Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 16, Illumined Consciousness
- ~ 16 ~ ILLUMINED CONSCIOUSNESS AGAIN WE HAVE A TERM like Christ-consciousness, or illumined consciousness. Sometimes we wonder, "What is that thing, Christ consciousness? What is illumined consciousness?" The consciousness that thinks of God as something separate and apart from its own being, the consciousness that has not received some training or teaching along a metaphysical line, is a very much unillumined consciousness. Let us say that is your consciousness or my consciousness before we receive any spiritual or metaphysical teaching. And now let us say that for a year or two or three we study with any of the schools of metaphysical thought. By that time we have learned of God as the reality of being, we've taken God out of the skies and identified him with us. In our unillumined state of consciousness, we thought of Jesus as Christ, but now, through illumination, we understand Christ as the spirit-of God, of the man Jesus, and of you and of me. For Jesus said that before Abraham was, he is, and that the Christ will be with you until the end of the world. So the Christ is a possibility for us. Perhaps we have learned in the first or second or third year of metaphysical study that prayer isn't asking God to give us sunny weather on the day we want to go picnicking and it isn't asking God to take away our sins or our diseases. Perhaps we have learned enough to know that prayer is an inner realization of our present spiritual perfection. By that time we have become an illumined consciousness up to that point; we are at least some degree of illumined consciousness. Now, we come to this point where we learn to take into our consciousness any word or term on which we are seeking light or knowledge. We have learned now that we don't have to go to a teacher, we don't have to go to a church. All that we have to do now is to take that word or term or idea into our own consciousness and there, in a state of expectancy, wait for the light to shine on it and reveal its ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...16, Illumined Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:22- 120K
Find Similar Documents
Living by Grace: Chapter 8, Message to Teachers on the Spiritual Path
- CHAPTER 8 MESSAGE TO TEACHERS ON THE SPIRITUAL PATH The ministry of Truth tempts many to enter the path to gratify their ego in being known as a practitioner or teacher or lecturer or leader or for some other desire for personal gratification. Be sure you have received the signal within, which is your passport on the journey. The greatest temptation above all others is having one's own concept of Truth. Complete discipleship comes only when all sense of personal knowledge of Truth disappears. While we are on earth, there is never a time when we are outside the range of temptation, because temptation is subtle. It can appear as the desire for prestige, wealth, or fame, or it can appear as the temptation to wield power. Once an individual has been touched by the Spirit, people believe that is not possible for them to sin. That is not true! The Bible is filled with those who succumbed to temptation. There was Judas. There was Lot's wife. There was Peter, who denied the Master. Even Jesus was tempted three times, although He did not succumb to these temptations. The person on the spiritual path, even if he is at the beginner's level, should become conscious of the fact that a wrong done by him or her is far more serious than a wrong done by others. A wrong done under the robe of the Spirit is a crime against the Spirit. There is only one Consciousness, so once God Consciousness has become the consciousness of the teacher and the teacher violates that God Consciousness, the penalty is great. That teacher loses the God Consciousness. It is of utmost importance, therefore, that everyone on the spiritual path, but especially those who would be teachers, maintain at all times a high degree of spiritual integrity. Coming into an Awareness of Spirit Healing work cannot be done with the mind, just as God cannot be reached through the mind. If you knew all the truth in metaphysical textbooks such as Science & Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy, or Lessons in ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...chers on the Spiritual Path.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:47- 167K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 9, Making the Adjustment
- ~ 9 ~ MAKING THE ADJUSTMENT NOW I WANT TO EXPLAIN that for tonight at least, I would like you to be very indulgent and very patient while we do a little adjusting. This is the first class I have ever had where we represent such varying states of consciousness. Because of that I want to make a little explanation and then bring together the adjustment of thought. Some here are widely experienced in metaphysical work from the standpoint of the Christian Science viewpoint; some are widely experienced in metaphysical work from the standpoint of other metaphysical approaches; others are almost beginners in metaphysical work and the spiritual approach to life. So, when I talk I am reaching three different thought patterns and expecting all those three to understand the same thing in the same way and it can't be done. For that reason I think this evening should be devoted to bringing about a sort of equalization to see if everybody tonight, after a week of being together, can see what the approach is; then from here on, for everyone to understand the language we use and all that it means. For that reason I would like to start this evening off with questions-questions from you to me and, if necessary, some from me to you. We will see if we can, by means of these questions, answer some of the differences that may exist. One reason for all of this is that I doubt there is any teaching now current that parallels this one. I don't mean by that, that there is any truth we are expressing or voicing that isn't included in all teaching; I don't mean that. I mean that the particular approach, the particular meaning of the truth or use of the truth or the purpose of the teaching is probably different from almost any other teaching in the metaphysical field. To begin with, I will explain this. On the positive side, which is the side of right identification, we are standing wholly on the revelation of Jesus as given in the Gospel according to John. We are not deviating from that in any ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...er 9, Making the Adjustment.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:20- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 18, Mysticism
- ... I believe that since life is eternal, we have always lived and since we have always lived, we must have lived in or out of some particular state of consciousness and therefore some are very, very much further developed than others. If you, this moment, were to pass on, you would not find yourself having to go through all the things you have had to go through until you came to this spiritual awareness. You would very nearly start off where you are this minute as a spiritually developed soul-or very close to it-in some cases, further ahead even because in some cases the act of transition is a freeing one. Now, there isn't enough clinical proof for anyone to make a definite statement that he knows why one person gets healed quickly and another one doesn't. That is not our particular problem at this moment. Our particular problem is this: the development of the practitioner to that point where he neither fears, hates nor loves error; his development of some measure of Christ-consciousness which means divine love, universal love, a sense of forgiveness, a sense of gratitude, a sense of human affection. Don't forget that the command of the Master was, "Love thy neighbor." 9 It was not only love God but your neighbor too. You have to love your neighbor as yourself. He gave those two great Commandments. He was most clear that what you had to do was love God and love your neighbor. You know, we get so absolute about our love for God sometimes that we just forget our neighbor. But we don't want to do that in this work. We want to take the full measure of the Christ. We want to love God with all our heart and with all our soul but we want to love our neighbor, too. And we want to show forth that love in compassion, in patience, in justice, in kindness, in forbearance, in joy-in willingness to share all of the good that God has given us. Above all we want to give up our egotistic belief that we have personal powers as practitioners. Our healings will be in proportion as we ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...tion_ Chapter 18, Mysticism.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:22- 158K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 5, The Nature of Error
- ~ 5 ~ THE NATURE OF ERROR GOD IS ALL! Nevertheless we are faced every day and almost every hour of every day with error in some form. It is for that reason we come together to study metaphysics or spiritual truths. The object of our study is, of course, coming into oneness with that spiritual life, coming to that point where we are actually able to contact the mind that was in Christ Jesus and thereby have the infinite power, guidance and direction, love and protection of that universal mind and soul. It is natural for us to agree that one reason we would love that, is because it does eliminate the errors of human sense. Now, two things are necessary in that spiritual living. One is this contact, this ability to be one with the mind that was in Christ. The other, which is the letter of truth, is the ability to know our relationship to God and to understand the nature of error. In order to be free of discord, let us never forget that it is necessary for us to know the nature of error. Now, in our meditation we are going to be so consciously one with God that eventually error never comes near us, it fades away automatically even as we approach it. Until that time, let us not hesitate to talk about the nature of error and what we are to do about it as we see evidences of it. We know that error isn't a reality. That is the basis of our understanding. Everyone in this room, regardless of what school of metaphysics he comes through, has accepted, if only intellectually, the unreal nature of error. But in the working out of problems it becomes necessary to go as far as can be with this understanding of the unreal nature of error, so that we can meet it and dissolve it instantaneously. So, before we touch on meditation and the results of meditation, I am going to talk on the nature of error. To begin with, when error appears to us, it appears as a person or as a condition or as a place. In the same way, when good appears to us, it appears as a person, a place, a condition. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pter 5, The Nature of Error.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:19- 114K
Find Similar Documents
The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 21, Living in the Light
- ... It is exactly as if this room were filled with God but no one was aware of it, they were in darkness or sin or disease or lack-as if there were no God in this room. Then one individual realizes, "God is. I Am. God is closer to me man breathing, nearer than hands and feet. I and the Father are one . . . and all that the Father hath is mine. The Lord is my shepherd here and now." And one can rest, can be still, and be a transparency-then the presence and power of God can penetrate the consciousness of those who are in darkness. At the beginning of our prayer we do use words and thoughts leading up to that final stage of realization. As we do world work, thinking of those in this world who are influenced by evil, those who are outlets for evil, we realize, "Father, forgive them. They know not what they do." Let us not hold them in condemnation either, but open their consciousness to this light that they may be freed of whatever it is that binds them to personal sense. With that, there is the removal of condemnation because we have declared that it is not sin, it is merely ignorance. It is not darkness, but an absence of light. So in our forgiveness, in our understanding of the impersonal nature of all evil, we are a transparency through which this transcendental presence can function in the consciousness of the world. You never know where it touches or whom it touches. You have no way of knowing how the light, which reaches earth through the transparency of those in prayer, influences legislation, how it changes decisions. You have no idea how far-reaching it is. That is why some who have attained the light do retire from this world in order, as they would phrase it, to live the life of prayer for the world-not for individuals, but for breaking down the duality in human consciousness. By remaining in their caves or remaining in their little homes somewhere alone, they permit themselves, by praying without ceasing, to be a transparency through which the light comes. And ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 21, Living in the Light.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:53- 125K
Find Similar Documents
Conscious Union with God: Chapter 13, Mysticism
- ... I personally believe that. I believe that since life is eternal, we have always lived, and inasmuch as we have always lived, we must have lived in, or out of, some particular state of consciousness, and therefore some people are very, very much further developed than others. For example, suppose you, who have reached at least a high enough state of consciousness to be reading and studying truth, were at this moment to pass on. You would not find yourself having to experience all the things you had to go through before you came to this spiritual awareness. You would very likely begin on the next plane where you are at this minute as a spiritually developed Soul-in some cases even much further ahead because often the act of transition is a freeing one. Our particular concern at this moment, however, is not to speculate as to why one person gets healed quickly and another one does not. Our particular problem is the development of some measure of Christ-consciousness-that divine universal Love, that sense of forgiveness and gratitude-the development of our consciousness to that point where we neither fear, hate, nor love error. Do not forget that the command of the Master was, "Love thy neighbor." 9 It was not only a command to love God, but to love your neighbor, to love your neighbor as yourself. Sometimes some of us become so absolute about our love for God that we forget our neighbor. But we cannot do that in this work. We want the full measure of the Christ; and therefore, we must not only love God with all our heart and with all our soul, but we must love our neighbor also; and that love must be shown forth in compassion, patience, justice, kindness, forbearance, and joy-a willingness to share all of the good that God has given us. Above all, we must give up our egotistic belief that we have personal powers as practitioners. Our healings will be in proportion as we realize that all power is given to us through God, through the Christ which strengthens us. And that ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... God_ Chapter 13, Mysticism.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:18- 160K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 17, Opening Consciousness to Truth
- ~ 17 ~ OPENING CONSCIOUSNESS TO TRUTH TONIGHT WE ARE GOING TO START with a short period of meditation, but it will be a different meditation than we have had before, in that instead of taking the word into consciousness and pondering it, this time we just will open consciousness and listen. We will just open consciousness for that inflow. We can visualize it this way. Using the illustration of Niagara Falls and Lake Erie, we will suppose here that I am Niagara Falls and in and of myself I am continuously using up myself so that ultimately there would be nothing left, especially in three or four years or ten or twenty. Instead of that, let us know that behind me, as Niagara Falls, there is Lake Erie. As a matter of fact, actually there is no Niagara Falls-Niagara Falls is only a name given to Lake Erie at one corner where it goes over the Falls. Now, so with us. We call ourselves man, but actually we aren't. We are God, but that which is visible of us here is God where God becomes visible, where God comes to a focus, you may say, in an individual yet infinite manner. In other words, it is like realizing that Niagara Falls and Lake Erie are not two but one, and all that Lake Erie is, of course, Niagara is; all that Lake Erie has, Niagara has. But Lake Erie is continuously pouring itself forth as Niagara. So with us. God is forever pouring itself forth as individual you and me. There is really no place where God ends and man begins. I and the Father are one, and that is the meaning of this. There is no place where you can separate us and say here is God and here is man, any more than you can say that up to there is Lake Erie and from here on is Niagara Falls. There is no such place in the whole watershed. Now, since it is true that all of the Godhead is pouring itself forth as individual you and me, the only reason for any lack in our experience, whether it is lack of health or lack of wealth or a lack of opportunity or a lack of any form, is the fact that we have come ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ning Consciousness to Truth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:22- 141K
Find Similar Documents
The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 16, Know the Truth
- ~ 16 ~ KNOW THE TRUTH I'm going to digress for a moment to answer a very important question that came up during our break. In my former metaphysical training, we were told not to specifically treat anyone unless he asked for it, because it hurried him along too fast spiritually, like pulling a child by the arm. There were other reasons, too. But this would be absolutely true if you were working in the mental realm. In other words, you have no more right to enter a person's mental household uninvited than you have to enter his home. Each person should be permitted the integrity of his own mind, his own body, his own home, his own supply, without anyone intruding uninvited. If a person were ill-and for all you know he might be depending upon materia medica-you would have absolutely no right to try to heal him by your means, any more than if you were ill and relying on spiritual means, would you want somebody to stuff medicine into your mouth or take advantage of your being unconscious to otherwise medicate you. You wouldn't want that because you have determined your way of life, even to the extent that you would rather pass from this scene under your own principles of health rather than to remain here under medication or by surgery. I've known many cases like that. To give a person treatment through mental practice means you are entering the household of his mind and interfering with his mental processes, probably even disturbing him. You have no right to do that. If you are working from the mental standpoint of giving treatment to people, don't do it unless you are asked to. It is not your right. And as long as you are following the teaching of the Infinite Way, you will never give anyone a treatment, not only uninvited, but not even if you are invited to, because we do not give treatment to anyone. Never, under any circumstance, do we give treatment to anyone, even if they should ask for it. Why? That is not the procedure of the Infinite Way healing principles. The ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Chapter 16, Know the Truth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:52- 150K
Find Similar Documents
Rising in Consciousness: Chapter 17, God Omnipresent and the Only Power
- ~ 17 ~ GOD, OMNIPRESENT AND THE ONLY POWER ORIGINALLY WE CAME TO THE STUDY OF TRUTH for our own good. Most of us have come to this work because of some sin or disease or lack in our experiences. Probably some of you came seeking only God. But I think the experience of most practitioners is that they find that most come to this truth seeking for release from the cares and the ills of the world. I came that way. Most of the people I know have come that way. For awhile it is a very satisfying experience to learn that physical ills can be met through prayer or treatment, through spiritual power. It is a very thrilling thing to experience a healing, especially if materia medica has said that the disease is serious or fatal. Some of these healing experiences will never be forgotten by those who have had them. After the First World War, I was given the very pleasant news that I had less than three months to live, and there was nothing that materia medica could do to save me. There was no known healing agency, no known cure for my trouble. As a matter of fact, in all the years that have passed since then, they still have no cure for that particular disease. In three months, though, I was completely healed, so completely healed that there has never been a sign or trace of the trouble in all the years since 1921! I have had many other healings of that nature through spirit, and I have also witnessed thousands of healings. Many minor claims, true, but some very major ones also, according to materia medica. I don't have to rehearse all that for most of you, because probably everyone here has had some similar experience, either with disease or with sin. I have told this before, I don't know whether in these talks or not, but certainly in classes, that in 1928, just as I was sitting with a practitioner, all of the smoking habit, drinking habit, and card playing habit disappeared. These were not great vices, but errors according to our spiritual way of living. All of these ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ipresent and the Only Power.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:09- 143K
Find Similar Documents