The Early Years: Chapter 17, Letter and Spirit of Truth
- ~ 17 ~ LETTER AND SPIRIT OF TRUTH The world is always presenting to us pictures of sin, disease, discord, lack, and limitation. Ignorance of the truth of being causes us to accept these pictures at face value, instead of translating them back into terms of God's actual creation. Only the study of truth reveals that these pictures are but false concepts of reality; that underlying these false views of life, there is the universe of God's creating. We know now that it is sacrilegious to claim that there is a God, an infinite power, and that there is discord too. It just does not make sense. Either there is God, infinite and eternal, universal and impartial, and therefore only perfection; or there is no God, and chaos, confusion, and lack of control are actualities. Assuming God, one must be logical and assume a universe intelligently and lovingly and harmoniously governed, controlled, maintained, and sustained. Then where do these pictures and evidences of discord come from? They emanate from thousands of years of accumulated beliefs in a selfhood apart from God. These beliefs constitute a state of deception or mesmerism through which we see and experience that which has no actual or externalized existence, namely an illusion. A hypnotized person may be made to chase a dog-a non-existent dog- but one which in the mesmerized state seems real. We can never remove the dog from the scene because he isn't there. But when we can convey to the hypnotized man that the dog exists only as illusion, he awakens from his dream. In the degree that you and I see that all corporeal existence (even so-called healthy corporeal existence) is but an illusion of human or mesmeric sense, we too awaken from the beliefs in a selfhood apart from God. God is your life, your mind, your being, the substance of your body, and therefore, you are actually entirely spiritual. All that appears as material is the illusion or false sense of self, produced by the age-old and universal aggregation of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Letter and Spirit of Truth.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:45- 86K
Find Similar Documents
Collected Essays of Joel Goldsmith: The Real Teacher
- The Real Teacher THE HUMAN MIND is not a teacher. It is not capable of teaching because it cannot convey Truth, since the Truth is not in it. The impartation of Truth from one individual to another is not the activity of the human mind. Some of the teaching in the field of metaphysics is nothing more than the transference of intellectually perceived truths from one so-called mind to another, because they who teach have not themselves advanced far enough in the understanding of Spirit and its activities. This accounts for the fewness of the students that are capable of healing. When Truth is properly taught, the student heals at once. Divine Mind is the only Teacher, as the impartation of Truth is the activity of divine Mind. This action embodies the power of the Christ. Christ Jesus' teaching so imbued his disciples with the spirit of Love that they healed through the power of their own consciousness. It was healing without effort, or Christ healing. This same healing gift is being bestowed on individuals today by the teachers who are living in the understanding of the Christ consciousness. However, it necessitates living the Christ. These teachers have forsaken ambition and have lost any desire they may have had to occupy positions of high temporal power. They have lost the personal sense of selfhood and have gained the impersonal Christ. This reveals the true nature of teaching. Through no personal effort, or intellectuality, contact with them results in an uplifted state of consciousness in which Truth reveals itself to the student. From the "Mind which was also in Christ Jesus" come impartations of Truth to the student. Their source and power is directly from God, universal divine Mind. Christ consciousness is that state of being which is ever aware of the Allness of good. It is "the Light in which there is no darkness"-no awareness of evil, of sin, disease, or of any other discord. This is an impersonal consciousness, although individually manifested by those ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Goldsmith_ The Real Teacher.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:15- 62K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: The Law
- THE LAW THE FIRST COMMANDMENT, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me," is an admonition to look to one source for our good and it indicates that Me or I AM is that source. To this law all must render obedience. I am the one who must obey it. If I lived in the constant awareness of my true identity, it would be impossible for any one to interfere with my demonstration of harmonious, fruitful and eternal life, and if men always heeded the First Commandment, the journey into the Kingdom of God would be a quick one. Obedience to this command requires strict mental discipline. It means that every time you are tempted to place confidence in a power outside yourself, you must mentally argue with yourself (use the law) until you have brought yourself back into the presence and power of your own consciousness. This mental warfare is the law - the letter of truth - and always leads to the Spirit of Truth when faithfully followed. This, the First Commandment, then, is a law which you must literally obey - have no other presence or power than the Universal Consciousness, which is the consciousness of the individual, of you. You exist as infinite, individual, spiritual consciousness. You are not body. You are not limited mind or mentality. You are consciousness. What is this "I" which possesses body, business, home, talent, genius? It is not body. Feet, arms, legs, head - these are mine. But what is this "I" or "Me", that possesses them? There is only one "I", one Ego, one Consciousness. It is God. "I" am therefore universal. It is the "I" of me - individual Ego appearing as you, as me, as all so-called individual men and women. Individual existence is the continuous unfoldment of experience from within your own being. Nothing and no one exists outside your own consciousness. What we behold as person and thing is the idea of reality unfolding as our consciousness. There is in all the universe but one power, and I am that law and power. The consciousness which I am, the only I ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ation of Scripture_ The Law.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:19- 95K
Find Similar Documents
The GIft of Love: Chapter 3, Love Thy Neighbor
- ~ 3 ~ LOVE THY NEIGHBOR In order to love our neighbor as ourselves, we have to move out of the human sense of love into the Divine. To be very honest, not many persons are really able to love human beings. The ones we do love supremely and those in whom we put our faith and trust sometimes fail us. To love our neighbor as ourselves, therefore, does not mean that we are to love the human race with all its failings. This would not be loving our neighbor as ourselves. This would be being blind. When I look at a person, I must not look at his outer human appearance and love that. I must look through him and realize that in the midst of him God is, and that God is living his life. I see in him the image and likeness of God, the presence of God, the glory of God. If I accepted what I see with my eyes, I would be disappointed in far too many persons. But I look through the appearance they present and acknowledge: In you is the child of God; in you dwells the Christ of God. In your true being, God is your life, God is your soul, God is your mind. It does not matter how evil the person may appear to be. I look through that to the divinity which is at the center of his being and say to myself, "I love you as I love my Self, because my Self is your Self. God's Self is my Self and God's Self is your Self. There is only one spiritual Self." In this way I am crediting God with having given expression only to His own spiritual image and likeness which is forever perfect, and I love that image and likeness as my Self. I find nothing in him to forgive, because I see nothing in him but his spiritual selfhood. I find nothing in him to excuse, nothing to judge, nothing to criticize, nothing to condemn. I am not dealing with a human being: I am dealing with the image and likeness of God which is his true selfhood. As we love God and our neighbor in this way, we remove ourselves from the human sense of law and bring ourselves under Grace. As long as I hold a person under the law of ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...hapter 3, Love Thy Neighbor.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:53- 87K
Find Similar Documents
The GIft of Love: Chapter 5, The Spiritual Bond
- ~ 5 ~ THE SPIRITUAL BOND Between God and His creation there exists only a relationship of love, a love that truly binds, a love that unites God and man in an eternal relationship of oneness. When a man and a woman acknowledge the inseparable and indivisible bond of oneness existing between them and the Father, that automatically creates a bond between them. Only a spiritual bond existing between a man and a woman can keep them forever in love and keep that love fruitful, fulfilling, harmonious, and pure. Such a bond comes about when a person can look his partner in the eye and know that here is someone he can trust. This kind of trust makes for lasting peace and a sense of absolute completeness. In such a spiritual relationship, all sensuality, lust, and greed drop away because this bond establishes them in the household of God, of the family of God. Between them, then, there can be only the pure and unselfish relationship that exists between God and his children and between all the children of the household of God. If they can look upon one another in that light, because of the one Father, the one Life, and one Spirit, the one Soul, automatically and instantaneously, an indestructible bond is created between them. They have seen the Father shining out through the eyes of the members of their family and that makes it impossible to lie, cheat, or defraud any one of them. No person can be joined by a spiritual bond with another and live with him or her in any other way than that of peace, purity, harmony, completeness, and sharing. What happens then in this senseless human universe cannot possibly make any difference! The insanity of mankind might be recognized but it would never interfere with the relationship established with those of a person's spiritual household. Human differences become of no moment or have no effect. Where there is love what arguments or problems come up can always be worked out and a solution found without consulting outsiders or going to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...apter 5, The Spiritual Bond.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:54- 66K
Find Similar Documents
1954 Infinite Way Letters: Chapter 3, Prayer
- ~ 3 ~ PRAYER Success in prayer comes only when we understand the purpose and nature of prayer. The centuries of believing that God sends gifts, and that God bestows those things for which we pray, has been the barrier to fruitful prayer. God is the gift we must be seeking. God is the substance of all form, and to pray for something or some condition as though it were apart from God, or something to be bestowed by God, is the very sense of separation which holds off our good. God cannot give health-God is the only health. God cannot send food and raiment, since God is the Bread, the Meat, the Robe. God does not give peace, security and safety-God is the only Peace, the true Security, the Fortress and the Tower. The Scriptures of the entire world say, "Seek Me." Seek not what ye shall eat or drink, but seek rather the Kingdom of God. Every mystic, seer, prophet, savior and revelator has revealed the secret of fruitful prayer, and yet, generation after generation, the world has prayed for things and conditions. We are entering upon the spiritual era of mankind when peace and plenty shall cover the land, even as mother-love enfolds the babe. The secret of life may be known through an understanding of the nature of God, since this understanding alone reveals the nature of true prayer-and prayer alone is the means of communion with God. To seek God as men usually seek Him is as futile as the worldly search for the Holy Grail or the pot of gold at the foot of the rainbow. The attempt to reach God through the prayers men have learned is impossible, since true prayer is not an activity of the mind, and therefore is completely outside the realm of words or thoughts. The secret of successful prayer is the understanding that prayer is the activity of the Soul and not of the mind. Prayers, recited, read, or thought by the human mind do not rise higher than their source, and any effect, even a seeming good, is but the effect of one mind upon another-a mental suggestion which has ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Letters_ Chapter 3, Prayer.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:34:54- 86K
Find Similar Documents
A Parenthesis in Eternity: Chapter VI, God, the Consciousness of the Individual
- CHAPTER VI GOD, THE CONSCIOUSNESS OF THE INDIVIDUAL Many persons think that they understand the mystery of life because they can trace the growth and development of themselves and their children from a tiny seed at the time of conception to birth, and then from birth to full maturity. But that is not the mystery of life: that is the effect of the mystery of life. The mystery lies in what produced the seed and in what brought this seed into expression. No matter how scientists may theorize as to the origin of life, eventually they arrive at a point that defies explanation because beyond the appearance of everything visible is an Infinitude, a Something that we call Consciousness or Life, and this Infinity is expressing Itself as all form, as the world and everything in it. Everything that is visible first had to have an invisible Something to send it into form, and that invisible Something is Consciousness which sends Itself into expression as a seed and all that comes forth from the seed. Were it not for Consciousness, there would be nothing expressed as form. Regardless of how beautiful a thing may seem to be, how wonderful or how abundant, we must look behind it and realize that it could not exist but for the Consciousness that formed it. A few years ago, a very severe winter was forecast for the Eastern and Middle Western parts of the United States, a prediction based on the fact that the animals were growing much thicker fur than usual, and that they were also storing up more than the customary amount of food for their use during the coming winter. But can an animal decide how much fur it is going to grow? Does an animal know that it is growing fur any more than we know that we are growing hair? Then, what is the underlying cause of the growth of fur on an animal, and why does the fur grow thicker in some years and thinner in others? What causes an animal to store up more food one year than another? Very recently, another prediction was made to the effect that ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ciousness of the Individual.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:34:59- 118K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 28, Richard Davis Lecture
- ~ 28 ~ RICHARD DAVIS LECTURE The Richard Davis lecture in the Christian Science Monitor of December 3, 1935, gives us much to think about. He stated: "When John declared that God is Love . . . he was not endeavoring to formulate a concept of Deity based on sentiment or emotion." This statement of Mr. Davis needs careful study and application. When we are tempted to wonder if we must do something or think something to help our demonstration, we might dwell on Mr. Davis' remark: "Man is not called upon to enforce the law of Love, for it is its own enforcement; but he does become conscious of its existence and experiences the revelation in his own consciousness of its action." Too often we strive to work out our own destiny, and regarding this he says: "The human sense struggles to work out its own destiny even while divine Love waits to fulfill every aspiration soaring toward good." Repeatedly I have referred you to this statement in Science and Health that there is "a divine influence ever present in human consciousness," 1 which we understand to be the Christ, able and willing to do all things for you. Of this, Mr. Davis says: "The Christ in your consciousness will govern every act of your being. It will make you a good man and a successful one, and, if you accept it fully, it will glorify your being." Our message finds support in this paragraph: "Christian Science declares that there is nothing wrong with the real man. The process of Christian Science treatment is not that of changing a sick man into a healthy one, or a diseased body into a well one. God's man is already well and free. It is our privilege to see and know it." And to support this, he quotes from Miscellany: "You can never demonstrate spirituality until you declare yourself to be immortal and understand that you are so. Christian Science is absolute; it is neither behind the point of perfection nor advancing towards it; it is at this point and must be practiced therefrom. Unless you fully perceive ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...r 28, Richard Davis Lecture.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:48- 90K
Find Similar Documents
The Early Years: Chapter 8, Prayer
- ~ 8 ~ PRAYER The essence of our work is that God is. We all talk about God; we think about God; we pray to God. When we realize that God is not to be prayed to, we begin to see why the talking about God is so useless, and why much of our thinking about God is fruitless. The first point that becomes clear when we see that God is, is that God is not to be prayed to. If only we understood Mrs. Eddy, we would have known this long ago. Listen to her words: "God is not moved by the breath of praise to do more than he has already done, nor can the infinite do less than bestow all good, since He is unchanging wisdom and Love." 1 "God is love. Can we ask him to be more? God is intelligence. Can we inform the infinite Mind of anything He does not already comprehend?" 2 "Asking God to be God is vain repetition. God is 'the same yesterday and today and forever;' and He who is immutably right will do right without being reminded of His province." 3 "Who would stand before a blackboard, and pray the principle of mathematics to solve the problem?" 4 Then, the first step in progress is when we learn not to ask or pray to God, or expect something from him. The next step is learning to turn to the kingdom within you, which is the kingdom of God, not for something, but in recognition of the present perfection and harmony of all which God governs. And he governs all reality. Also, we learn in Science that there is no evil in any person, place, or thing, but that the evil is in the universal concept of person, place, or thing. Knowing that there is no evil in any circumstance or condition frees us from ill effects that might come from the belief in evil. While it is spiritual sense that meets every so-called human problem, it is nevertheless true that a conscious awareness of the truth of being results in harmony that never forsakes us, and which we consciously experience. Therefore, we must "know the truth" in order for the "truth to make us free" from those things that seem to mar or ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ly Years_ Chapter 8, Prayer.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:42- 100K
Find Similar Documents
The GIft of Love: Chapter 1, Love as Understanding
- ~ 1 ~ LOVE AS UNDERSTANDING We all want to be understood and to be understanding. Most of us wish that those we meet could see into the center of our being, could see what we have been from the beginning, but which no one has yet recognized-not mother, not father, not teacher. No one has ever seen what we really are, and it is because of this nonrecognition that we have worn a mask to hide ourselves from the world. If only the mask that is hiding you from me and me from you could drop from our faces, we would be like children, back in the Garden of Eden. Everyone longs to be understood, but most persons think that that means being known as they are humanly. That is not what it means at all. Those who believe that do so because they do not yet know that the Christ is their true identity and this is really what they would like to show forth. The Master Christ Jesus, too, longed to have his true identity recognized and understood. How obvious is his longing as he asks, "Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? . . . Whom say ye that I am?" He longed to be known as the Christ, but he could not walk out and say, "I am the Christ." Let us not hesitate, however, to say silently and secretly to everyone we meet, "Thou art the Christ, the holy one of Israel. I know thee who thou art." How do we know it? Flesh and blood have not taught us this, nor has the human mind revealed it. Only spiritual discernment reveals to us that God lives on earth as individual you and me. God has incarnated Himself as individual being. God the Father appears on earth as God the son. As we begin the practice of beholding the Christ in everyone we meet-in our household, our neighborhood, the market, the post office, the department store-the world will begin to present a different picture to us. People will act in a different way. The world will respond differently to us because the world will bring back to us what we have given to it. Whomever we meet, we meet in the spirit of letting God's grace ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...er 1, Love as Understanding.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:53- 80K
Find Similar Documents