The Heart of Mysticism: September 1957, The Prayer of Mysticism
- CHAPTER NINE: SEPTEMBER The Prayer of Mysticism LIKE many words, the term "prayer" has no absolute meaning, in and of itself. Prayer means one thing to the child who says, "Now I lay me down to sleep"; it means another thing to the person who unthinkingly recites the Lord's Prayer in a monotonous drone, "Our Father who art in heaven hallowed be thy name"; and it means something entirely different to the person who reverently prays, "Our Father-which art in heaven-Hallowed-be thy name." 1 That is as different a sense of prayer as is the Twenty-third Psalm, "The Lord is my shepherd," 2 a prayer which is an acknowledgment of that which God is, that which God does, and that which God means in individual life. Still another prayer is the prayer of gratitude, the "thank you, Father," which is a recognition that all good is in, of, from, and through the Father. Let no one have a static sense of prayer. Let no one in The Infinite Way ever say, "This is prayer, but that is not prayer." That which we may feel is a very deep prayer today may seem very far from prayer a year from now. On the other hand, a year from now we might know something entirely different about prayer from what we know today. There is no such thing as a right form of prayer or a Wrong form. Every prayer that has ever been voiced is right from the standpoint of the consciousness voicing it at the time. The form of prayer used by a person one day may be entirely different from the form used by the same person on another day. This does not mean that all prayer is effective, but if our prayer is sincere, it represents our sense of right at any given moment-the best we know at that moment. The highest form of prayer that has been revealed in the religious literature of the world is that in which there are no words and no thoughts, a form of prayer which is entirely a listening attitude, a listening as if to receive the word of God, which is quick and sharp and powerful. God is; perfection, omnipresence, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...57, The Prayer of Mysticism.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:12- 148K
Find Similar Documents
The Joel Goldsmith Reader: Building the New Consciousness
- Building the New Consciousness Many aspirants on the spiritual path experience inner unfoldment or revelation when they begin to gain some understanding of what meditation is. Meditation is our method of building a consciousness of truth, a new consciousness. Meditation is our mode of prayer. First, however, it must be understood that prayer is not what we say to God, but rather what God says to us. Because of the noise of the world, we do not hear the still small voice or receive the benefit of the Presence, and therefore, we must learn to be silent and receptive. Learning to Meditate 1 The purpose of meditation is to gain a conscious awareness of the presence of God-such a conscious awareness of our oneness with God that we may come into an actual realization of the truth of being. Although successful meditation requires silence and receptivity, never try to still the human mind; never try to stop thinking or attempt to blank out your thoughts. It cannot be done. When you begin to meditate and thoughts of an unruly nature come, let them come; do not be disturbed by them. They are world-thoughts, not yours. Take the attitude of sitting back and watching them. See them impersonally. Soon they will no longer disturb you, and you will be able to sit down and be at peace. There are many schools of thought as to the proper method of approaching meditation, and for the beginner there probably should be some procedure or method outlined. If it is remembered that in meditation our whole attention is to be focused upon God and the things of God, it will readily be seen that in sitting down to meditate, it is wise for the body to be in a comfortable position so that the attention is not unconsciously drawn to the body. Always remember, though, that the posture assumed is not important, nor the method used. Any procedure adopted is only for the purpose of making it easier to hold the attention on God and to become consciously receptive to the infinite power of your own ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...lding the New Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:17- 114K
Find Similar Documents
The Journey Back to the Father's House: Chapter 7, Living Out From Conscious Oneness
- Chapter Seven Living Out From Conscious Oneness There comes a time in life when, regardless of what we learn, what we are reading or studying, we have to live our conviction; we have to live the life that is now unfolding to us. There is a period in our experience when we may think of ourselves purely as students or initiates. During this period we are learning. We are taking in new principles, discarding old religious beliefs, superstitions, theories, and doctrines. We are learning not to be dependent on anything that exists in the external realm. We use everything as it comes along for good, but we do not depend on it. We are learning that there is only one power and that only a universal belief in two powers limits us. We are learning the nature of God. We are learning the nature of prayer. For the longest while, we are learning and learning, and learning and unlearning, learning to let go. But then there comes a period when we must wonder what to do with all this learning. How do we go further than just continuing to learn? When we begin to live what we have learned, that, of course, is the beginning of our real experience and the purpose of all the learning. One Life Flowing as Individual Life The first great lesson on the spiritual path is that although we appear outwardly to be separate persons with separate interests, and humanly we live our life in that way, on the spiritual path we learn that this is not true. There is in the midst of us an invisible tree, the tree of life. This tree has invisible tentacles, vines reaching out, attached to each one of us, or rather, we are attached to this invisible vine that is attached to the tree. The life of the tree, which is God, flows out through the vine and becomes the life of us. What does this do to us? It breaks down the belief that we are isolated individuals with a life of our own, because immediately we see that the life of the tree flowing through us is our real life. In that way we lose concern about our ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Out From Conscious Oneness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:24- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Conscious Union with God: Chapter 1, The Basis of Spiritual Healing
- ~ 1 ~ THE BASIS OF SPIRITUAL HEALING Spiritual healing is brought about through the realization of the Christ in individual consciousness. God, the individual Consciousness of this universe, is the one and only consciousness. However, since God is the consciousness of me and God is the consciousness of you, and because there is only this one consciousness, truth becomes effective in the consciousness of anyone who tunes in to it. Therefore, any truth that reveals itself within our consciousness instantaneously reveals itself to the person appearing as our patient. Sometimes, people who are not associated with us in any way, either as friends, relatives, students, or patients-someone in a hospital or a prison, someone on a desert island, someone who is reaching out for help to his highest concept of God-may be healed even though they do not know us and we do not know them; or even if they do know us, they may not know that we are on this path, and, therefore, would not know why they were healed. There is only one Life, one Consciousness, one Soul; but that One is the consciousness of you and the consciousness of me. That is why we do not have to try to reach anyone. When we are in this conscious oneness, we become so much a part of one another that what one is thinking about Truth, or God, the other is hearing, but no transference of thought is involved and should not be so construed. We are not one in our humanhood: We are one in the Christ, and all that is being imparted is the divine idea flowing in consciousness. For that reason, those who are aware of the principle of one power need never be concerned about suffering from other people's thoughts. All the suffering on earth, regardless of its form or nature, is a product of the universal belief in two powers; and therefore, universal harmony will only be restored when God is revealed as Omnipotence. There is only one mind and that mind is the instrument of the one Spirit, or God. Human thinking, which is the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Basis of Spiritual Healing.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:16- 132K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: April 12, 1964, I and My Father Are One
- I AND MY FATHER ARE ONE April 12, 1964 Between Two Worlds Honolulu, Hawaii OUR SUNDAY MORNING tapes are still on the subject of "Between Two Worlds," the world of material sense and the world of spiritual consciousness. You are reminded that there are two worlds, although one of these disappears in proportion as you attain the consciousness of the other one. As you die daily to "man whose breath is in his nostrils," you are being reborn into the Son of God. But here you must remember, and I say you must often remember and consciously remember that there are not actually two worlds. There is only one, the world of consciousness or spirit, but there is a false sense of that world which you entertain and that false sense constitutes the other world-the world of material sense. I spoke this morning of Dr. Loren Eiseley's article entitled "The Uncomplete Man," published in Harper's Magazine, March, 1964, in which he tells of a revelation he experienced on the nature of the body which corresponds to what we have been teaching for more than thirty years. In this article, Dr. Eiseley says that all evil is based upon the belief that we are man. In other words, we are not man, and even Scripture says: "Know ye not that you are Gods 1 . . . . even your body is the temple of God." 2 We are really spiritual, offspring of spirit, and that which constitutes our material sense of world is this belief that we are man. You will remember our exercise in which you stand slightly in back of yourself with the word I, and look down at the feet and realize: "These feet are not me, they are mine." You then go up to the knees, the hips, the waist, the chest, the shoulders, the neck, the head, up to the topmost hair of the head, always declaring: "This is not me, this is mine." Then, as you go up and down that body mentally, at the end of the exercise you realize: "I am not in this body, but there is an I separate and apart from body which is the owner of this body-and therefore the body in ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...64, I and My Father Are One.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:06- 102K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: February 10, 1963, Beside God There Is No Other
- BESIDE GOD THERE IS NO OTHER February 10, 1963 The Halekulani Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii ARE THERE ANY QUESTIONS from the tape that you heard this morning? Are there any points that need clarifying? I know it was a very important tape. (1960 Denver Closed Class: Advanced Spiritual Healing Class: Protective Work.) Question: I am interested in what you said about the Christian attitude towards business. You said that John Wanamaker of Philadelphia started pricing at a set price and that this was a Christian way of doing business. Can you explain? Answer: There isn't anyone in the world who is not affected by business. When we speak of the right way of doing business, we speak of business on the basis of the Golden Rule, on the Christian-conducted basis. Before Wanamaker, no store ever had a set price. Everything was bargaining ability, so at first he nearly went bankrupt. People saw the price tags and then started to bargain. At first, when they were told there was to be no bargaining, they walked out. The closer you get to a spiritual way of conducting business, the more just and equitable a type of business would be conducted. In this present era, business is about as un-Christian as it could be; we have reverted to cutthroat business. Once you start humanly manipulating prices, you will find a hundred ways of manipulating them. V ery few people are paying a fair price for the merchandise they buy; they are either paying too much or too little. The same thing is true in the stock market where some stocks are too high or too low. It all comes to this: that individually we may attempt to live our lives in accord with a principle but not be permitted to while we are in an era like this where prices are determined by outside factors. If it is the law, then we have to conform to it. That is unfortunate for those who would like to live by principles. However, it would not prevent an individual's spiritual development. Everything takes place in consciousness, not what you do ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...eside God There Is No Other.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:11- 109K
Find Similar Documents
God Formed Us For His Glory: Chapter 3, The Nature of the Messiah
- Chapter Three The Nature of the Messiah The unfoldment of the activity of the Infinite Way is a testimony to the validity of the principles it sets forth. To begin with, here was a man in California who wrote a book presumed to be just a little pocket companion for himself and a few friends. He decided that a thousand copies would be more than enough for all persons, but the publisher pointed out that two thousand copies would cost very little more than one thousand, so two thousand were run off. I thought, of course, that we would have to have a great deal of storage space to take care of the second thousand. Never did the idea occur to me that this message would travel around the world or that it would be of interest to anybody except the small group of patients and students who were around me. Furthermore, at that time there was no money for any kind of promotional activity; there were no "angels" to provide financial help; there was no organization, which there still is not; and there was no thought of my going any further than Los Angeles, California, with the message. No one was more surprised than I when someone invited me to give lectures in San Francisco, four hundred miles away. I thought, "What! Way up there they want to hear about this! That is strange, but it is beautiful because I would enjoy spending a week in San Francisco." I thought that that, too, would surely be the end of this activity. And what has happened to the Infinite Way since those early days? It was first carried across the United States and Canada. Then a letter came from an important publisher in London, asking if he could publish a British edition of The Infinite Way. Could he? Why, that is a dream! Many American writers had been unable to have their books published in England after the war because of the scarcity of paper. Yet here was a firm asking, "May we?" That was not the end of it. Another firm in England asked to publish my books, followed by a request from Holland, and then ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..., The Nature of the Messiah.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:31- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Rising in Consciousness: Chapter 1, Creative Meditation
- ... Now remember that everyone in the human world is faced with the belief of a physical body. They are faced with the belief of physical supply. And right now, they are being faced with the belief of atomic bombs and rumors of wars. In the human picture there is no way of avoiding those experiences or of rising above them. The only way is the spiritual way, and the spiritual way is that way where the Christ becomes the reality of our being! And when we begin to look out from the standpoint of God, the sum total of all creation, then we are fulfilling the greatest law ever revealed by Jesus Christ-the law of forgiveness. There is no greater law than that of forgiveness. Remember, love God with all thy might and love your neighbor as yourself. That neighbor is every human being on earth, every animal, every plant! And there is no way you can love them while holding them in condemnation. In this meditation, then, see and understand that God is the life, soul, mind, not only of friends, but of all so-called enemies. And, in that way, you will eliminate all enemies. Jesus said to Pilate, "Thou canst have no power over me, unless it came from the Father in heaven." 8 That is our answer to enemies or enmity of every form whether appearing as man, sin, disease, or lack. Some of you who heard me in January will remember how many times I stressed this fact: that this law of forgiving, this law of forgiveness, is the real law of demonstration. This ability to see God as the mind, the life and soul of enemies as well as of friends. Why? Because not only in the Old Testament, but all the way through the teachings of Jesus, we have this reminder-the first commandment is the secret of life. Only one God, only one life; the life of every one of us; the life of our so-called enemies. God is the only mind, and therefore God must be the mind of what we call enemies! Only one God, and only one creation-and all spiritual! In that meditation, can you not see that as long as your ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter 1, Creative Meditation.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:05- 108K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Power of Truth: Chapter 15, A Great Secret
- ... Since God Is from everlasting to everlasting, the nature of God must be eternity, infinity. There could be nothing in the nature of God that would shorten the life of man or the universe; therefore the life of man must be eternal and immortal. So right here you have no punishment -because all of our sins and diseases and deaths are supposed to be due to punishment. All our accidents, all the evils that befall us, are supposed to be due to punishment of one nature or another. "God's will" it is called-"God's will" that an airplane collapses with a hundred people on board, "God's will" that a steamship burns at sea or hits an iceberg. Do you not see that this was not in the original teaching of Jesus Christ? Do you not see that if you go back to the Gospels, you cannot find that God destroys life for any reason, since Jesus' mission was to raise the dead, to do the works of God, to show forth eternal life? His mission was to heal the sick and even to forgive the sinners. So God could not have provided both a punishment for sinners and forgiveness at the same time. Therefore if you go back to the basic teaching of Jesus Christ, you will discover that there is no punishment through God, no reward through God, and that it is "As you sow, so shall you reap." Of course, when you turn to the Oriental teachings where they have karma, you will also discover that it is your sowing that results in your reaping, and your reaping goes on until the sowing changes. If you can catch solidly and firmly this revelation in The Thunder of Silence and actually bear witness to the fact or come to a conviction within yourself, and can leave God right out of your calculations, out of your thinking, as far as your rewards and punishments are concerned, or your health or sickness, or your life and death-see if you cannot grasp this principle that "As ye sow, so shall ye reap." Then make the acknowledgment, "Regardless of where I am in life, regardless of what experience I may now be having: ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Chapter 15, A Great Secret.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:23- 97K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 4, Reality
- ~ 4 ~ REALITY Christian Science understands all evil to be illusion and, necessarily, it declares human good equally without reality. It reveals that physical health is as much a belief as sickness. Likewise, material wealth is but the opposite belief of poverty. In order, then, that we do not vacillate between the beliefs of health and sickness, wealth and poverty, friendship and friendlessness, it becomes necessary that we come into the understanding of spiritual reality. Obviously we cannot measure our progress spiritward in terms of days or years of physical freedom or amount of dollars income. The measure of our progress is determined by the degree of our understanding of spiritual values. The natural result of our spiritual progress is a greater degree of harmony in what appears as our human affairs, but when this harmony is the result of spiritual realization we find no fluctuation and no vacillation. This spiritual, or real state of being, is exemplified in the Scriptures in such passages as, "And there shall be no night there," 1 and the revelation of light appearing although the sun was not yet created: "Let there be light: and there was light." 2 Again in the appearance of crops before the seed is planted. In these passages we find good appearing without dependence on material aid or accompaniment. Job says, "and hangeth the earth upon nothing," 3 again indicating spiritual power dependent on nothing tangible to human sense. Jesus fed the multitudes with a few loaves and fishes, and this so-called miracle has never been explained, nor will it ever be to human sense. That spiritual sense comprehends and can duplicate it we know, because of the frequency with which this is done by the spiritually illumined of all ages. Moses fed the multitudes and provided water; Elijah provided food and healed even death, as did the Master Christian. Every real spiritual healing that takes place today is further proof, if proof were needed, that there is a realm of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...y Years_ Chapter 4, Reality.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:40- 87K
Find Similar Documents