The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 9, Metaphysics and Mysticism - The Infinite Way Path
- ~ 9 ~ METAPHYSICS AND MYSTICISM: THE INFINITE WAY PATH Many of you who have been in class work with me know that at no time in my life did I dream of there being such a work as the message of the Infinite Way or that I would ever be connected in any way with a spiritual teaching. My work was in the business world, and while I was never interested in any organized religion, I did have that longing to know what made the wheels of truth go 'round, especially after I began traveling in Europe in 1909. There, for the first time, I was awakened to man's inhumanity to man: I was awakened to the fights, the discords, the inharmonies that take place, and to the dens of iniquity that existed. I didn't know they existed in the United States too, but I learned later we also had our own San Francisco and New Orleans, and these things puzzled me because there were so many religions that claimed there is a God. So it was, I turned my attention to learning more about God. My only purpose was to find out for myself what lies behind this world, so I asked why this thing called God, or man called God, or whatever this being is, wasn't doing something about the sins of the world, the wars, the discords, the causes of strife. I was only a youngster in New York when the first ladies' ready-to-wear strike took place where men and women were killed, beaten up, and injured in the name of business. I remember when the steel workers in Pennsylvania were striking for a dollar-and-a-half a day and the militia was called out to shoot them down. I wondered about these things. I was in London in 1909 when the German and English fleets were lined up against each other in the North Sea, the World War ready to start. It was man's inhumanity to man that brought me to the search for truth but with no other object or motive than to learn for myself why, if there truly were a God he would permit this inhumanity. Many years later, when my first religious experience took place, it brought with it the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ism - The Infinite Way Path.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:50- 136K
Find Similar Documents
The Government of Eden: Chapter 8, When We Spread Fear, Rumor, ...
- VIII when we spread fear, rumor, hysteria, and mass confusion O N EVERY HAND mankind is gripped by fear in the face of nerve-shattering world conditions, and those of us who have been able, even in a measure, to see the unreal nature of the evil rampant in the world have not only the responsibility of releasing people from their fears but, in releasing them from their fears, preventing the greater tragedy that their fears may bring upon them. People do not fear because they are cowards; they fear because they are gripped by universal hypnotism that makes them act in ways foreign to their nature. It is mass hysteria, having its foundation in ignorance. The evils that befall us are not in God or man but rather in the conditioning that we have received through the ignorance that has been foisted upon us from time immemorial. In other words, every time that we give power to a person, a thing, or a condition, our consciousness is showing forth its conditioning, and to that extent, we become victims of it. It might come as a surprise to see how easy it would be for some person, either for a specific purpose or an experiment, to show us how quickly we could be made to distrust one another, and then, in the end, fear one another. It has been done over and over and over again. It is a very simple thing to condition the minds of persons who are not alert so that they unthinkingly accept the opinions, thoughts, and beliefs of others and respond robot- like to individual suggestions or mass hysteria. If we listened to all the propaganda and the opinions of others, very soon we would be fighting not only with our families but with our neighbors and the whole world. The question is this: To whom do we give allegiance? To whom do we surrender our minds and our thoughts? It is very difficult for persons who have not been taught the value of meditation to turn within to the Presence for Its guidance, instruction, and wisdom. Instead, they rely on opinions gathered from newspapers, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...overnment of Eden_Chapter 8.pdf
Modified: 2021-01-25 13:32:06- 84K
Find Similar Documents
The Joel Goldsmith Reader: Rising to Mystical Consciousness in Prayer and Treatment
- Rising to Mystical Consciousness in Prayer and Treatment In the spiritual life, you must never forget that you are not living your own life and that you have no right whatsoever to consider what you would like to do, when you would like to do it, or how. Always in the back of your mind is the reminder that it is God's life that is being lived, and it is your privilege to be at that state of consciousness where you can watch God live your life without interposing a wish, a will, or a desire of your own. The average truth student is not at the stage of development where he can do this because he has duties to his family or his business, and until such time as the Spirit Itself says, "Leave all for Me," 1 or "Leave your nets," no student should ever forget his responsibility to his family, his associates, and to his work. Rather should his study and his meditations become the foundation for the more harmonious functioning of these facets of his life. It is only to the few that the call to leave their "nets" eventually comes, and when it does come, it is unmistakable, and it compels obedience. After that, the nature of one's life changes. This change does not permit the neglect or desertion of one's business or family obligations, but it does make it possible to provide for their independent care so that one may be set free for whatever demands the call may make. Let no Infinite Way student believe, however, that the call to leave his "nets" is an excuse to desert or neglect his human duties or obligations. Those who enter the spiritual ministry because of a human desire to do good, or before they have heard the spiritual call, make little or no progress. This is because they have not yet learned to rest on the Infinite Invisible. They do not have the spiritual vision that makes it possible for them to know the Unknowable. The message of The Infinite Way did not come through the human mind, nor can it be imparted by or to the human mind. To the human mind, this message ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ess in Prayer and Treatment.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:21- 151K
Find Similar Documents
The World Is New: Chapter 4, Conscious Oneness
- Therefore, the only way I can ever really know you is through spiritual consciousness. That is the real sense of communion, and that is where healing takes place-not in calling a person either a human being or a divine idea, but in reaching through the appearance to the reality. When through spiritual sense we have contacted the reality of a person, we find that God is all the reality there is to him. God, the universal Good, is his individual life, mind, and Soul. Beginning with God then, we come down to Its individualization and find it to be you and me. It is a great temptation, however, to look at people as human beings and find something in them that needs changing, altering, or improving. Oftentimes we become self-righteous when we find someone doing something we think is wrong and piously state, "I can forgive him." This is all part of the human picture and will heal nothing. But when we know that every person is the individualization of God, we can then apply the great law of forgiveness which is not sitting in judgment on a person, first finding him to be wrong and then deciding to be magnanimous and forgive him for being wrong. True forgiveness lies in closing our eyes and in going within to the spiritual sense of things, and there touching the reality of that individual and finding that all reality is God, and that there never has been a sin, a mistake, or anything to overcome. Even if we could correct the sins and faults of our friends or loved ones-and did-we still would not have accomplished much in a spiritual way. But when we blot out the picture of all humanhood, the good as well as the bad, and come close to the center of being, close to God, we find that sooner or later that friend or relative is no longer the erring individual he seems to be. In healing work, we have what appears to be a patient, a practitioner, and God. According to the popularly accepted idea, the patient goes to a practitioner, and the practitioner goes to God, and then God ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter 4, Conscious Oneness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:43- 99K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter VII, The Sacred Word
- CHAPTER VII THE SACRED WORD I AM THAT I AM: EXODUS 3:14 I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. JOHN 6:35 Before Abraham was, I am. JOHN 8:58 I am the light of the world. JOHN 9:5 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. JOHN 14:6 I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live. JOHN 11:25 I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. HEBREWS 28:20 Lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. MATTHEW 28:20 In an attempt to fathom the mystery of God, to explain what can never be explained, and to encompass what can never be encompassed, man has used words. But words can never explain God. There can never be a word that is God. Not even the word God is God, nor the words Mind, Soul, Spirit, or Truth, for all these are effects objective to the person voicing them. There are no synonyms for God in absolute truth. Those that we use are really only attributes descriptive of God. Soul is an attribute of the purity of God; Spirit describes God's incorporeality; love, mind, principle, and law are facets of God- being; but none of these is really God. When we are done with all these words, we are no closer to God than we were before: we have not found God. And so, we go on to another word, and another word, and another word. Finally, we realize that we cannot find God in a word, in any word out here. Ultimately, we come back to the one word which holds the secret of the ages-I. I is neither objective nor subjective, and that I is the I that I am, the Knower. It is the Knower and the known, that which knows and that which is known; and I am both: I am He. If all the words that we use as synonyms for God really were God, the room in which we are sitting and repeating those words would be aflame with illumination, and there would be no disease or discord in it. But all we are doing when we repeat these ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter VII, The Sacred Word.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:34:59- 122K
Find Similar Documents
Living the Illumined Life: Chapter 5, Putting Off the Old Man and Rebirth
- Chapter Five Putting Off the Old Man and Rebirth The purpose of a work such as the Infinite Way is to die to the "old man," 1 and to be reborn of the Spirit: not partially reborn, but wholly reborn, putting on a whole new consciousness, a whole new mind, that "mind. . . which was also in Christ Jesus." 2 In the practical working out of this, the realization of the fullness of this Christ- consciousness may not be attained in a moment. That is because the Christ- consciousness is not attained through the acquiring of knowledge, not even acquiring a knowledge of truth. A person could know all the truth that has ever been revealed in all the philosophies and all the mystical writings known to man and still not have one single touch of Christ-consciousness. The Vessel Must Be Emptied of Self It is not any degree of human wisdom or any degree of human goodness that we may attain that brings forth the Christ. In fact, it might be far easier for some deep- dyed sinner to attain the Christ than for some very good person. The sinner is often well aware of his unworthiness. In his attitude of being "one of the least of these," 3 and understanding his own inadequacy, he has so emptied himself that he is ready to be filled with the Christ; whereas, as a rule, if a person is living a fairly good human life, he is likely to get the idea, "Hmm! I am good; I deserve to have this blessing. I really have worked hard for it and I deserve it." It does not come that way; it comes by Grace, and that Grace can come only in proportion as a person is emptied so that there is no self left to be good. As long as a person has a trace of a belief that he is good, deserving, or worthy, in that degree he is setting up a barrier for the entrance of the Christ. The Christ does not come while a vessel is already full of self and of a human being's goodness. The Christ comes when a person is so emptied of self that he has renounced not only the evil but also the good and has thus made himself ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Off the Old Man and Rebirth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:53- 123K
Find Similar Documents
Realization of Oneness: Chapter 3, Get Thee Hence Satan
- 3) "Get Thee Hence, Satan" It took a really great mystic to discover the secret of impersonal evil and devise the name "devil" or "Satan" for it. This devil or Satan, as it was first conceived, did not mean an opponent of God; it had no such meaning at all. Instead, it meant something in the nature of a tempter-not a power or a person, but a tempter offering temptation. The evil is never in us; it is the tempter that tempts us into sin, disease, death, lack, and limitation, and this tempter should be recognized at all times as the impersonal source of evil. When the devil stood before Jesus in the wilderness tempting him to turn the stones into bread, Jesus answered, "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." 1 Again Satan tempted the Master to cast himself down from the pinnacle of the temple, and Jesus' answer was, "Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." 2 Once more Satan offered him temptation in the form of worldly glory, and to this, Jesus replied, "Get thee hence, Satan." 3 With this recognition of the devil as the impersonal source of evil, Satan left him. From then on what do we hear about Satan as far as the Master is concerned? He does not appear any more. He seems to have faded out, right there and then. With that "Get thee hence, Satan," Satan is no more. The Master is alone, alone with God, consciously one with God, the victor, with full dominion. But the tempter, the devil, is gone; the temptation is gone. TEMPTATION ALWAYS APPEARS AS A PERSON OR A CONDITION Every need for help for yourself or any call for help that comes from someone else should be recognized as a temptation, a temptation to be rejected. Even if it should be someone close to a hundred years, suffering from old age, remember that the claim of age has to do merely with the calendar. The calendar affects us only if we accept it, keep looking at it every day, and wondering what story it tells, instead of proving how impersonal it can ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 3, Get Thee Hence Satan.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:04- 163K
Find Similar Documents
Showing Forth the Presence of God: Chapter 10, Start the Flow to God
- Chapter Ten Start the Flow to God Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days. Ecclesiastes 11:1 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. Matthew 13:12 The earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof. Psalm 24:1 Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine. Luke 15:31 The kingdom of God is within you. Luke 17:21 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ. Romans 8:16,17 The above quotations indicate that you now have the fullness of the God-head bodily; you have all that God has. It may not appear that way looking out with the eyes, hearing with the ears, tasting, touching, or smelling with the physical senses. It may not appear at first to the physical senses that you have all that God has or even a little bit of it. It may even appear that you lack something. But you are not to judge by appearances. You are to judge righteous or spiritual judgment, and spiritual judgment, that is, spiritual discernment, reveals that all that God is you are. All that the Father has is yours. All that God is, you individually are. Allness The allness of God is made manifest as the allness of the son. God is both the Father and the Son: God, the Father, God, the Son. When you acknowledge your sonship, you are knowing the truth, and the truth will make you free, free from discordant appearances or experiences. But the truth you must know is that nothing can be added to you, that you cannot get anything, you cannot achieve anything, and you cannot demonstrate anything because all that the Father has is already yours. The life of God is your life; therefore, your life is eternal. The mind of God is your mind; therefore, you have infinite intelligence. God, the Soul, is your individual soul; therefore, you are as pure as God. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...r 10, Start the Flow to God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:13- 127K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Discernment: Chapter 1, Peeling Off the Onion Skins
- Chapter One Peeling Off the Onion Skins In the history of the world, it is recorded that those who received the greatest light were those who were in deepest need of spiritual light and who had to search more seriously and diligently than the persons who were getting along comfortably without God. It takes desperation of one sort or another to drive us deep enough into the heart of God to find God. As a rule, it is only when human companionship has not sufficed, when human supply has not given us enough happiness, satisfaction, or completeness, and when even human health has not made us relax in an inner peace that we ask, "Lord, Lord, where art Thou?" Then it is that we begin the search for truth. Then it is that we try to find out if there is not a God, if there is not a Something somewhere that would bring to us what we are seeking. And what are we seeking? Most of all, peace. If we had peace, we would not be disturbed by physical, mental, or financial discomfort. But we have not found peace. We think that we can find peace if we have enough education, a good job, or a happy marriage, but even if we do enjoy financial comfort, good family relationships, and all other desirable human things, very often there is still something else that we have not achieved, and out of that hunger comes the search. As far as Joel Goldsmith was concerned, he was a businessman, and he was not doing too badly in the business world except for some momentary periods that everyone sooner or later has in business. There was no idea in his mind that he would at any time ever be connected with a religious, philosophical, or metaphysical work. That was no part of his consciousness. At best, it can be said that he had that hunger to find something more satisfying than a highball, a game of cards, a theater, a dance, or even a successful business, and that he was trying to find something better than those things. Most of us come to the grace of God through our ills and our discords. I was ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Peeling Off the Onion Skins.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:13- 121K
Find Similar Documents
The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 16, Know the Truth
- ~ 16 ~ KNOW THE TRUTH I'm going to digress for a moment to answer a very important question that came up during our break. In my former metaphysical training, we were told not to specifically treat anyone unless he asked for it, because it hurried him along too fast spiritually, like pulling a child by the arm. There were other reasons, too. But this would be absolutely true if you were working in the mental realm. In other words, you have no more right to enter a person's mental household uninvited than you have to enter his home. Each person should be permitted the integrity of his own mind, his own body, his own home, his own supply, without anyone intruding uninvited. If a person were ill-and for all you know he might be depending upon materia medica-you would have absolutely no right to try to heal him by your means, any more than if you were ill and relying on spiritual means, would you want somebody to stuff medicine into your mouth or take advantage of your being unconscious to otherwise medicate you. You wouldn't want that because you have determined your way of life, even to the extent that you would rather pass from this scene under your own principles of health rather than to remain here under medication or by surgery. I've known many cases like that. To give a person treatment through mental practice means you are entering the household of his mind and interfering with his mental processes, probably even disturbing him. You have no right to do that. If you are working from the mental standpoint of giving treatment to people, don't do it unless you are asked to. It is not your right. And as long as you are following the teaching of the Infinite Way, you will never give anyone a treatment, not only uninvited, but not even if you are invited to, because we do not give treatment to anyone. Never, under any circumstance, do we give treatment to anyone, even if they should ask for it. Why? That is not the procedure of the Infinite Way healing principles. The ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Chapter 16, Know the Truth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:52- 150K
Find Similar Documents