Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 12, Prayer & Receptivity
- ~ 12 ~ PRAYER AND RECEPTIVITY NOW, THE KIND OF TREATMENT we have been talking about is legitimate, only do not stop there; do not let anybody on this path stop there because you haven't yet prayed! All you have done is give yourself a treatment. All you have done is to mentally reassure yourself that the appearances aren't real, but you haven't yet felt the Christ. And what we are interested in is Christ-healing. What we are interested in is the actual Father within-the Christ that liveth in me-the actual awareness of the presence and power of God, dispelling the illusion of sense. We are not satisfied with anything less than that! Therefore, if you give yourself a treatment-again I repeat: never give a treatment to a patient or to a condition-give yourself a treatment to refute the appearance or the person. Then sit there in the silence with that ear of expectancy and let the answer come. Many times it will not be necessary for some of you to go that far; most of the time you will not find it necessary to use that argument. You can take a step higher than that. That step is, when a claim of any kind presents itself to you, whether your own or someone else's, you can take the attitude of sitting down and finding the center of your own being. How you do that, of course, is something else again. I can't give you a process. You may take the word God or Christ or truth, and keep it in your thought and always bring your thought back to that, keeping it up until that awareness comes. That is even higher than using the argument, and you can do it if you are keeping yourself in a spiritual condition. Don't think you can do it if you are coming down continuously to this mortal level of living and indulging all this sense business with horrible movies and disgraceful novels and all that kind of stuff that the rabble fills time and mind with. Don't think you can give part of your time to that and at the same time be in a state of spiritual consciousness where you won't need ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...er 12, Prayer & Receptivity.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:21- 121K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 16, Illumined Consciousness
- ~ 16 ~ ILLUMINED CONSCIOUSNESS AGAIN WE HAVE A TERM like Christ-consciousness, or illumined consciousness. Sometimes we wonder, "What is that thing, Christ consciousness? What is illumined consciousness?" The consciousness that thinks of God as something separate and apart from its own being, the consciousness that has not received some training or teaching along a metaphysical line, is a very much unillumined consciousness. Let us say that is your consciousness or my consciousness before we receive any spiritual or metaphysical teaching. And now let us say that for a year or two or three we study with any of the schools of metaphysical thought. By that time we have learned of God as the reality of being, we've taken God out of the skies and identified him with us. In our unillumined state of consciousness, we thought of Jesus as Christ, but now, through illumination, we understand Christ as the spirit-of God, of the man Jesus, and of you and of me. For Jesus said that before Abraham was, he is, and that the Christ will be with you until the end of the world. So the Christ is a possibility for us. Perhaps we have learned in the first or second or third year of metaphysical study that prayer isn't asking God to give us sunny weather on the day we want to go picnicking and it isn't asking God to take away our sins or our diseases. Perhaps we have learned enough to know that prayer is an inner realization of our present spiritual perfection. By that time we have become an illumined consciousness up to that point; we are at least some degree of illumined consciousness. Now, we come to this point where we learn to take into our consciousness any word or term on which we are seeking light or knowledge. We have learned now that we don't have to go to a teacher, we don't have to go to a church. All that we have to do now is to take that word or term or idea into our own consciousness and there, in a state of expectancy, wait for the light to shine on it and reveal its ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...16, Illumined Consciousness.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:22- 120K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Unfolding: Chapter 12, Questions & Answers
- ... Some scholars do not believe that Jesus ever gave the Lord's Prayer to the world, while others believe that he did. The main reason for this doubt is that the Lord's Prayer is not in keeping, apparently, with the Master's teaching. The Master did not teach that it would do us any good to ask God for any such thing as daily bread. He taught: "Your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him 3 . . . [and it is his] good pleasure to give you the kingdom." 4 One Bible authority claims that when the translators came to that part of the New Testament where the disciple said: "Teach us to pray," 5 the Master did not reply. Scholars believe that something was lost, and then when they found the page on which what is called the Lord's Prayer was written, they inserted it in that place. Regardless of whether or not the Master did give us the Lord's Prayer, do not forget that in it there are laws just as there are in all of his teachings. In other places as well as in the Lord's Prayer, he taught the law of forgiveness, and through that law, we "forgive our debtors," 6 for in proportion as we are able to "loose him, and let him go," 7 does our own consciousness become free. If parts of the Lord's Prayer-or all of it-have meaning for you, it does not matter whether or not it was a part of Jesus' actual words. Whatever is true, is true regardless of its source. We can get good wherever we find it. Personally, I find much wisdom in that particular passage: "Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors." 8 Question: Should a practitioner assume responsibility for a case? Answer: Our attitude should be the same with a human being as it would be with a dog, a cat, or a crop. The truth we know should be outwardly manifested in healing, whatever the condition may be. However, just because we accept the responsibility does not mean that we shall always be able to bring out the healing. A human being differs from plants, crops, or animals because a human being has the ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 12, Questions & Answers.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:31- 175K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 4, Thought Is Not Power
- ~ 4 ~ THOUGHT IS NOT POWER IT POPPED INTO MY HEAD ONE DAY that thought is not a power, it is an avenue of awareness. It shocked me for a moment, having it come out of a clear sky when I was not asking for it. Then I saw that I, through the avenue of thought, can become aware of people in this room and know whether they are dressed in brown or green or black, but no amount of thinking I do can make it so. Not my thought and not all the thought in this room will change that which is in this room. Therefore, thought, to me, becomes an avenue of awareness. Through thought I have become aware of the great truth that you are the Christ of God. That is what you are and have been since time began. It just took me a long time to find it out-and others are still finding it out. But it was always true, since, "Before Abraham was I am," and nobody's thinking did it. It just is so, as a law of God; and, "Lo, I will be with you always . . ." 1 even unto the end of this human belief of things. Certainly I will, and that is the Christ, the mind that was in Christ Jesus, the soul or spirit of God. If we took all the practitioners out of business today, it should make no difference to a person who has been on this path for any length of time. Our great sin is when we have patients or students for a year or two who still have not learned that God is their infinite, individual, invisible, eternal life, when we have not made it sufficiently clear that the body is the temple of the living God. With a year of this kind of instruction, a body should be reflecting it. The minute you begin to know that the mind that was in Christ Jesus is your mind, from that moment on it is doing something to your body, your business, your income, your human relationships and family relationships. It may seem slow in the beginning, unless you have a tremendous light such as Saul had when he became Paul. In that case it might be quick, but even there, it was nine years after Saul had that experience before ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ter 4, Thought Is Not Power.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:19- 104K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Discernment: Chapter 1, Peeling Off the Onion Skins
- Chapter One Peeling Off the Onion Skins In the history of the world, it is recorded that those who received the greatest light were those who were in deepest need of spiritual light and who had to search more seriously and diligently than the persons who were getting along comfortably without God. It takes desperation of one sort or another to drive us deep enough into the heart of God to find God. As a rule, it is only when human companionship has not sufficed, when human supply has not given us enough happiness, satisfaction, or completeness, and when even human health has not made us relax in an inner peace that we ask, "Lord, Lord, where art Thou?" Then it is that we begin the search for truth. Then it is that we try to find out if there is not a God, if there is not a Something somewhere that would bring to us what we are seeking. And what are we seeking? Most of all, peace. If we had peace, we would not be disturbed by physical, mental, or financial discomfort. But we have not found peace. We think that we can find peace if we have enough education, a good job, or a happy marriage, but even if we do enjoy financial comfort, good family relationships, and all other desirable human things, very often there is still something else that we have not achieved, and out of that hunger comes the search. As far as Joel Goldsmith was concerned, he was a businessman, and he was not doing too badly in the business world except for some momentary periods that everyone sooner or later has in business. There was no idea in his mind that he would at any time ever be connected with a religious, philosophical, or metaphysical work. That was no part of his consciousness. At best, it can be said that he had that hunger to find something more satisfying than a highball, a game of cards, a theater, a dance, or even a successful business, and that he was trying to find something better than those things. Most of us come to the grace of God through our ills and our discords. I was ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Peeling Off the Onion Skins.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:13- 121K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Power of Truth: Chapter 11, Joint Heir
- CHAPTER 11 "Joint Heir" THERE IS nothing quite as practical as the spiritual or mystical life, although the world has not yet completely awakened to this truth. There are tens of thousands, probably hundreds of thousands, now in the world who have actually experienced that the spiritual life is the most practical way of living-from every practical standpoint. You can imagine my joy at learning that an auto sales-managers' clinic was held at Michigan State University and that the professor conducting the clinic recommended The Contemplative Life as a textbook for automobile salesmen. This is really a recognition of the practicality of the spiritual life. I don't mind telling you that I live with The Contemplative Life morning, noon, and night; and sometimes I get up in the middle of the night to be sure that I haven't overlooked something in it. I haven't, though, discovered anything about selling automobiles -at least not directly. So it is in our work, in the business world and the professional world, in our activities with corporations, in their labor-relations problems, in the experience of students in their own business or professional lives: we have discovered and proven that there is nothing as practical as this spiritual life. If you would prove this for yourself, then be sure that you know what the principle is that you are trying to prove. Be sure that you know what it is that makes this the most practical way of life. Our work is based, first of all, on the unfoldment given to me that God constitutes our individual being. God is the life of us, God is the mind of us, God is the soul of us. Eventually we discover that even our body is the temple of God. In the unfolding of this there came a revelation, let's say. It was such at the time, and it has proven to be a very important one-namely, that the word consciousness contains the entire secret of life. Certainly, it contains the secret of life as we live it in The Infinite Way. However, I am sure you will ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...uth_ Chapter 11, Joint Heir.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:22- 101K
Find Similar Documents
The Only Freedom: Chapter 10, Surrendering the Human Sense of Health Supply and Peace
- A Chapter Ten Surrendering the Human Sense of Health, Supply, and Peace lthough those of us on the spiritual path are to some extent the same persons we were when we first came to the study of spiritual wisdom, in some ways we have changed. We are now in a state of consciousness where we do not enjoy the same things we did before, nor are we understood by some members of our family and friends. As time goes on, this breach may widen until some members of our family become totally separated from us, and most of our friends will have gone their way. When that time comes, we either have no friends or we have made new friends on the spiritual path. When we are trying to live out from spiritual consciousness, we no longer see eye to eye with those deeply engrossed in material consciousness. They cannot understand us, and we cannot understand them. For example, at the first sign of a sniffle, some member of our family may say, "Oh, have you taken an aspirin?" Immediately, our inner response would be, "Now, what power would that have?" We forget that perhaps only a few months ago such appearances would have been all-power and fear might have arisen. Now we think, "I know those things are effect. How can one effect touch another effect? I have access to the source." How ridiculous that must sound to those who still believe that God is all wrapped up in an aspirin tablet! In the same way, many of the things of this world that formerly troubled us, no longer bother us. Many of the things which we feared, we no longer fear. Many of the things which we enjoyed, we no longer enjoy. Discord, Not God-Created We came to a metaphysical teaching of one school or another with a specific problem, and we learned a very strange thing. We learned that we had to deny that we had it. In other words, here we were very sick and in pain, and we were told, "Oh, but you must deny that. You do not have it." It seemed ridiculous at first, but after a while we came to understand what our friends ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... of Health Supply and Peace.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:37:35- 116K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 18, Mysticism
- ... I believe that since life is eternal, we have always lived and since we have always lived, we must have lived in or out of some particular state of consciousness and therefore some are very, very much further developed than others. If you, this moment, were to pass on, you would not find yourself having to go through all the things you have had to go through until you came to this spiritual awareness. You would very nearly start off where you are this minute as a spiritually developed soul-or very close to it-in some cases, further ahead even because in some cases the act of transition is a freeing one. Now, there isn't enough clinical proof for anyone to make a definite statement that he knows why one person gets healed quickly and another one doesn't. That is not our particular problem at this moment. Our particular problem is this: the development of the practitioner to that point where he neither fears, hates nor loves error; his development of some measure of Christ-consciousness which means divine love, universal love, a sense of forgiveness, a sense of gratitude, a sense of human affection. Don't forget that the command of the Master was, "Love thy neighbor." 9 It was not only love God but your neighbor too. You have to love your neighbor as yourself. He gave those two great Commandments. He was most clear that what you had to do was love God and love your neighbor. You know, we get so absolute about our love for God sometimes that we just forget our neighbor. But we don't want to do that in this work. We want to take the full measure of the Christ. We want to love God with all our heart and with all our soul but we want to love our neighbor, too. And we want to show forth that love in compassion, in patience, in justice, in kindness, in forbearance, in joy-in willingness to share all of the good that God has given us. Above all we want to give up our egotistic belief that we have personal powers as practitioners. Our healings will be in proportion as we ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...tion_ Chapter 18, Mysticism.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:22- 158K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Power of Truth: Chapter 3, Neither Good nor Evil
- CHAPTER 3 Neither Good nor Evil EDEN REPRESENTS our spiritual domain. Now what threw us out of that? What threw us out into what the Master called this world? It is just as plain as anyone can read. The knowledge of good and evil: that's what did it. Now as we approach our healing work, we have no knowledge of good and evil. We have no knowledge of evil to be removed or risen above. Because so much of humanhood remains in us, we still recognize that we have before us the appearance of good and evil-the appearance of sin, disease, death, lack, and limitation. As long as we are faced with that, we can't be absolute and just say, "Oh, God is All; there is no error." You can't do that. You have to sit down and let God say it to you. He uttereth His Voice and the earth melteth. When you hear the still, small V oice, or when you feel that Stirring within you, that divine Presence within you, you may be assured of this: whatever appearance of sin, disease, death, lack, or limitation is before you will melt away. Don't think for a minute that you can ever be so smart as to bring it about. Never believe that because you could go out of here and say, "Oh, there is neither good nor evil," it would work miracles in your life. You must begin; and remember how Jesus said to pray: sacredly and silently. And I hope you are not going to be enough of a show-off to go out and tell this to anybody. If you do, you are only doing it to show off; you have no good motive. The only pure motive is to live spiritually and be a blessing to your fellow man, and you'll never do that by going out and telling this to anyone. You have got to live with this for a year until you demonstrate it. You've got to live with this and prove it within yourself, until it becomes so self-evident that the world sees it in you. Now remember, if you are ever tempted to tell this to anyone, you are just trying to be a show-off, and you're going to lose what you got. You're going to lose the possibility of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...er 3, Neither Good nor Evil.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:21- 104K
Find Similar Documents
The Art of Spiritual Living: Chapter 12, Christ Ascended
- ... But that son of God is incarnated in me, in you, and in every "you" throughout this globe: the pagan, the atheist, the agnostic, the Christian, the Buddhist, the Vedantist. It makes no difference what his beliefs are. God is spirit, indivisible, inseparable from Himself, and therefore omnipresent in you, in every you. Forgiveness of Sin, a Function of the Christ By observing the ministry of Jesus Christ, who so completely showed forth his divine sonship, and which he said was within us, we can understand the function of the Christ, one of which is the forgiving of sin. For each of us, this is important. In our human experience we have sinned greatly, and because most of our sins were committed ignorantly, we need not rehearse or rehash them. Let us acknowledge, however, that as human beings we have strayed far from our Father's house, our Father's standard of conduct, and our Father's teaching. With this acknowledgment we are showing sufficient humility to take the next step and say, "Thank You, Father, that Your son, the Christ, the spirit of God in me, is here to forgive my sins. I carry within me my mediator, my meditation. I carry within my own consciousness the incarnated son of God whose function it is, when I ask for forgiveness, to give it." Lip service will not suffice. This must be a once and for all confession: "Father, forgive me, I have not known what I have done. But now I know that Your son is incarnate within me, and one of Its functions is to forgive me my sins." Then the injunction is to go and sin no more and to watch each day that, to the highest extent possible, we do not violate the laws that we have come to know. Even so there will be more violations, but forgiveness "seventy times seven" 5 is still awaiting us. Our responsibility is to try our best to live up to whatever spiritual law we may now learn, and if we know that the Christ is not something in time or space, we have made a real beginning. Healing as an Activity of the Christ ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Chapter 12, Christ Ascended.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:37- 122K
Find Similar Documents