Consciousness Transformed: February 2, 1964, Realizing the Non-power of Appearances
- REALIZING THE NON-POWER OF APPEARANCES February 2, 1964 HUMAN EXISTENCE IS GOVERNED principally by emotions, and if you analyze your relationships with your family, your business associates, your friends, and your enemies, you will notice that very little reason enters into the relationships. It is mostly emotion, which is why most people lose money in speculation, because emotion controls them more than reason. When emotion controls you, you have no opportunity of benefitting by principles of life. When you are facing a situation and withdraw emotion long enough to realize the impersonal nature of the appearance, you immediately begin to dispel it. The natural tendency is to personalize and that is why it has been said, and rightly so, that it is unwise to discuss either religion or politics. The reason, of course, is that emotion enters in and makes it virtually impossible to talk about these subjects objectively. You would very quickly see what I mean if you could be in England during a pre-election campaign and witness how little emotion enters into the speeches by political candidates. The arguments are always aimed at the candidate's proposition, not at an individual. This is approaching politics with a minimum of emotion and a great deal of objectivity. In the same way we think of disease, sin, lack, and limitation as having to do with a person or persons, and so we center our arguments mentally against a certain person or a certain political party or that church group or that race, and this has been the error that binds men in slavery. There is no possibility of freedom from the human emotions and human passions except by the realization of the impersonal and invisible nature of error which may be operating in and through a person or a group. You do not cure a tree of its illness by cutting off its branches. You lay the axe at the root. Likewise, if you want to cut off the operation of evil in your individual or collective experience, you also have to lay ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...he Non-power of Appearances.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:10- 99K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: July 28, 1963, Above Karmic Law: Principles to Live by
- ABOVE KARMIC LAW: PRINCIPLES TO LIVE BY July 28, 1963 Princess Kaiulani Hotel GOOD AFTERNOON. When I had been in the healing practice for about five years, I was taken very ill and the practitioner who was taking care of me reached the conclusion that I was not being reached and would probably pass on that night. To me it was particularly strong that it would be that night. In the middle of the night my mother and a favorite aunt, both of whom had passed on some years before, came to my bedside and told me they had come to "make my way across an easy one." They said it was a joyous experience and I was not to fear it, but being something new for me they were there to help. Suddenly I said, "No, Mom, I am not going. I have done nothing in this world to justify even the birth pangs that you had to bring me here, and I cannot go that way. . . . I cannot go without fulfilling myself. I have healed a few hundred people of their ills, but even though it were ten thousand people or three million people, that is no accomplishment. No, I must stay here and find a reason and a purpose for living." The following morning I wakened so much better that I was able to go to my office. Then I discovered why I was not pleased for having healed a few hundred people, and why I would not have been satisfied had I healed ten thousand people. No, because I have never been interested in that phase of life. All my life my interest has been in principles, the principles whereby men can live more joyously. Not only the people who find my religion, but all men: the whites and the blacks and the yellows and the browns, the rich and the poor, the literate and the illiterate. I realized the only thing that can benefit people in the long run are principles to live by and from that time on, more than ever before I was consciously awake to the seeking of principles. So it was, in late 1938 or 1939, the V oice told me that I must seek the secret of the impersonal Christ and impersonal healing. In ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Law_ Principles to Live by.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:15- 105K
Find Similar Documents
Living the Infinite Way: Chapter - Introduction, Introduction
- O INTRODUCTION ne of the greatest spiritual teachers who ever walked this earth has told us that man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. Throughout every age there have been men and women of discernment who have discovered that this is true. Some have left a testament of their discovery in the scriptures of the world-a record of courage, strength, and inspiration, a revelation of unfolding consciousness. The experience of these illumined men and women is a constant reminder that we do not live merely by work, food, and rest, but that there is another factor that enters life which is far more important than any of these human activities. This factor is the "word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." The Word becomes the living waters. It is our protection, our safety, our security. As we go about our tasks and duties, even though we may go through deep waters and be tried in the fire of experience, the waters will not overflow us and the flames will not kindle upon us, if the Word of God is in us and with us. It is our meat, our water, and our Bread of Life, our staff on which to lean. But the Word must be more than a quotation from a book. It must come alive within us; it must be a vital, living force. Its essence or substance must become part of our own consciousness, no longer words, but the Word. Then it lives and functions for us eternally. What is there about a Bible that is holy? Is it the binding, the paper, the print, or the words? Not one of these is sacred. The only thing in the entire Bible that is power is the Word of God. And where do we find that? In a book? No, for then it would be necessary merely to buy the book to have the Word of God. Millions of people buy the Bible every year, but how many of these people have the Word of God? Most of them have some words printed in a book. The world has missed the mark by reading the Bible as a historical or literary work. As long as it remains print in a ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Introduction, Introduction.pdf
Modified: 2018-10-09 20:05:05- 81K
Find Similar Documents
Rising in Consciousness: Chapter 17, God Omnipresent and the Only Power
- ~ 17 ~ GOD, OMNIPRESENT AND THE ONLY POWER ORIGINALLY WE CAME TO THE STUDY OF TRUTH for our own good. Most of us have come to this work because of some sin or disease or lack in our experiences. Probably some of you came seeking only God. But I think the experience of most practitioners is that they find that most come to this truth seeking for release from the cares and the ills of the world. I came that way. Most of the people I know have come that way. For awhile it is a very satisfying experience to learn that physical ills can be met through prayer or treatment, through spiritual power. It is a very thrilling thing to experience a healing, especially if materia medica has said that the disease is serious or fatal. Some of these healing experiences will never be forgotten by those who have had them. After the First World War, I was given the very pleasant news that I had less than three months to live, and there was nothing that materia medica could do to save me. There was no known healing agency, no known cure for my trouble. As a matter of fact, in all the years that have passed since then, they still have no cure for that particular disease. In three months, though, I was completely healed, so completely healed that there has never been a sign or trace of the trouble in all the years since 1921! I have had many other healings of that nature through spirit, and I have also witnessed thousands of healings. Many minor claims, true, but some very major ones also, according to materia medica. I don't have to rehearse all that for most of you, because probably everyone here has had some similar experience, either with disease or with sin. I have told this before, I don't know whether in these talks or not, but certainly in classes, that in 1928, just as I was sitting with a practitioner, all of the smoking habit, drinking habit, and card playing habit disappeared. These were not great vices, but errors according to our spiritual way of living. All of these ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ipresent and the Only Power.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:09- 143K
Find Similar Documents
Showing Forth the Presence of God: Chapter 4, The True Demonstration
- Chapter Four The True Demonstration Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. . . For your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Matthew 6:25,32,33 With many truth-students, the word "demonstration" has become a part of their vocabulary. They have come to believe that they have the right to health, harmony, wholeness, completeness, perfection, and satisfaction as the fruitage of their study. Too often, however, as the student continues in this work, he finds his attention fastened too much on the outer demonstration rather than on what produces the effect, that is, on what brings the demonstration into expression or manifestation. Basis of "Miracles" of Great Spiritual Leaders The Hebrews thought that the manna falling from the sky was the demonstration. In fact, they believed it so firmly that they rushed out to gather all the manna they could, not only for what they needed for the day but to store up for tomorrow, not realizing that the manna was not their demonstration. The demonstration was their consciousness of God's presence, the consciousness of the activity of God, the consciousness of God as fulfillment. Moses' entire demonstration was based on his realization of I Am. It was Moses' realization of I Am which produced the manna falling from the sky. The demonstration really was a realization of I Am: and the result of the demonstration was the manna. Throughout scripture many miracles such as the multiplication of loaves and fishes are recounted. Did the Master multiply loaves and fishes? No, he said, "I can of mine own self do nothing. 1 . . . The Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works." 2 But what is "the Father that dwelleth in me"? He referred to that Father later as the truth which is the Comforter, the spirit of truth, 3 the conscious ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...r 4, The True Demonstration.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:12- 127K
Find Similar Documents
The Altitude Of Prayer: Chapter 2, Creating A Vacuum For The Inflow Of The Spirit
- ~ 2 ~ CREATING A VACUUM FOR THE INFLOW OF THE SPIRIT PRAYER CAN NEVER BE ANSWERED unless there is a fitting preparation for prayer and unless the terms of prayer have been fulfilled. And there are terms. One of the terms is humility. Humility is the particular quality that admits God into our experience. True, as we develop spiritually, other qualities can make us more receptive and responsive to God, but one of the first qualities we must acquire is humility. TRUE HUMILITY Humanly our lives have been lived as if we of our own selves could accomplish wonders, as if we were sufficient unto ourselves, with all the wisdom, power, and strength necessary to go out and make or break this world. Too many of us have grown up with too much confidence and faith in our own powers and wisdom, and it is in this respect that the quality of humility must be developed in us. True humility is not self-depreciation, nor is it building an escape mechanism because of a faith in some unknown God or some unknown power. True humility understands that in the beginning God incarnated Itself * as our very being. God has imparted to us Its own nature and qualities. If we are loving, it is because there is a spark of God-love in us. If we are wise, it is because there is a spark of the infinite Wisdom in us. If we are well, it is because there is a spark of the divine Being in us. To understand our dependence upon the Infinite Invisible is the sense of humility that I ask you to ponder. It is not that you are less than another; it is not the sense of humility that bows down before some other human being: it is the humility that acknowledges a divine Grace, a divine Power, a supreme Being in operation. There is nothing of an enduring nature that man needs to pray for or about. That which is always has been, is now, and forever will be. Our praying will not bring it to pass one minute sooner than its time, nor would our cursing hold it back. That which God is doing God has been doing, and God ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...or The Inflow Of The Spirit.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:25- 120K
Find Similar Documents
The Art of Spiritual Healing: Chapter III, One Power
- CHAPTER III ONE POWER To understand the nature of God is to understand the basic principle of spiritual healing. Is it the nature of God to heal disease? Do you really believe that? If God is all-powerful and all-loving, why did He not heal it yesterday? Why is He waiting for today? And why is He not doing it today? Most of the people in the world believe that God works through doctors to heal them, but according to statistics, God was not doing too satisfactory a job of that before this century, was He? One hundred years ago, people were dying daily of diseases which today are healed in twenty-four hours. Why? Did God want them to die, but not us? Is God a respecter of persons? God never has had pleasure in our dying; God never will have pleasure in our dying; and, furthermore, God has never been responsible for our dying. People died because medical science had not advanced to the stage where their doctors knew enough to keep them alive, and some, in this last century, because their metaphysical and spiritual practitioners did not know enough to keep them alive. When you think of such things, the question inevitably arises, "Does God have anything to do with a person's being diseased? What does God have to do with healing him? There must be another principle involved in healing. And what is it?" That principle is revealed through an understanding of the nature of God and the nature of that with which you are dealing. When you understand God to be infinite love, infinite wisdom, and infinite good, you will know that God is "of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity." Disease is man- created, and only through man's developed spiritual consciousness will it be eradicated. If you can grasp the significance and truth of that statement, you will realize, "Then the development of this spiritual consciousness is my responsibility," and you will be correct. Through prayer and contemplation, let the nature of God be revealed. Discover for yourself ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ing_ Chapter III, One Power.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:31- 105K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 20, Problems
- ~ 20 ~ PROBLEMS In the working out of a problem, it would seem to me that the first step would be to forget yourself and the problem as it appears and study more about the universal nature of good. As you begin to look away from self and personal problems and dwell more in thought on the universality of 2×2 being 4, or do, re, mi following each other, and of the law of "like begetting like," you will see how impossible it would be for you to be anywhere outside of divine law, divine protection, and divine action. When we plant a rose seed we know, of course, that only a rose can come forth. We do not go into any ecstasies of delight about the wonders of the rose seed because we know that it is not the rose seed itself that produced the rose, but the law of "like begetting like" acting upon the seed. Planting the seed in fertile soil, giving it sufficient water and sun, the rose is inevitable, and even the seed itself could not prevent the fulfillment. Also, when we place 2 and 2 together, 4 is inevitable, and this is not by any virtue of the objects or numbers that are brought together, but because of the operation of the law of mathematics. These illustrations apply to us in like manner. Divine law governs its creations. The only God there is, is principle, the principle of our being, and it would be impossible for our affairs to get outside the operation of this law. Then all the error, inharmony, discord, that is apparent to us is, as a matter of fact, not present at all, but exists only as belief and must be so understood. A belief operates as a law only until its true nature is discerned, just as the belief that 3 × 3 is 8 vanishes without any further effort on our part. We do not have to destroy it or rise above it, because it vanishes of its own nothingness, its non-existence. Let us know that "whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever;" 1 that there is not a single element of error, discord, inharmony or fear in either God or his son, in mind or its idea, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Years_ Chapter 20, Problems.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:46- 100K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: August 1957, Your Names are Written in Heaven
- ... Now I can say to you that the prophecy, if such it was, has come true: This is the year of fulfilment for the message of The Infinite Way. Jesus gave the world this Messianic message: There is a transcendental Presence and Power within the consciousness of every individual on earth, and this spiritual Presence and Power he called "the Father within"-your Father and my Father. He taught and proved that this spiritual Presence and Power heals the sick, unstops the ears of the deaf, opens the eyes of the blind, feeds the hungry, raises the dead, and gives spiritual illumination, so that the enlightened live not only by bread, but by an inner meat, an inner wine, an inner water, an inner bread of life which Jesus revealed as the grace of God. In other words, the grace of God, the activity of God's presence and power in us, is our daily bread, our supply, our activity, our wisdom, and our immortality. Throughout his three-year ministry, he proved every single point of this teaching by healing the sick, bringing forgiveness to the sinner, demonstrating supply, and revealing immortality. The disciples and apostles, and later their students, were able to prove the omnipresence of the Spirit of God in man and Its redemptive power; they broke the mesmeric Adam-dream and revealed that "henceforth know we no man after the flesh." In other words, no longer shall we believe in a good human being or a bad human being, but in the understanding of this spiritual Presence, we shall know all men as the Sons of God or offspring of God, the spiritual heirs of God- the Christ. This teaching was lost when men began to observe ceremonies and rites, arguing and disagreeing about the form of worship and eventually dividing into numerous sects, each with its own form of worship, ceremony, and creed. Attention was focused on the form rather than on the Spirit, and the essence was lost. In this past century, it was again revealed to the world that there is a Power always present and available ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Names are Written in Heaven.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:57- 145K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: December 1958, The One Great Miracle
- CHAPTER TWELVE: DECEMBER The One Great Miracle SPOKEN or written words can never adequately convey the idea of the Christ. There is no way to understand the Christ except through the spiritual capacity of discernment-the Soul-capacities. Words are always inadequate. In Hebrew Scripture, the term for the Christ is the Messiah. The Hebrews have always looked forward to the coming of a Messiah, but no one knows whether, in the beginning, they were expecting a man or whether they understood the term Messiah to mean a power or a presence. But whatever their concept of the Messiah, they knew Its function and what might be expected of It: The Messiah was to bring them freedom. That may be interpreted as political freedom since they were political slaves, or as economic freedom since they were in bondage to poverty, or as physical or moral freedom since there is no doubt but that they were slaves to sensuality and to the characteristics that were bred in the conditions in which they found themselves. It may be that they thought of the Messiah as freeing them from outside influences, or they may have understood the word more correctly than we imagine: They may have understood the Messiah to be that which freed them from themselves-from their slavery to sense, their slavery to false ideas, their slavery to ignorance. To me, the Messiah is that which frees us from ourselves, from a limited sense of self. We are never enslaved by anybody or any condition, except by that which we have either made or accepted for ourselves. We make our own conditions of slavery or we passively accept conditions without a realization that there is that within us which could set us free. The Hebrews, however, did come to a place where their expectancy was a man. Isaiah speaks of that man as the Prince of Peace, the mighty Counsellor, one whose name shall be called Wonderful. To a man of such enlightenment as Isaiah, it may be that although using the term, "man" or "he", he really was referring to a ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...1958, The One Great Miracle.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:59- 128K
Find Similar Documents