The Heart of Mysticism: July 1958, There Is No Power in Fear
- CHAPTER SEVEN: JULY There is No Power in Fear IN The Infinite Way, students are taught to make a conscious transition from dependence on the visible and tangible to a radical and complete reliance on the Invisible, until they come to a point where they live through and by the Invisible, by that which cannot be cognized by the physical senses. If this practice is continuous, it is not long before that unknown Invisible becomes tangible and evident as a feeling, as awareness, a presence, which is the "peace, be still" 1 to every fear. Only by removing power from the visible and depending solely on the Infinite Invisible can fear be supplanted with confidence. Fear grips the world. The health of the world today seems to rest upon the precarious foundation of fear. Health seems to be based not on an understanding of God, but on fear. The entire world is held in bondage to the fear of cancer, the fear of heart disease, the fear of infection, and the fear of contagion. We are warned to have the heart examined periodically, to have the lungs x-rayed at regular intervals, and to have tests to ascertain the presence or absence of cancer. To live in a state of fear is inevitable in a world that lives primarily from the standpoint of preserving health or some particular form of wealth. Anything that endangers a person's livelihood engenders fear; anything that endangers a person's heart, lungs, or any organ of his body brings fear; anything that endangers a person's human sense of life arouses fear. This is inevitable as long as these material forms are the gods of the human world. If the object of life is merely to live ten years longer or to have a little less pain, or if the primary purpose of life is to be sure that enough supply comes in every week, then anything which might interfere with the achievement of those ends or make them unattainable would result in fear. Fear is at the root of most of the troubles of those who seek help. Only a few people turn to a spiritual ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..., There Is No Power in Fear.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:02- 144K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: March 1955, Protection
- CHAPTER THREE: MARCH Protection IN the material sense of life, the word "protection" brings up the thought of defense or armor, a hiding place from an enemy, or some sense of withdrawal from danger. In the mental sciences, protection refers to some thought or idea, or some form of prayer that would save one from injury or hurt from an outside source. In the use of the word "protection" thought is immediately drawn to the fact that existing somewhere is a destructive or harmful activity or presence or power, and that protection, by word or thought, is a means of finding security from this danger to one's self or one's affairs. In The Infinite Way we have learned that God is One: therefore, God is one power, and we live in that conscious One-ness. The moment the idea of God as One begins to dawn in consciousness we understand that in all this world there is no power and no presence from which we need protection. You will see this as you dwell on the word "Omnipresence," and realize that in this All-presence of Good you are completely alone with a divine harmony-a harmony which pervades and permeates consciousness, and is in itself the All-ness and the Only- ness of Good. Ponder this idea and meditate upon it, and note how the revelation and assurance comes to you, within your own being, that this is true: there is but One, and because of the nature of that One there is no outside influence for either good or evil. There is no presence or power to which to pray for any good that does not already exist as Omnipresence, right where you are. In your periods of communion note the assurance that comes with the realization that God alone is, and that God's Presence is infinite. There is no other power; there is no other Presence; there is no destructive or harmful influence in any person, place or thing; there is no evil in any condition. God could not be One and yet find an existence separate and apart from that One. God alone is being-think of that, God alone is Being. How ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ism_ March 1955, Protection.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:06- 131K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: October 1958, Break The Fetters That Bind You
- CHAPTER TEN: OCTOBER Break the Fetters that Bind You MANY of the difficulties and struggles in our experience come because we are living on different planes of consciousness, sometimes on one and sometimes on another, and often these planes are in conflict one with another. On one plane we are physical beings with minds, the body being the dominant factor; on another plane we are mental beings with bodies, that is, we are a mind and a body, and the body is governed by the mind. It may be governed by a conscious activity of mind or it may be by an involuntary activity of mind. In recent months, there have been many accounts in magazines and newspapers of the experiments which have been conducted in the area of subliminal perception through the medium of television and the motion picture. In the first experiments, which were held inside a moving picture theatre, the audience was instructed to go into the lobby during the intermission to buy popcorn and coca cola. Even though they did not know such a suggestion had been given to them, because the slide had been flashed across the screen so rapidly that it was invisible to the eyes and, therefore, did not register consciously in the mind, the majority of those in the theatre were impelled to obey this suggestion. Whether or not they wanted the popcorn or coca cola made no difference. The impulsion was so strong that they felt compelled to go out and buy it, giving their good money for something they may not have wanted and otherwise would not have bought. It was not necessary for them to be aware of the suggestion, to see or to hear it, and there was no knowledge that it was even being made. If a person is not alert, he will obey such subtly given instructions because this technique is not aimed at the conscious mind; it is aimed at the subconscious. These experiments show the extent to which the body obeys the dictates of the mind. On the human level of consciousness, that is exactly what happens. The body is subject ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...k The Fetters That Bind You.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:11- 136K
Find Similar Documents
The Master Speaks: Chapter 13, Individual Consciousness
- ~ 13 ~ INDIVIDUAL CONSCIOUSNESS The principle of life, which we all must learn, is that we cannot have anything until we first have the consciousness of that thing. If we were given a million dollars, we probably could not hold on to it, unless, in some way, we had developed the consciousness of a million dollars. That is one of the reasons why fortunes are lost. Those who inherit fortunes, even some of the people who earn them, cannot keep them, because if there is not a consciousness of wealth behind the inheritance or the amassing of a fortune, it will be dissipated, sooner or later, in one way or another. The same principle applies to every situation. In order to have a beautiful home, it is necessary to have the consciousness of a beautiful home. Without that, a home would be only a house, and either its owner might or might not decorate and furnish it in good taste, or it might be furnished by someone else in conformity with the prevailing fashion of the day. The principle of life-the principle of life-is consciousness. We must have the consciousness of a thing in order to have the thing itself. The first step in this work is attaining the conscious awareness of the presence of God. There are many ways of doing this. One method is outlined in The Infinite Way in the chapter on "Meditation," in which, upon awakening in the morning, you fill yourself with the consciousness of truth, with the realization of God's presence. Then, throughout the day, you should continue to recognize and realize the presence and the allness of God. Whether you are receiving or disbursing money, whether you are eating or drinking, always recognize God as the source. Acknowledge God, acknowledge Christ as the reality of your being. If you persist in that throughout the day and evening, even if for only brief periods, you will find that within a short time, your thought will become so spiritualized that your outer experience will be transformed. The statement, "I live; yet not I, but ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...3, Individual Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:29- 128K
Find Similar Documents
The World Is New: Chapter 18, God, Omnipresent and the Only Power
- ~ 18 ~ GOD, OMNIPRESENT AND THE ONLY POWER MOST PEOPLE COME TO A STUDY OF TRUTH seeking release from the cares and the ills of the world, and for a while it is a very satisfying experience to know that all manner of problems can be met through spiritual power by means of prayer. To receive healings, especially if materia medica has declared the disease to be serious or fatal, is a never-to-be-forgotten experience by those who have had them. I know what this means because, after the First World War, I was told that I had less than three months to live. There was no known cure for my trouble and there was nothing that materia medica could do to save me. As a matter of fact, in all the years that have passed since then no cure has been found for that particular disease. Nevertheless, in spite of this verdict, in three months I was so completely healed that there has never been a sign or trace of the trouble in all the years since 1921. I have had many other healings through the Spirit and I have witnessed thousands of healings-true, many of them minor claims, but also some very major ones according to materia medica. Undoubtedly, many of you have had similar experiences with disease or with sin. It was in 1928 as I was sitting with a practitioner that all my smoking, drinking and card-playing habits disappeared. These were not great vices, but nevertheless they were errors according to the spiritual way of living, yet they all disappeared in that one two-hour experience, never to return. Not only did a healing of smoking, drinking, card playing and a few other minor human errors take place, but illumination came-a lifting of consciousness above what we might call the earth plane, and never in all the years that have gone by since that time have I completely come down to earth again. This does not mean that there have not been many problems during that time-many. But I have learned that all of them were a part of my own development. As the years unfolded, there came a ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ipresent and the Only Power.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:46- 129K
Find Similar Documents
Awakening Mystical Consciousness: Chapter 11, Awakening to the Soul-Faculties
- ~ 11 ~ AWAKENING TO THE SOUL-FACULTIES WHEN we live as human beings with only our human faculties to draw upon, we present to the world and to each other a human selfhood: human qualities and human awareness. This human selfhood is always limited, always finite, consisting mostly of what we have learned through education, personal experience, environment, and prenatal influences. Hidden behind this personal self, however, is our real Self. There is another Being, another Something besides the physical and mental person. Paul called that Something the Christ, which really means the son of God, the spiritual identity of our being, the reality of us. The sense of separation from God that arose out of what is called the Fall of Man has resulted in our limited humanhood, in which we have only our own gifts or lack of them to live by, our education or lack of it, our home experience or lack of it, and a good environment or a lack of it. These are the things that govern the human being, and yet all the time there is dormant within every person this spiritual Selfhood called the Christ, spiritual consciousness, or Christ- consciousness. At some point in humanity's history, a stirring began within; and one here and one there found himself awakened inside through contemplation of the wonder of life. He found himself in possession of another dimension of life and saw something greater than his surroundings, greater than his own mind or brain, greater than his own wisdom. So he came into the awareness of the truth that there was dormant within him a Presence or spiritual faculty that, when awakened, enlightened him on things he could not possibly know merely through education or human knowledge. This spiritual faculty is aroused through meditation. Inner contemplation leads to an experience in consciousness where contemplation ceases, where we no longer think-not even on spiritual things-and thought seems to settle down into a stillness, a listening attitude, a hearing ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ening to the Soul-Faculties.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:09- 125K
Find Similar Documents
Beyond Words & Thoughts: Chapter 5, Rising to Mystical Consciousness in Prayer & Treatment
- ~ 5 ~ RISING TO MYSTICAL CONSCIOUSNESS IN PRAYER AND TREATMENT In the spiritual life, you must never forget that you are not living your own life and that you have no right whatsoever to consider what you would like to do, when you would like to do it, or how. Always in the back of your mind is the reminder that it is God's life that is being lived, and it is your privilege to be at that state of consciousness where you can watch God live your life without interposing a wish, a will, or a desire of your own. The average truth student is not at the stage of development where he can do this because he has duties to his family or his business, and until such time as the Spirit Itself says, "Leave all for Me," * or "Leave your nets," no student should ever forget his responsibility to his family, his associates, and to his work. Rather should his study and his meditations become the foundation for the more harmonious functioning of these facets of his life. It is only to the few that the call to leave their "nets" eventually comes, and when it does come, it is unmistakable, and it compels obedience. After that, the nature of one's life changes. This change does not permit the neglect or desertion of one's business or family obligations, but it does make it possible to provide for their independent care so that one may be set free for whatever demands the call may make. Let no Infinite Way student believe, however, that the call to leave his "nets" is an excuse to desert or neglect his human duties or obligations. Those who enter the spiritual ministry because of a human desire to do good, or before they have heard the spiritual call, make little or no progress. This is because they have not yet learned to rest on the Infinite Invisible. They do not have the spiritual vision that makes it possible for them to know the Unknowable. The message of the Infinite Way did not come through the human mind, nor can it be imparted by or to the human mind. To the human mind, this ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...sness in Prayer & Treatment.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:11- 143K
Find Similar Documents
Collected Essays of Joel Goldsmith: The Deep Silence of My Peace
- The Deep Silence of My Peace "MY PEACE I GIVE unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you," but My peace, a peace to which you must cling even when the turmoil which disturbs the outer world comes into your world to bring about either doubt or fear of those things or conditions that exist in the world. If you really want to attain a sense of peace, learn to drop all thought or concern for whatever it is that is disturbing in the outer picture. Now, it is not easy for me to write this any more than it is easy for you to read it, but the desire in the hearts of most of us right now is for some solution to an outer problem, a problem of human existence, to something that is disturbing us in the world of health or wealth. Most of us are concerned about something in our human affairs, and we are seeking a solution to it. There is nothing wrong with that; the solution must appear because harmony must appear, but we will fail to find the solution as long as we are concerned with the problem and the solution of the problem. We can have the answer to that problem here and now if we can sufficiently drop our concern for it in the realization of this "My peace," that is, the Christ- peace. This is Jesus speaking: "My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth"-not the peace of physical health or material wealth, not the satisfaction of personal desires, but something far transcending these, something that, when we experience it, wipes out entirely the need for human demonstration. That is what we want to achieve here and now. Right now we must, and many of us can, drop this concern, lose concern for whatever it is, whatever the nature of it may be, that we brought with us when we turned to these words. We cannot do this humanly by telling it to get out or "get . . . behind me, Satan," but we can open our consciousness at this minute to a realization of "My peace." Watch this as it flows through your consciousness; watch as you open yourself, even with the question: ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...he Deep Silence of My Peace.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:15- 119K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: February 3, 1963, As Ye Sow
- AS YE SOW February 3, 1963 The Halekulani Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii A QUESTION COMES TO MY MIND this week which is, "How many of our students are reading or studying the writings objectively?" How many still read them with a measure of emotion or sentiment? A letter came to me this week from one of our students. It describes a nice and respectable family that engages in orthodox religious worship, but very good. A terrible tragedy has struck that family and the question is asked, "How can such a thing happen to such a nice family?" Is there any one of our students who does not know what the answer is? If you are in any doubt as to the answer to that question then you are not studying objectively because there isn't a book or a tape or a Letter that does not have the answer to it. If there is anything we know and know that we know, it is the reason for error. That we know. If we don't know anything else, we do know that-and if there are any in doubt on that subject, they are not seriously studying the message. They are reading it but not reading it objectively. Even the most casual reading reveals the "natural" man is not under the law of God and indeed cannot be. As long as he remains the creature-the natural man-he is neither under the law of God nor protected by God nor maintained or sustained by God. This really is the entire history of the human race and accounts for some becoming dictators while others become the lambs led to the slaughter. As you read in history of the rise to power of Mussolini or Hitler, you will soon see there was no God on earth to protect the people on earth-no God to intercede for them. In the same way, if you read the earlier history of the United States and the coming to power of some of our so-called big corporations, robbing, cheating, defrauding, you would soon ask, "Where was God in all this?" So if we have given you nothing else, we have certainly given you the reason why iniquities and injustices exist on earth. We have also ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...February 3, 1963, As Ye Sow.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:10- 99K
Find Similar Documents
I Stand on Holy Ground: Chapter 9, Cast Thy Bread on the Waters
- ... Everyone Has Something To Give There never has been an excuse for continued poverty, for lack or limitation. Look out at this world and see how much wealth there is on every hand. Many persons do not think so, but there is only one reason they are not expressing abundance. They are not giving enough, or they would be partaking of that wealth because nothing can be withheld from those who give. Lack or limitation is the experience of those who for one reason or another withhold or who accept the belief that they have nothing to give. There is no one who has nothing to give. Everybody can give forgiveness; everybody can give companionship; everybody can give some unselfed service. I do not mean service to your family. There is nothing unselfed or giving about that. That is personal and selfish, for your own good. I am talking about impersonal giving, impersonal service. With the exception of those who have been hospitalized with a long costly illness, there is no one in the world who ... You came into this world with nothing, and whatever comes to you comes from God, and whatever you have to give, share, and pour out is from God's storehouse, not from yours! Once you begin to perceive this, you will never be satisfied to tithe merely ten percent. It will increase to fifteen percent, twenty, and twenty-five percent, until the day comes, as it has already come in the experience of some persons, that you may be tithing eighty percent. God's law is giving; God's law is outpouring; God's law is expressing. You are violating God's law when you fail to do that. I am not referring only to money. Money is but one of the facets. Pour out forgiveness; pour out understanding, cooperation and, above all, be sure that you are not seeking to get something. You have to learn to do whatever you are doing without ever entertaining the thought of a return. In marriage a husband usually contributes one thing and a wife some other thing. It is a mutual giving. Everyone has a different idea ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ast Thy Bread on the Waters.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:37- 122K
Find Similar Documents