Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: Cleansing the Temple
- CLEANSING THE TEMPLE WHEN YOU COME TO THE CHRIST, come with a sincere desire to be cleansed within. You are not merely coming to a teaching from which you except to receive more or better human conditions. You are not merely seeking to have your human existence made easier, healthier or even a bit longer - but you really are asking to be lifted entirely above the human level of life to an awareness and demonstration of Life eternal - the spiritual consciousness of Life and its harmonies. Do not then hold on to the personal sense of good that has so long obstructed your vision of the Christ. Be willing; be prepared for the Christ to dispel all personal sense - even that which is humanly good. To come to the Christ - to put on the Robe of Christ, and yet consciously insist on holding to greed, hate, envy, lust, bigotry, jealousy and ingratitude - is to invite disaster. When you open your thought to the Christ with honesty, the divine Presence will dispel all erroneous traits and characteristics, and will reveal you as the perfect spiritual Temple. If you cling to certain errors while inviting the entrance of the Christ into the Temple of your being, you set up a warfare between the Spirit and the flesh - between the Soul and material sense - and this warfare may wreck the Temple of your being, your body, at least temporarily. Come to this search for Truth with spiritual integrity. Your present sins, faults and limitations are not to be feared. They will disappear as you surrender the personal or material sense of existence for the spiritual consciousness of Life. The Metaphysical Dictionary says, "Solomon's Temple is a symbol of the regenerated body of man, which, when he attains it, he will never again leave. This enduring Temple is built in the understanding of Spirit as the one and only cause of all things." When you realize God, Soul or Spirit as the only causative Principle, you likewise understand that all that exists is of that eternal substance and is ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...pture_ Cleansing the Temple.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:16- 71K
Find Similar Documents
The Altitude Of Prayer: Chapter 11, Individuality Revealed Through Prayer
- ~ 11 ~ INDIVIDUALITY REVEALED THROUGH PRAYER THE PURPOSE OF PRAYER is to bring the Spirit to our individual experience, so that this parenthesis * may be permeated with the Spirit and the fourth-dimensional substance called the Christ may come into activity. This is a transcendental Presence, a Substance, Essence, Activity, or Reality which can never be seen, heard, tasted, touched, or smelled. It is so real that It can whisper in our ear, "Do not drive up this street: drive up that one." It can prevent us from making an investment or lead us to a bookshelf where we might find the one book that can meet our need for us at a particular time. It can even go before us so that our banker makes the loan that he refused to make the day before. It is an unseen spiritual Influence, and the person who is illumined has contact with Its essence. Two words for illumination used in the Orient are "satori" and "darshan." Christian mysticism has a word for us, too, a beautiful word: Grace. "My grace is sufficient for thee," 1 "My" meaning the invisible spiritual Center or Source. We live by Grace; we can do all things through the grace of God. The transcendental Presence must become a living experience, permeating our consciousness, flowing through us to the extent that the fingers tingle with It, and the toes. It is a reality, even though the human mind cannot understand It, the human eyes cannot see It, and the human ears cannot hear It. It is so real that when It happens we know It, and there are no questions. When anyone asks the question, "How may I know if this is real?" he has not yet experienced It. When a person does, It is unmistakable, not only in Its manner of expression, but in the fruitage. When a person is touched by the transcendental Presence, something in his life will be better: his health, supply, morals, home, family relationships, or business. The more he contacts It, the more his life will be an outer expression of an inner Divinity. CREATION UNFOLDING This ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ity Revealed Through Prayer.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:27- 122K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: February 3, 1963, As Ye Sow
- AS YE SOW February 3, 1963 The Halekulani Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii A QUESTION COMES TO MY MIND this week which is, "How many of our students are reading or studying the writings objectively?" How many still read them with a measure of emotion or sentiment? A letter came to me this week from one of our students. It describes a nice and respectable family that engages in orthodox religious worship, but very good. A terrible tragedy has struck that family and the question is asked, "How can such a thing happen to such a nice family?" Is there any one of our students who does not know what the answer is? If you are in any doubt as to the answer to that question then you are not studying objectively because there isn't a book or a tape or a Letter that does not have the answer to it. If there is anything we know and know that we know, it is the reason for error. That we know. If we don't know anything else, we do know that-and if there are any in doubt on that subject, they are not seriously studying the message. They are reading it but not reading it objectively. Even the most casual reading reveals the "natural" man is not under the law of God and indeed cannot be. As long as he remains the creature-the natural man-he is neither under the law of God nor protected by God nor maintained or sustained by God. This really is the entire history of the human race and accounts for some becoming dictators while others become the lambs led to the slaughter. As you read in history of the rise to power of Mussolini or Hitler, you will soon see there was no God on earth to protect the people on earth-no God to intercede for them. In the same way, if you read the earlier history of the United States and the coming to power of some of our so-called big corporations, robbing, cheating, defrauding, you would soon ask, "Where was God in all this?" So if we have given you nothing else, we have certainly given you the reason why iniquities and injustices exist on earth. We have also ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...February 3, 1963, As Ye Sow.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:10- 99K
Find Similar Documents
Leave Your Nets: Chapter 13, The Inner Vision
- ~ 13 ~ THE INNER VISION You have come to that point in consciousness where you are seeking for what the world calls the intangible. When you came to a spiritual teaching, you knew in advance, or soon learned, that you were going to obtain nothing in the external realm. What you were seeking was the invisible, that which cannot be seen, heard, or known. And yet you were seeking to be able to see, hear, and know just that. Through that seeking, you are coming to know that which is unknowable, see that which is invisible, hear that which is inaudible. And on this nothing you now live. He "hangeth the earth upon nothing" 1 -nothing that you will ever see, hear, taste, touch, or smell. But of this, I am sure, if you are persistent and faithful, the day will come when you will feel it, see it, hear it, and know it, even though there is no it to see, hear, feel, and know. What was it that separated the followers of the Master from all other Hebrews? Only that those who were not Jesus' followers could not see, hear, taste, touch, or smell what it was that the disciples and the Hebrew Christians had accepted as the truth. It was foolishness to them, nothing but foolishness! How can anyone follow something that nobody knows anything about? And then these followers of the Master would smile, "Not know anything about it? We know all about it!" "Well, what is it? Where is it? Let me see it. Let me touch it." "No, it is a glint in the eye." "Ah, now! That is foolishness! That is foolishness!" And yet, that was the truth. These people saw something in the Master; they felt something in their association with him that satisfied, so that they, too, could say, "Ah, we do not live by bread alone. We are receiving an inner grace, an inner meat, wine, and water." They knew what the Master meant when he told them, "Take, eat; this is my body." 2 They knew what the others could never understand. It has been said that when a person of spiritual vision went into the darkened room where ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter 13, The Inner Vision.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:42- 96K
Find Similar Documents
Showing Forth the Presence of God: Chapter 2, Freedom by Grace
- Chapter Two Freedom By Grace Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. Matthew 4:4 In our human experience, we live primarily by our own efforts, by virtue of air, food, water, and investments. We live by all the things of the outer world. Almost from the beginning of time, it has been known that while this materialistic way of life may result in the attaining of the things we seek, it seldom brings real satisfaction after they have been attained. Although living in the world with a total reliance on the things of the outer world does sometimes result in the attainment of what we may have been seeking, it usually leaves us frustrated because we have neither become complete in ourselves, nor have we attained an inner satisfaction or a sense of rightness. Material Progress Does Not Necessarily Conflict With Spiritual Values For this very reason, throughout all time there have been those few persons devoted to something higher than material accomplishments. Referring to the material good of this world, however, as "just material accomplishments" is not meant to place it in the category of the unnecessary or the evil. Let us not make the mistake of believing that there is no value in these great accomplishments on the material level, because that is nonsensical. The world is better off than in any previous generation, because of the invention, science, discovery, exploration, mining, and research that have been going on for years. We need not decry these material advances. The tragedy is that our moral and spiritual development has not kept pace with our material achievements. I realize that too often we hear discussions and read articles or books giving the impression that materialism is some kind of an evil, that the development, as well as the conservation, of our natural resources, and the discoveries of the many conveniences which we enjoy today in some way are wrong. To take such an attitude is to revert in a ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Chapter 2, Freedom by Grace.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:11- 127K
Find Similar Documents
The GIft of Love: Chapter 11, Be a Transparency for Love
- As we realize more and more that our function in our household is to be the instrument through which God is to find entrance, we purge our consciousness of its human qualities; we learn to forgive injustices quickly and to forget offenses, realizing that God neither judges nor condemns, and that neither must we. God's forgiveness is seventy times unto seven and so must ours be. Not only must we express love, patience, kindness, justice, cooperation, and generosity in our home, but we must love ... Because God cannot be limited in time or space, or by walls, the realized presence of God in this room is flowing out of this room, up and down the street, up and down the nation, and across the waters. I am an instrument and a transparency through which God's love blesses mankind-friend and foe. My consciousness does not condemn the sinner; my consciousness does not seek vengeance, but forgiveness. Through my consciousness of love, God enters my home, my business, my nation, and this whole ... But if God's love is not entering through the window of our consciousness, it is because our consciousness is soiled, soiled with the only kind of dirt that can soil it, a dirt that is spelled s-e-l-f, I, me, and mine. When we begin to cleanse our consciousness, when we begin to realize less and less of self, and more and more of love, more and more of forgiveness, more and more of praise, glory, and gratitude, more and more of a willingness for God to touch the consciousness of the sinner, the ... Let us do each day the task that is given us to do, regardless of how mundane it may appear to be; and if we fulfill that which is given us to do now, we shall find that more important things, and eventually what appear to be more spiritual things, will be given us to do-but not until we have done that which has already been given us to do. Our first and foremost task is to fill our consciousness with love, forgiveness, gratitude, praise, loyalty, and devotion, not only to God but to our ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Be a Transparency for Love.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:55- 94K
Find Similar Documents
1954 Infinite Way Letters: Chapter 2, Life of the Soul
- ~ 2 ~ LIFE OF THE SOUL There are two foundations upon which to build a House of Life; rock or sand. The house built upon rock is sturdy and enduring: a fortress, a refuge, a haven of peace. The "rock" is the constant recognition of the Presence of God, and this recognition is attained through the faculty known as Soul. The house built upon sand is always in danger of collapse. Living out from the level of the material senses, which shift and change as often as do the sands, is to live in constant peril of having the whole structure crumble about us. Living out from the level of the human mind, which is nothing more nor less than a state of hypnotism, is the source of anguish, repetition and failure. There is only one Mind, Divine Mind, infinitely manifest, but those who are ignorant of this try to limit the Mind within the mesmeric boundaries of the five physical senses. The human mind, which can only think in terms of good and evil, beginnings and endings, is the sandy foundation, the false premise. Those who seek solely in the outer senses are continually in a turmoil of unhappiness, restlessness and indecision. The mind must seek ever more and ever different plots, jingles and jangles, which quickly become stale and frustrating. It is living at this level of mind which compels them to force the creation and stimulation of pleasure, satisfaction and supply, and because these are always artificial, they are not lasting or real, and must be repeated again and again, until they no longer satisfy or profit. Living at the level of the mind, there must be a continuous round of new pleasures, new faces and scenes. There is never a truly joyous moment, nor are there periods of rest, relaxation, satisfaction or completeness. Until one reviews all this in his thought and realizes the continuous mental effort and strife there has been to attain a peace and satisfaction that has never come, one cannot change from the merry-go-round of the mind to the joyous realm of the Soul. ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Chapter 2, Life of the Soul.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:34:53- 82K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 8, Ordination
- ~ 8 ~ ORDINATION I AM GOING TO READ SOME NOTES that I made last night. No, I guess it was this morning; they began about three thirty and ended at five. You took last night's lesson on "error and its nature" so beautifully that tonight I feel that I can give you your freedom; I can give you your freedom from what Jesus called "the world" or "this world." If you can receive this freedom tonight, it will be your holiest night on earth. I give you two statements from the Master: "My kingdom is not of this world," 1 and, "I have overcome the world." 2 In the history of the world, only three men are known to have discovered the complete secret of life of their own accord. These men are Lao-Tzu of China, about 600 B.C.; Buddha of India, about 550 B.C.; and Jesus of Nazareth. Through Jesus, the full revelation came to the beloved disciple John on the Isle of Patmos. Through Jesus, I received it in an unfoldment, first from the statement in the Bible, "My kingdom is not of this world." "My kingdom is not of this world" became the subject of my meditation for many months. I did not choose it, it clung to me. Then, "I have overcome the world." Finally came the realization of the meaning of these statements. I have never known this to be taught since it was received by John, except in his own veiled writing. If you can receive it tonight, God has indeed blessed you beyond all living men and women. Friends, to overcome the world means to overcome or rise above all sense of desire; to be free of world attraction; to achieve being in the world but not of it; to attain freedom from bondage to personal ego; to understand the spiritual world and thus gain freedom from the false sense of God's universe. As we humanly see this world, we are seeing God's heaven, but seeing it "through a glass darkly." To overcome this world means to rise above the human, finite, erroneous sense of this world, and see it as it is. John told us, you remember, that in that day we will see him as he is and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...tion_ Chapter 8, Ordination.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:20- 95K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: August 5, 1963, The Nature of Spiritual Prayer
- THE NATURE OF SPIRITUAL PRAYER August 5, 1963 Honolulu Infinite Way Center GOOD EVENING. In an age like the present one, which seems dedicated to destroying the value of the individual and turning him into a mass, a herd, a horde, and making the individual a nonentity, ours are activities dedicated wholly to revealing the identity and the dignity and the magnitude of the individual. The Infinite Way is one of these activities and has for its basis: "I and my Father are one 1 . . . The place whereon I stand is holy ground." 2 There are other activities which are beginning to assert the value and the dignity of the individual, but The Infinite Way is approaching the subject from the religious standpoint-not from the standpoint of a religion, but from the standpoint of religion itself. The knowledge of God reveals the infinite nature of individual man. Since "I and my Father are one . . . He that seeth me seeth him that sent me." 3 That is how sacred the individual is. He is the showing forth of God; he is that place in consciousness where God shines through. This late in the 20th century, only mass hypnotism could hide from the world the tremendous scope of the life and the activity of Lao-Tzu of China, yet there are many people in the world who are aware of the fact that Lao-Tzu gave the world one of its great spiritual teachings. Likewise, there are few in the world who do not know the Buddha, and hundreds of millions throughout the world live by the words of the Buddha, and hundreds of millions live by the words of the Christ. Christ Jesus was only one Hebrew rabbi among many, yet he was remembered and revered because of his recognition of his individual Selfhood and of the power that conferred upon him. "My words shall not pass away," 4 not the words of the whole synagogue and not the words of the Roman emperors, but "my words"-the words of a simple Hebrew rabbi walking up and down the Holy Land. When we think of electric lights, phonographs, and moving pictures ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Nature of Spiritual Prayer.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:08- 100K
Find Similar Documents
Living Between Two Worlds: Chapter 6, Making The Transition From Personal Sense To Spiritual Being
- ~ 6 ~ MAKING THE TRANSITION FROM PERSONAL SENSE TO SPIRITUAL BEING IN THE WORLD OF "THE NATURAL MAN,"1 the human being who is not under the law of God, there is the personal sense of "I" which constitutes humanhood. You call me Joel, but I call myself "I." The "I" that I call Joel claims to have a mind of his own that forms opinions and concepts based on background, family, race, religion, politics, and education. Because of this human "I," Joel does not see or hear correctly. As a result the human sense of "I" looks out at you and, instead of knowing you as you are, immediately forms concepts, opinions, and judgments of you. If I were to tell you what my concept of you is, you would say, "Oh, that's not I. You don't know me. I am not like that at all." If I could talk to the politicians I do not like and tell them how I see them, they would also say, "I'm not like that at all. My own mother would disown me if I were like that." Yet that is how I see them. You do exactly the same thing in your humanhood as you look out at your friends, your relatives, or your enemies. You are forming concepts and opinions of them, believing that they are like that. And they are not that way at all. To each of you, a time must come when you set aside your views, opinions, and concepts, and turn within to let the Spirit bear witness with your spirit. As long as you judge by appearances, as long as you see and believe in good and evil, you are not under the law of God. Surprising as that may sound, you may as well accept it. SPIRITUAL BEING FORMS NO JUDGMENTS When you make the transition to the man who lives "by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God,"2 you form no judgments, but rather create a vacuum within yourself, resulting in an attitude of listening so that divine judgment can be rendered. Then you will discover that you never hear or see good or evil, but rather that the man and the universe of God's creating are revealed to you, and you see the people about whom ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...al Sense To Spiritual Being.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:44- 112K
Find Similar Documents