Consciousness Is What I Am: Chapter 5, Evolving States of Consciousness
- ~ 5 ~ EVOLVING STATES OF CONSCIOUSNESS There is an invisible substance or essence called Consciousness, which can be experienced, but never defined or analyzed. It has a meaning beyond that found in any dictionary, a meaning that we can comprehend only through our spiritual awareness or powers of discernment. Consciousness is not only eternal and omnipresent but It is our individual consciousness or awareness, the substance, cause, and law of individual being. That Consciousness is so infinite that It fills all space, not merely on earth, beneath the earth, and in heaven, but It is the consciousness of the entire universe, from everlasting to everlasting, without beginning and without end: unconditioned, eternal, immortal Being. This unconditioned Consciousness functioned in Its fullness in the beginning. We were the expression of that functioning, and our experience was wholly pure, immortal, and eternal. There was no sin in it, no disease, no death, no lack, and no limitation. It was a pure state of spiritual being. At some time in the history of mankind, man lost his divine heritage, that is, he became unaware of it. It is described in Scripture as the Adamic experience. Adam and Eve, symbolic figures, represent the human race which accepted a belief in two powers, a power of good and a power of evil, and by accepting that belief they were driven out of the Garden of Eden and became separated from their Source, God-consciousness. That is the belief, but nothing really can separate anyone from infinite divine harmony. As a result of the sense of separation that sprang up, symbolized by Adam and Eve being cast out of the Garden of Eden, we find a mortal concept being entertained in the form of two sons. These two sons were the mortal concepts of the human race-one good and one evil. With that concept, the human race went deep down into degradation, into the lowest form of human life, even cannibalism in some places, with murder a natural accompaniment of this low ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ing States of Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:23- 106K
Find Similar Documents
The Government of Eden: Chapter 8, When We Spread Fear, Rumor, ...
- VIII when we spread fear, rumor, hysteria, and mass confusion O N EVERY HAND mankind is gripped by fear in the face of nerve-shattering world conditions, and those of us who have been able, even in a measure, to see the unreal nature of the evil rampant in the world have not only the responsibility of releasing people from their fears but, in releasing them from their fears, preventing the greater tragedy that their fears may bring upon them. People do not fear because they are cowards; they fear because they are gripped by universal hypnotism that makes them act in ways foreign to their nature. It is mass hysteria, having its foundation in ignorance. The evils that befall us are not in God or man but rather in the conditioning that we have received through the ignorance that has been foisted upon us from time immemorial. In other words, every time that we give power to a person, a thing, or a condition, our consciousness is showing forth its conditioning, and to that extent, we become victims of it. It might come as a surprise to see how easy it would be for some person, either for a specific purpose or an experiment, to show us how quickly we could be made to distrust one another, and then, in the end, fear one another. It has been done over and over and over again. It is a very simple thing to condition the minds of persons who are not alert so that they unthinkingly accept the opinions, thoughts, and beliefs of others and respond robot- like to individual suggestions or mass hysteria. If we listened to all the propaganda and the opinions of others, very soon we would be fighting not only with our families but with our neighbors and the whole world. The question is this: To whom do we give allegiance? To whom do we surrender our minds and our thoughts? It is very difficult for persons who have not been taught the value of meditation to turn within to the Presence for Its guidance, instruction, and wisdom. Instead, they rely on opinions gathered from newspapers, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...overnment of Eden_Chapter 8.pdf
Modified: 2021-01-25 13:32:06- 84K
Find Similar Documents
The Contemplative Life: Chapter 1, Conscious Awareness
- ~ 1 ~ CONSCIOUS AWARENESS Many persons who are seeking for truth or striving to find a way that will lead them out of the inharmonies and discords of life gather the impression that there is some quick or short way of overcoming all their problems; that there is some kind of a message that they can read in books or hear from the lips of a teacher or lecturer, that will quickly take them away from the troubles of a material way of living into the harmonies of the spiritual life. This is the mistake that is made in every one of the Western countries. It is not so in the East, where the relative unimportance of time is better understood and where it is realized that an evolution of consciousness can take place only over a span of years. But in the West, where in one short life-cycle we have gone from lamplight to modern electric lighting and from the horse and buggy era to automobiles and airplanes, where there has been an increase in the speed of travel from 100 miles an hour to thousands of miles, we do not seem to have sufficient time or sufficient interest to take the time for the development of spiritual consciousness. Because of this unbelievably rapid progress, materially and mechanically, which has set the tempo of our times, many think that it is possible to apply this same accelerated speed to the spiritual life. But when it comes to spiritual unfoldment and spiritual progress, it is quite a different story. There, an element of time enters into the situation, and it is this element of time that our Western world seems unwilling to accept, or may not be able or prepared to accept. It is often possible for those of us who come to a spiritual teaching to have our problems quickly met-physical, mental, moral, or financial-but, of course, even if all our major problems were quickly met, we still would be no better off than we were before, except for a little temporary relief from the world's discords, because regardless of what freedom we attain through the help ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter 1, Conscious Awareness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:37- 132K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: November 1957, Gratitude
- CHAPTER ELEVEN: NOVEMBER Gratitude FEW people understand the nature of gratitude. Just what is gratitude? Are human beings capable of gratitude? Actually, we should not expect gratitude from a person, and if we do expect it, we shall be disappointed because gratitude is beyond the capacity of a human being. Many people believe that money and gratitude are synonymous, but in reality, they have no relationship to each other. There are times when money can be a symbol of gratitude, but it is a mistake to tie them together because gratitude goes far beyond money. For example, if we should ask a practitioner for help for a headache and attempted to express our gratitude in a monetary form, we might well believe that a nominal payment would be a sufficient expression of gratitude; but on the other hand, if we were healed of a cancer, we might feel that even if we took our last dollar and ran into debt besides, it would be a very small token of gratitude for such a healing. In both cases, we would be wrong, because gratitude for spiritual healing has no relationship at all to what has been healed. Spiritual healing can only come through a realization of God. It can only take place when an individual has so dedicated himself to spiritual living that he becomes a transparency through which God can act; and when the Spirit of God flows through an individual, that Spirit of God can heal the headache or the cancer. There should be no difference in the degree of gratitude in either case because our gratitude should not be merely for the healing of a headache or for the healing of a cancer. No, we should be grateful because we have been privileged to be a living witness to the fact that God is as available on earth today as He was two thousand years ago. How, then, can we be more grateful for the presence of God in one case than in another? The world at large does not have access to God because it has cut itself off from contact with God. Many people believe that if they go to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...m_ November 1957, Gratitude.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:09- 147K
Find Similar Documents
Man Was Not Born to Cry: Chapter 2, The One Great Demonstration
- ~ 2 ~ THE ONE GREAT DEMONSTRATION Learning the importance of meditation is one of the first requisites in the development of spiritual awareness. Regardless of our intellectual capabilities or the amount of reading or listening we may do, our spiritual capacity expands only in proportion to our ability to meditate. This spiritual awareness is developed in silence, not in thinking, in listening, or in reading. More of it can be developed in one minute of silence than in twenty-four hours of reading. For this reason, reading and studying are but tools which we use to enable us to reach that inner silence known as meditation. As we meditate and open this inner Soul or spiritual faculty, we shall not only understand things that we knew about and never before understood, but things that we may never even have heard of before. In the stillness and quiet of the silence, we are able to receive what cannot be heard through the ears. The more often we meditate-not the length of time in any one period, but the number of times in each twenty-four hours, even if each time be only one minute, or two or three-the more rapidly will our spiritual awareness be developed, and spiritual harmony brought into our experience. When our eyes are closed and we are in the darkness within, we find the entire kingdom of God there, ready to pour itself into our mind, our body, our home, our business, and even into our purse. With eyes closed, our attitude is one of receptivity as though we were inviting God to speak to us, or as though we were inviting the spirit to flow forth through us. Our part is to remember that the fullness of God is within us, and as we are still, the spirit makes itself manifest in our experience. Infinity Is the Measure of Our Being The first and greatest principle of The Infinite Way, the principle upon which its entire activity has been founded, is that God constitutes individual being, your being and mine. God is the mind of me, the life, the Soul, the spirit, and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...The One Great Demonstration.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:56- 128K
Find Similar Documents
Man Was Not Born to Cry: Chapter 1, The Spiritual New Year
- ~ 1 ~ THE SPIRITUAL NEW YEAR If the beginning of a new year remains only a calendar-wise beginning, it has no significance whatsoever and produces no assurance as to the kind of a year it can be for you or for me individually, or for anyone else in the world. Always at this time there are the traditional Happy New Years, but regardless of how many good wishes are given or received, they are without power to bring about happiness, peace, harmony, or prosperity in the new, or in any other, year. Newspapers on New Year's Day are usually filled with predictions for the coming year; figures and statistics are examined in an attempt to forecast what will happen; but inasmuch as each person has an entirely different way of evaluating available statistics, each arrives at a different conclusion. It would be interesting to read the predictions in the January 1 editions of last year's newspapers to see how very few of them have come to pass, for neither predictions nor wishes have power to bring about anything in our experience. Far from presenting a hopeless picture, however, this really is the foundation for a very encouraging one because once it is realized that predictions and wishes have no influence upon the year, people can then begin to see what can be done within themselves that will have an effect upon the course of the New Year. The Power of an Individual Everyone has not only tremendous influence upon his own life and upon the lives of those who are near and dear to him but, far more than this, he has the possibility of influencing the whole world. In fact, the course of history has often been altered by one person. The 1960 election is an excellent example of the power of the individual. Just a few votes in this community or in that changed the results in a state and, comparatively speaking, less than half of one percent determined the result of the entire election. So when we are tempted to think how little power we have in shaping the history of our nation or ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...r 1, The Spiritual New Year.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:56- 130K
Find Similar Documents
The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 16, Know the Truth
- ~ 16 ~ KNOW THE TRUTH I'm going to digress for a moment to answer a very important question that came up during our break. In my former metaphysical training, we were told not to specifically treat anyone unless he asked for it, because it hurried him along too fast spiritually, like pulling a child by the arm. There were other reasons, too. But this would be absolutely true if you were working in the mental realm. In other words, you have no more right to enter a person's mental household uninvited than you have to enter his home. Each person should be permitted the integrity of his own mind, his own body, his own home, his own supply, without anyone intruding uninvited. If a person were ill-and for all you know he might be depending upon materia medica-you would have absolutely no right to try to heal him by your means, any more than if you were ill and relying on spiritual means, would you want somebody to stuff medicine into your mouth or take advantage of your being unconscious to otherwise medicate you. You wouldn't want that because you have determined your way of life, even to the extent that you would rather pass from this scene under your own principles of health rather than to remain here under medication or by surgery. I've known many cases like that. To give a person treatment through mental practice means you are entering the household of his mind and interfering with his mental processes, probably even disturbing him. You have no right to do that. If you are working from the mental standpoint of giving treatment to people, don't do it unless you are asked to. It is not your right. And as long as you are following the teaching of the Infinite Way, you will never give anyone a treatment, not only uninvited, but not even if you are invited to, because we do not give treatment to anyone. Never, under any circumstance, do we give treatment to anyone, even if they should ask for it. Why? That is not the procedure of the Infinite Way healing principles. The ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Chapter 16, Know the Truth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:52- 150K
Find Similar Documents
Realization of Oneness: Chapter 2, Release Man
- 2) Release Man Freedom is the normal and natural state of the son of God. The person who has realized his spiritual nature and identity and who lives by the Spirit cannot be limited in any way. There is no way to confine spiritual being. On the other hand, a human being can never escape slavery because slavery is the natural state of the human being. A human being is destined to be in slavery throughout all his days; he can never know freedom. Therefore, the only hope a human being has is to rise out of his humanhood. The dignity of the individual demands freedom-freedom from political and religious domination, wage domination, from every form of domination, including the most enslaving of all, the domination of the body. Even those who have achieved a measure of freedom from all other forms of slavery finally must acknowledge that they are slaves of the body. They live within its confines, and the body is a hard taskmaster. The body tells us when it is healthy and when it is sick. It tells us how much walking we can do and how much running. It tells us how many hours a day we can work. We seem to have no control over the body. It has control over us: we obey its mandates and are limited by its demands. This is not natural; this is not normal; and this is not the birthright of man. This condition has been imposed upon the human race that lives in ignorance of the principles that will make it free. Freedom, however, does not come by fighting evil. It does not come by overpowering error, nor does it come by appealing to some unknown God to come down out of the sky to rescue us from our vile prisons. It does not come through warfare of any name or nature. Freedom comes through enlightenment, and that enlightenment comes through opening our consciousness to that which cannot be seen, heard, tasted, touched, or smelled, to a Power invisible, a Power that does not war with other powers, but dissolves everything that appears in the nature of an enemy-whether without our ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ess_ Chapter 2, Release Man.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:03- 154K
Find Similar Documents
Living by the Word: Chapter 12, The Message of the Bible
- Chapter Twelve The Message of the Bible The state of consciousness you are, the elevation of consciousness you attain, this determines what manner of life you lead. It determines whether you live the life of a grub-worm, of a slave, or a free man, or the life of a spiritual entity. It all depends upon what your state of consciousness is. In one state of consciousness, you could very well have been a slave and had everybody ordering you about. But as, through Grace, a higher realization came, you asserted your dominion and became a free man-still human, but free. As greater light came and your consciousness changed, you realized, "I am not merely a free man. I am a spiritual man. I have God-given strength, God-given dominion, and God-given freedom." Eventually you will reach the place in consciousness where Jesus was when he said, "He that seeth me seeth him that sent me." 1 Jesus had not always been at that stage. At one time he was at the state of other Hebrew rabbis in the temple, but he grew until he came to the passage where he read from the book of Isaiah and said, "The spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised. . . . This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears." 2 With that, he realized, "Why, no, I'm not going to stand on a platform just reading out of a book." So he stepped down from that platform and went out into the world, not as a temple rabbi but as a world rabbi. Later, all that passed from him, and he was no longer a rabbi: he was a Master. So it is that one day you are addressed as housewife or businessman, then one day as a practitioner, and later as teacher. If you keep ascending in consciousness, one day you will be addressed as Master. It all depends on your state of consciousness. If you have advanced to this point, you are already ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...2, The Message of the Bible.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:49- 125K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: May 1955, The Comforter
- CHAPTER FIVE: MAY The Comforter "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?" (I Cor. 3:16.) THE time is approaching when the world will be so filled with the conscious realization of the Presence of God that all evil or error will be dispelled by the very presence of man. The great secret of life is this: God is incarnated in man. God is manifest as man. God is in the midst of you-". . . the place where thou standest is holy ground." There is just as much of God in you, right where you are, as there would be if the heavens could open and God Itself come into you. If this were not true Jesus could not have healed, neither could the disciples nor the apostles, nor the metaphysical and spiritual practitioners of this day. You are divine, because the Spirit of God is manifest as your very being. God has embodied Itself as your Soul, Mind and Spirit. God, in Its essence, is invisible, God, in Its expression, is visible as you and as me. In the days of old the Hebrews thought the Messiah was a man, but the One whom they thought was the Messiah said, "Before Abraham was, I am." Messiah is the Spirit of God in man, and the Hebrews who prophesied the coming of the Messiah were absolutely correct, except that they put it in time and space. The Messiah does not come in time and space: It comes in consciousness. The Christ, or Messiah, is born when you recognize the Presence of the Spirit of God in you. Never is this external: always it is within you, but the effect is external. Love goes before you and is felt by all whom you touch. "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you . . . I will send him unto you." The Comforter is your divine state of consciousness; that area of your consciousness which is the Christ, the Spirit of Truth the Savior, the Messiah. All of this is within you, and the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...sm_ May 1955, The Comforter.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:07- 133K
Find Similar Documents