and powers under another name? In Unity of Good 9:27 Mrs. Eddy asks: "What is the central point of difference in my metaphysical system? This: that by knowing the unreality of disease, sin and death, you demonstrate the allness of God. This difference wholly separates my system from all others. The reality of these so-called existences I deny because they are not to be found in God, and this system is built on Him as the sole cause." Now sit down and seriously ask yourself whether or not you have accepted this teaching of Christian Science; whether or not you are still ascribing some erroneous condition to a cause other than God. Are you transferring the evil powers of Satan to a new one called mortal mind or animal magnetism, or have you definitely seen and understood that these are merely beliefs without power, reality, law, cause or effect? Are you still battling error, rising above evil, handling isms as if such beliefs were actual powers or causes of erroneous conditions? Or have you caught a glimpse of the beauty of the truth of Christian Science in the revelation that God, good, alone is cause and creator and, further, that "there are no effects from ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...nciple of Christian Science.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:40- 112K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: April 1955, Immortality
- ... So let it be agreed in your consciousness that God is Life, but more than that, God is your life! "Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him." (Isa. 43:7.) "For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord God; wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye." (Ezek. 18:32.) "Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created." (Rev. 4:11.) These scriptural passages clearly indicate that God created us for his own pleasure, and this is an eternal relationship. And so, as we witness ourselves and our friends advancing into more mature years, let us realize our function as an infant and as a child, as an adult, and see how progressive each step has been, and then look forward to the revelation of what the future years have in store through the Grace of God. Then, as we watch our friends pass from sight, let us rejoice that they have passed from one mansion into another. They have not died because of sin, because God never punishes sin. God is a God of love and forgiveness "until seventy times seven." Our transition is for the glory of God, and for the glory of the development of our individual Soul, and those of us who are approaching the middle years and beyond the middle years must learn to ask the Father, "What have you now for me to do?" Then, as other experiences come, open your vision and realize that just as the flowers bloom and seem to fade and then bloom again, so do we pass through many transitional experiences, but death is never known in any of these experiences. Death is our interpretation of what we are witnessing, but it is an observation based on ignorance. Those who have caught the first tiny glimpse of God understand that God is Life, and that God is Life Eternal-life without death, "for he is thy life, and the length of thy days." This can only come as you lift your ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...sm_ April 1955, Immortality.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:56- 126K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: August 1958, The Father-Consciousness
- CHAPTER EIGHT: AUGUST The Father-Consciousness ALL the inharmony of human existence arises because of a lack of understanding of our true identity. This has brought about a sense of separation between us and God, which in turn has separated us from our good. This is similar to the situation in which a person might find himself were he the possessor of a substantial bank account, the existence of which he has forgotten, and because of his failure to remember, he thereby suffers from lack. The remembrance of that bank account would eliminate the lack and immediately restore harmony to his financial affairs. In like manner, a child who, for one reason or another, becomes separated from his parents and is on his own, alone, feels the necessity of shifting for himself and, therefore, puts forth varying degrees of effort to find a place for himself in the world, whereas the rediscovery of his parents and the return to his home would again establish him in his harmony and sense of security. Such is the story of the prodigal son. The son had everything-a rich father, a good home, and a well-established position in life. Then came the desire to be something of himself, to achieve something of and on his own. Very quickly he used up his substance: The supply that had been stored up for him was depleted because it was not now being renewed. The son no longer had contact with his source-his father's house. At the end of the road, he came to the realization that even his father's servants were far more fortunate than was he, and slowly he began the return to the father's house. But while he was yet a long way off, his father came out to greet him, to re-establish him in his home, in his sonship, in his heirhood, and all was well again. Humanhood Is a State of Separation from the Father Such is the story of all human beings. We are all prodigals. What is the fall of man but a sense of separation from God? It is the descent from divine Consciousness to the belief and acceptance of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...8, The Father-Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:58- 128K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: July 1956, Transition From Law to Grace
- CHAPTER SEVEN: JULY Transition from Law to Grace Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. . . . Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear. Hebrews II: I, 3 EVEN as Abraham, the father of the Hebrew race, journeyed long distances in time and space, not knowing whereto or why, so must we travel long distances in consciousness to arrive at a destined place where is found heaven-spiritual harmony, spiritual freedom, spiritual grace. We, as Infinite Way students, are pilgrims on that journey. All of us are seeking a life by grace, and in order to make any progress on this spiritual journey, we must understand the importance of faith in the unknown. As human beings, from the moment of conception until the moment of death, we are under the law of Moses, which is a karmic law. We are Under the laws of nature, of weather, climate, food, race, religion, creed, dogma. We are under the law of revenge-an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. These Mosaic and karmic laws are made up of both good and evil. We do not choose to come under the law -we are under the law simply by virtue of being born, and we remain under the law until we, individually, remove ourselves from it. There are no ministers, priests, or rabbis who can set aside the law of the Ten Commandments, the karmic law, or the laws of human nature. It is something each one must do for himself by an act of consciousness. It is something you must do as specifically as you must resist the various temptations that crowd your particular individual life-by an act of conscious will. If you are tempted to envy that which others possess, it is you who, by an act of consciousness, must determine to be satisfied with that which is received from God and to covet nothing that belongs to another. If the temptations were to come to steal, to lie, to commit adultery, you would have to reject ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ransition From Law to Grace.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:02- 147K
Find Similar Documents