The Art of Spiritual Living: Chapter 11, Impersonalizing the Visible
- The hurt and harm they have done, whether to individuals or to nations, is so great that we would find it impossible of ourselves to be forgiving. Even if we could pay lip service and say that we forgive, in our hearts we know that it is not completely so. But again we have recourse to: "I can of mine own self do nothing." 1 I cannot forgive this experience, this person, or this event, but certainly I can pray that God forgive him. Even if I humanly do not have that capacity for forgiveness, at least I know enough to know that forgiveness is right and, therefore, let me pray: Father, forgive him, that he be not held in bondage to his offenses but that he be forgiven and that the spirit of Christ open his consciousness to truth, to reality, to the right. By impersonalizing good in every way, we make ourselves instruments or transparencies through which God can perform His functions. Once we have attained, even in a small measure, the ability to impersonalize good insofar as it concerns us, we then turn our ... TAPE RECORDED EXCERPTS Prepared by the Editor "Receptivity as Related to Givingness" "The question of receptivity comes up very often in this work: 'How can I become more receptive to God, to the Christ, to the spiritual influence?' The answer to that lies in increasing your givingness. Receptivity is attained only through giving. What you have to give is an individual matter with you. . . . "Receptivity is the secret of spiritual attainment and receptivity is attained through givingness. If we have a little change or more to give, let us share it where we will, but remember that the givingness of which we speak is not as material as it is spiritual. The real givingness must be forgiveness, benevolence, peace, goodwill toward men. This is the givingness: goodwill toward men, setting free, holding no one in condemnation. "Receptivity is the ability to perceive, to discern the spiritual good in man, the ability to discern the spiritual good that is embodied in ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Impersonalizing the Visible.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:37- 122K
Find Similar Documents
The Foundation of Mysticism: Chapter 9, Metaphysics and Mysticism - The Infinite Way Path
- ~ 9 ~ METAPHYSICS AND MYSTICISM: THE INFINITE WAY PATH Many of you who have been in class work with me know that at no time in my life did I dream of there being such a work as the message of the Infinite Way or that I would ever be connected in any way with a spiritual teaching. My work was in the business world, and while I was never interested in any organized religion, I did have that longing to know what made the wheels of truth go 'round, especially after I began traveling in Europe in 1909. There, for the first time, I was awakened to man's inhumanity to man: I was awakened to the fights, the discords, the inharmonies that take place, and to the dens of iniquity that existed. I didn't know they existed in the United States too, but I learned later we also had our own San Francisco and New Orleans, and these things puzzled me because there were so many religions that claimed there is a God. So it was, I turned my attention to learning more about God. My only purpose was to find out for myself what lies behind this world, so I asked why this thing called God, or man called God, or whatever this being is, wasn't doing something about the sins of the world, the wars, the discords, the causes of strife. I was only a youngster in New York when the first ladies' ready-to-wear strike took place where men and women were killed, beaten up, and injured in the name of business. I remember when the steel workers in Pennsylvania were striking for a dollar-and-a-half a day and the militia was called out to shoot them down. I wondered about these things. I was in London in 1909 when the German and English fleets were lined up against each other in the North Sea, the World War ready to start. It was man's inhumanity to man that brought me to the search for truth but with no other object or motive than to learn for myself why, if there truly were a God he would permit this inhumanity. Many years later, when my first religious experience took place, it brought with it the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ism - The Infinite Way Path.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:50- 136K
Find Similar Documents
The Heart of Mysticism: June 1957, The Secret of The Healing Principle
- CHAPTER SIX: JUNE The Secret of the Healing Principle SPIRITUAL healing is based on an understanding of the spiritual principle of life. This principle is that God maintains and sustains the universe, including every person in it, in absolute integrity. Contrary to that teaching is the world of appearances, the dreamworld, a mesmeric world which has no law to support it, no substance to sustain it, and no continuity except such as we, in our ignorance, give it. Once this truth is perceived, you will have a healing principle which will stand, regardless of the nature of the problems that are brought to you. This does not mean that you will heal everybody or every condition, not because the principle is not adequate to meet every situation, but because the people involved are not yet ready to live this principle or to live by this principle; they are not ready to give up those things which would interfere with the demonstration of the principle. In other words, Jesus, himself, did not attempt to take the rich man into heaven. It was not because of the man's wealth, in and of itself, but because the man's faith, confidence, and hope were in his wealth; all his expectations and hopes in life were based on the amount of his possessions, and such a man cannot be lifted into spiritual consciousness. So it is that there are people seeking healing, but seeking only the healing of their pains and discords, not a spiritual healing which would transform their lives. This principle is so absolute, however, that given a fair opportunity with anybody who is at all receptive to the spiritual way of life, harmony will be brought into the experience of that person, and he will come into spiritual enlightenment. The Fabric of "This World" The principle which is the secret of all healing is an understanding of the nature of error. Error is never a person; it is never a thing; it is never a condition. Therefore, never take into your thought, or attempt to handle in thought, a person, ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...et of The Healing Principle.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:04- 135K
Find Similar Documents
The Master Speaks: Chapter 12, God Consciousness
- ~ 12 ~ GOD CONSCIOUSNESS To know our true identity is to solve every problem of so-called human existence. Actually, we are not living a human existence. Our existence is spiritual and divine, but because we do not know our true identity, it has become filled with discord and inharmony. If I know that I am I, and that that I is infinite Being, there can never intrude a thought of lack, limitation, discord, inharmony, jealousy, malice, or lust. When I know that I am I, and that this I is the infinity, the allness of God's being made manifest, the Word made flesh, then only can I realize that I am Self-sustained and Self-maintained. Some day all of us will admit that I is Self-created: I, the very consciousness of my being, formed me before ever I was in the womb. I would not have been there at all if I, the divine consciousness of my being, had not been expressing Itself in just that way. I, the divine consciousness of my being, formed my body after its own image and likeness, as my vehicle of expression. I can no more be separated from my body than I can be separated from my life. My body is the form in which my life is appearing. My body is an expression of my identity. My parents did not create it. I created it. My consciousness created it and my consciousness is maintaining it now in its present form. If my consciousness were to change, my body would change. If my consciousness of supply were to change, my supply would change. Always, consciousness is forming its own body, its own image and likeness. My consciousness of home has made my home whatever it is. My consciousness of business, of a practice, of health, expresses as my home or business or practice, my health or my wealth. Those who understand this principle and who have seen some of the slums or ghettos of New York City will understand that only the state of consciousness of the people living in them created those ghettos. In the city of Chicago, where not too many years ago there were open plains, and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...apter 12, God Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:29- 127K
Find Similar Documents
The Master Speaks: Chapter 3, Seeing and Hearing
- ~ 3 ~ SEEING AND HEARING The same day went Jesus out of the house, and sat by the sea side. And great multitudes were gathered together unto him, so that he went into a ship, and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore. And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went fourth to sow; And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the wayside, and the fowls came and devoured them up: Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth: And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away. And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up and choked them: But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear. And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.1 Spiritual truth, when it is sown in the human mind, in the intellect, is not effective. A great many people with highly developed intellects, many physicists and physical scientists, believe that God is a necessary adjunct to a well-rounded life and that the practice of religion is desirable. Few have had an actual religious experience in which they have felt the presence and power of God. Most of these intellectuals do not have the spiritual awareness which would make God a demonstrable reality; they are convinced that God is a necessity, but they are not yet convinced of God. Truth, received through the intellect and remaining on the level ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...apter 3, Seeing and Hearing.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:26- 118K
Find Similar Documents
A Message for the Ages: Chapter 9, The Simplicity of the Healing Truth
- Chapter Nine The Simplicity of the Healing Truth The mystical approach to spiritual healing, as practiced in the Infinite Way, cannot be accomplished by anyone until the metaphysical principles of the Infinite Way are so much a part of him that they have become like his flesh and bones. In other words, the mystical consciousness is developed through the metaphysical aspects of the Infinite Way, because in it there are consistent specific principles which develop consciousness. The Infinite Way does not teach one day that a person's wrong thinking produced his troubles and then the next day teach that his wrong thinking is not the cause. The metaphysical principles of the Infinite Way are completely consistent and are based on the truth that God is infinite consciousness and that man and the universe are this Consciousness formed and expressed. You See Your Concept of a Thing or a Person Since God is incorporeal Spirit, man and the universe are incorporeal, and just as you have never seen God with your eyes, and never will, neither have you ever seen man or this universe with your eyes. With your physical sense of sight you have never seen a tree, nor have you ever seen flowers as they are in the consciousness of God. All that you see with your eyes is a finite concept of God's creation built on the universal belief in two powers. That is why you see concepts that are sometimes bad and sometimes good, sometimes young and sometimes old, sometimes sick and sometimes well, sometimes alive and sometimes dead. But these are not creations of God. These are creations of man; they are man-made concepts. When a student looks at me, he does not see me: he sees a concept he has formed in his mind of me. On the other hand, if I should ask my neighbor to describe me, that student would not recognize me because that is not the me he has formed in his mind. If it were possible to speak to my mother, it would still be a different concept of me. None of these has ever seen the real ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...licity of the Healing Truth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:34:57- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Conscious Union with God: Chapter 11, Seek the Answer Within
- ~ 11 ~ SEEK THE ANSWER WITHIN As you work and study and above all, as you meditate, you will find that the answers to most of the questions that may arise in your mind will be revealed to you in meditation. Entirely different from the knowledge gained through books is that which comes through unfoldment or revelation. A person to whom some spiritual truth has been revealed may be said to know that specific truth, at least as much as concerns that particular unfoldment, but when he attempts to tell anyone else about it, it lacks the authority of first-hand revelation, unless it is imparted by an illumined consciousness, in which case it carries conviction. It is possibly not too broad a statement to say that the majority of the people of the world know practically nothing about the meaning of such apparent intangibles as God, Christ, Truth, Light, or Grace. The little that can be found in dictionaries and reference books is for the most part merely a faint tracing of a tremendously deep subject. Let us assume that we know little or nothing about the Christ. We do know this much, however, that the Christ is not a man; we know that the Christ is not a historical figure. We know that the Christ was not born at a particular time, in a particular country, or of a particular religion. We know that "before Abraham was, I am." 1 Before Abraham, the Christ is. Even unto the end of the world, the Christ is. The Christ is not a person, but rather a presence. But if anyone tried to heal somebody by means of that explanation he would very likely fail because such knowledge of the Christ would be merely in the realm of the intellect. Too much of truth is intellectually known; too little has been realized, and that is the reason for so many failures in healing. Our metaphysical study has convinced many of us intellectually that this is a spiritual universe and that all physical structure-good or bad, healthful or sick-is but an illusory sense of the ever-present harmonious reality. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... 11, Seek the Answer Within.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:18- 138K
Find Similar Documents
I Stand on Holy Ground: Chapter 5, Nothing Takes Place Outside of Consciousness
- Chapter Five Nothing Takes Place Outside of Consciousness One of the most important principles of the Infinite Way is that God constitutes individual being. This means that God constitutes your being and mine. God manifests as our life, mind, spirit, and soul. Even our body is the temple of God. This is the spiritual truth about every one of us. God has given us dominion over "the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."1 God created us in His own image, giving us His life, soul, spirit, and intelligence and, in so doing, He gave us dominion over ignorance, superstition, and darkness. This dominion is our spiritual birthright and makes us a law unto our life's demonstration. All Error, a Mental Imposition We are human beings because we have forfeited our birthright of dominion and turned it over to what the Master called "this world." 2 At the very instant that the newspapers, radio, or television announces an impending epidemic, human beings open themselves to becoming victims of the epidemic. They permit it to become a part of their experience by means of mentally imposed suggestions from outside. It is not that anyone has maliciously started the rumor just to make them ill: it is in universal human consciousness, and it is thrust at all of us. Without knowing the underlying truth of being, we may passively accept it with a "Well, what can I do about it? I'm just a statistic. So if forty out of a hundred get it, I may be one of the forty." If we escape it, we consider ourselves lucky. Actually, we are responsible for being victimized by the mass hypnosis only because we do not know how to avoid it. We do not know what caused it or how to prevent it. The Presidential election of 1916 illustrates the effect of any kind of mass hysteria. The incumbent president was re-elected because he had kept the nation out of war, clear-cut evidence that the public did ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ce Outside of Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:36- 124K
Find Similar Documents
Living by Grace: Chapter 9, Freedom in God
- CHAPTER 9 FREEDOM IN GOD Some nations seek political freedom-freedom from dictators and concentration camps. Other nations seek freedom from religious bondage-from teachings that hold them in bondage and make them slaves of men rather than servants of God. Any nation that has gained political, economic, or religious freedom has had to fight hard to attain that freedom and must work even harder to retain it, because there are those who would take that freedom away. There is not one moment of the day when someone, somewhere, is not plotting to control the minds and bodies of individuals, to control nations and the world itself. Not all the enemies are in foreign countries; some can be found within a country itself. The freedom we seek is a spiritual freedom-a freedom in Christ, in God. It is not a freedom from anyone or some circumstance or some condition of lack, limitation, sin, or disease-although we may have started out seeking only that kind of freedom. Spiritual Freedom Spiritual freedom is a freedom attained in God. There is no such thing as freedom from anything or anyone. The longer we attempt to gain freedom from sin, disease, death, lack, or limitation, the more we are kept in bondage to such conditions. What we must seek is freedom in God, in Christ-a spiritual freedom. Originally, we were given spiritual freedom as a divine inheritance, but there was an experience in consciousness called "the fall of man" or the "prodigal experience" in which we set up a selfhood apart from God. We thereby lost our divine inheritance, and spiritual freedom is no longer something that is given to us. Now we must struggle to regain our spiritual freedom. We cannot regain it until we return to the state of consciousness we call oneness, unity, or union with God. Like the prodigal son, we must return to the Father's house. Our spiritual freedom is not gained through the efforts of others. The efforts of others can only instruct us and give us a little wisdom. Throughout the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/..._ Chapter 9, Freedom in God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:47- 90K
Find Similar Documents
Seek Ye First: Chapter 11, Access to the Kingdom of God
- ... Without any speaking, without any whispering, just by silently thinking, open consciousness. Because of the revelation of Jesus, this part is not difficult. You have his authority to back you up. It is the next part that presents difficulties, however, and with which you probably will have to contend within yourself until you reach the consciousness of it. That part has to do with the word is. It is a very angelic word, but for a long while you are going to call it a devil, because you will have difficulty with it. What does it mean? One thing it means is that God cannot do anything for you because God is already doing it, so there is nothing that God could begin today or tomorrow. It also means that you cannot bring God into the situation because God is already there where the situation appears to be. It means that you cannot attain harmony because the harmony of God is. The thing that occupies the mind and that you are expecting of God after your prayer or meditation already is. You cannot seek anything of God: you cannot seek forgiveness; you cannot seek supply; you cannot seek healing because of is. God is and God is from everlasting to everlasting. God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. God will be with you unto the end of the world. All is embodied in the word is. Then why are we going to God? Just for God's impartation of Himself, for the recognition of is, the recognition of as, letting the impartation come which, when it comes, never says, "I will do something for you." It says, "I am with you. I always have been with you; I always will be with you." There is no such thing as the past; there is no such things as the future: all is is. What about the particular sin, disease, death, lack, or limitation that confronts you? It confronts you only as an appearance or ignorance of is. In your realization of is, the picture begins to fade; the illusory appearance dies out. The law of God is functioning; the life of God is being. The law of God and the life ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ccess to the Kingdom of God.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:11- 121K
Find Similar Documents