1954 Infinite Way Letters: Chapter 3, Prayer
- ~ 3 ~ PRAYER Success in prayer comes only when we understand the purpose and nature of prayer. The centuries of believing that God sends gifts, and that God bestows those things for which we pray, has been the barrier to fruitful prayer. God is the gift we must be seeking. God is the substance of all form, and to pray for something or some condition as though it were apart from God, or something to be bestowed by God, is the very sense of separation which holds off our good. God cannot give health-God is the only health. God cannot send food and raiment, since God is the Bread, the Meat, the Robe. God does not give peace, security and safety-God is the only Peace, the true Security, the Fortress and the Tower. The Scriptures of the entire world say, "Seek Me." Seek not what ye shall eat or drink, but seek rather the Kingdom of God. Every mystic, seer, prophet, savior and revelator has revealed the secret of fruitful prayer, and yet, generation after generation, the world has prayed for things and conditions. We are entering upon the spiritual era of mankind when peace and plenty shall cover the land, even as mother-love enfolds the babe. The secret of life may be known through an understanding of the nature of God, since this understanding alone reveals the nature of true prayer-and prayer alone is the means of communion with God. To seek God as men usually seek Him is as futile as the worldly search for the Holy Grail or the pot of gold at the foot of the rainbow. The attempt to reach God through the prayers men have learned is impossible, since true prayer is not an activity of the mind, and therefore is completely outside the realm of words or thoughts. The secret of successful prayer is the understanding that prayer is the activity of the Soul and not of the mind. Prayers, recited, read, or thought by the human mind do not rise higher than their source, and any effect, even a seeming good, is but the effect of one mind upon another-a mental suggestion which has ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Letters_ Chapter 3, Prayer.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:34:54- 86K
Find Similar Documents
Collected Essays of Joel Goldsmith: A Lesson to Sam
- ... It is His good pleasure to give you the kingdom, and God does not even hold you in punishment for your sins. Even though you make a mistake, even though you commit a sin, if you are truly repentant in the sense that you realize that you have sinned and that it wasn't right, in that instant you are forgiven. You do not carry around the penalty any longer than you carry around the obstinacy of believing you are right when you know in your heart and Soul you are wrong. Do you understand that? You cannot go around and do wrong and not acknowledge it to yourself and expect that you can receive God's grace. You receive God's grace every time you acknowledge within yourself, "I know I've done wrong," or perhaps, "I don't know that I've done wrong, but if I have, wipe it out, because it wasn't intentional. I never mean to do wrong, but always want to do unto others as I would have others do unto me." In that way, you purify yourself. I have been healed of illnesses merely by asking God's forgiveness for my sins; and of course, my sins are not major ones because you know that is not our mode of living. But whatever it is-when we are guilty of holding people in criticism or condemnation, or when we are not loving enough or forgiving enough-we are sinning against the Holy Spirit. So it is a wholesome thing once in a while to go to God and say, "I realize that humanly I haven't been perfect; therefore, forgive my sins, forgive my trespasses, and let's start all over again." In this way, Sam, you will learn the greatest lesson that I have ever learned, and that is that the place whereon I stand is holy ground. God is right here where I am, and God is available the very minute that I stop talking and stop thinking and turn within in humility, acknowledging God's grace, God's power, God's Spirit within me, and then relax for just a minute or two and let that Spirit take over. That really is all there is to the whole Infinite Way. All the writings of The Infinite Way are only for ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... Goldsmith_ A Lesson to Sam.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:12- 79K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness In Transition: Chapter 12, Prayer & Receptivity
- ~ 12 ~ PRAYER AND RECEPTIVITY NOW, THE KIND OF TREATMENT we have been talking about is legitimate, only do not stop there; do not let anybody on this path stop there because you haven't yet prayed! All you have done is give yourself a treatment. All you have done is to mentally reassure yourself that the appearances aren't real, but you haven't yet felt the Christ. And what we are interested in is Christ-healing. What we are interested in is the actual Father within-the Christ that liveth in me-the actual awareness of the presence and power of God, dispelling the illusion of sense. We are not satisfied with anything less than that! Therefore, if you give yourself a treatment-again I repeat: never give a treatment to a patient or to a condition-give yourself a treatment to refute the appearance or the person. Then sit there in the silence with that ear of expectancy and let the answer come. Many times it will not be necessary for some of you to go that far; most of the time you will not find it necessary to use that argument. You can take a step higher than that. That step is, when a claim of any kind presents itself to you, whether your own or someone else's, you can take the attitude of sitting down and finding the center of your own being. How you do that, of course, is something else again. I can't give you a process. You may take the word God or Christ or truth, and keep it in your thought and always bring your thought back to that, keeping it up until that awareness comes. That is even higher than using the argument, and you can do it if you are keeping yourself in a spiritual condition. Don't think you can do it if you are coming down continuously to this mortal level of living and indulging all this sense business with horrible movies and disgraceful novels and all that kind of stuff that the rabble fills time and mind with. Don't think you can give part of your time to that and at the same time be in a state of spiritual consciousness where you won't need ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...er 12, Prayer & Receptivity.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:21- 121K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Is What I Am: Chapter 2, The False & Right Sense of I
- ~ 2 ~ THE FALSE AND RIGHT SENSE OF I The Infinite Way reveals that God is infinite individual being and, therefore, God constitutes our being. Whatever is spiritual, eternal, and immortal in us is God-being. That which is mortal, human, and finite is not an expression of God but an illusion and cannot be raised up to the atmosphere of Christhood. It must "die," but that death is not what normally is thought of as death. It is the death of the false concept of God and man that has been built up throughout the years, which constitutes what may be called the human experience. As we "die daily" 1 to that human experience, we are reborn into the spiritual experience. Jesus acknowledged his sonship with the Father, and at the same time denied power to his humanhood when he said, "I can of mine own self do nothing." 2 Can we hope to do more than Jesus did and claim more for ourselves than he claimed? When he was called "Good Master," 3 Jesus even went so far as to deny that. "Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God." 3 The truth is that God, the Father, appears individually as God, the son. If we were to say that we express God, we would be trying to have some power of our own. But this we do not have. God, being infinite, God alone can express Itself, and God expresses Itself as individual being. It is God expressing, not man expressing, and God expressing becomes you and me in our spiritual identity. God always is the presence and God always is the power. Never do we have power, never. All power is God-power as it flows forth from the Godhead, appearing as our individual capacity. If it were your capacity or mine, it would be limited, but because all capacity is God-capacity, it is infinite. Jesus understood his own nothingness and thus became the instrument through which the allness of God could appear. Potentially anyone who can sufficiently understand the nothingness of humanhood can in that degree show forth God's allness. THE TROUBLEMAKER ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...he False & Right Sense of I.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:35:22- 132K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: February 16, 1964, Your Door to Infinity
- YOUR DOOR TO INFINITY February 16, 1964 The Halekulani Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii IF YOU REMEMBER what we had this morning on tape number 4, side 2, Honolulu Infinite Way Study Center 1964, there is only one thing that can be added to that and I will not have to say too much about it because we had the subject recently, and that is secrecy. The vital art of this practice is the ability to keep it locked up within you and perform it and practice it without ever speaking of it to anyone. Never under any circumstances let it come through your lips until such time as you have completed the demonstration and are fully living in the consciousness that enables you to automatically turn within every hour of the day, every quarter hour of the day, and realize that right here where you are, in the midst of your meal, at any moment, you can turn within and you will be flooded with whatever you need: inspiration, light, wisdom, principles, courage, foresight, judgement, integrity. Whatever it is that may be the need of the moment, you just have to blink your eyes and immediately I have access to all that God has. When you are demonstrating this in your life and the fruitage is apparent, then you can begin to teach it and impart it to others, but not before. If you try to tell it or teach it before you have demonstrated it, you will be telling something to someone else that you have not proven; you will lose your self-respect by setting yourself up as a teacher of something you do not know, or pretending that something is a principle which you have not demonstrated. At first there will be those who will tell you that it is selfishness, that you must give everything you have. No! Just because you know about it does not mean that you have attained the consciousness of it. Spiritually, never give that which you have not attained. If you learn of a principle that seems reasonable to you, practice it until your life shows it forth. Then when someone is led to you, you can share it ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...1964, Your Door to Infinity.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:12- 95K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: June 30, 1963, Discovering the Soul
- DISCOVERING THE SOUL June 30, 1963 Princess Kaiulani Hotel GOOD AFTERNOON. When we first come to a spiritual study it is only because some circumstance or condition of our life is in need of adjustment. We have not found the completeness of life, happiness, health, or some other aspect of fulfillment, and we are seeking the missing link. In other words, we are always wanting improvement in the human affairs of our existence. During your Infinite Way study you will find some degree of improvement in your human life, but I can assure you that you never will find all that you are seeking humanly. It does not lie within the nature of a spiritual teaching to give you all of the human good things you think you would like. In some avenues of your life you will experience improved health, increased supply, or some other form of human happiness, but you will not find the completeness that you expected. About the time you actually realize that it never is going to happen, you will likewise perceive the reason, which is that you have been praying amiss. You have been trying to patch up or improve this human existence and that is not the function of any spiritual message. From the message of every mystic it is very clear that the object of the spiritual path is that we may die to the human experience and be reborn of the spirit. We learn that the spiritual kingdom, the real kingdom, the mystical kingdom is not of this world, not even when this world is healthy, wealthy, and wise. On the mystical path we learn that there is a goal. This goal is not the metaphysical goal of better health, a nicer home, a better car, and more companionship. The goal is releasing the Soul from the tomb of human existence, more especially the tomb of the human mind. In your periods of introspection or contemplation check to see to what extent you are imprisoned in your mind and body. Notice how little you know except what is in your mind or body, and then you will realize that all human experience ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... 1963, Discovering the Soul.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:16- 98K
Find Similar Documents
Consciousness Transformed: March 17, 1963, The Tree of Life
- THE TREE OF LIFE March 17, 1963 Halekulani Hotel YOU MAY HA VE NOTICED that it takes several years after you receive a spiritual idea or principle before it is yours, and before you can demonstrate it. This is normal, this is natural, and it would be folly to expect anything different. It has been so with every one of us. We hear a spiritual principle and we read it. In fact we read it over and over again, and we hear it on tapes or in lectures or classes, and therefore we think that we know it and wonder why we cannot demonstrate it. Remember that this is normal and natural and true of each of us. Even principles that have come through my own lips have really not become mine until several years later. Even though they come through my own consciousness, they did not register at the time in a demonstrable degree. It was years later before I could say, "Whereas I was blind, now I see. Whereas before I could voice it, now it is an incorporated part of me. Now I can live it." One of these principles is one that you heard this morning and one that you will find in most of my writings, and that is the tree of life. Usually I have used this example: Imagine a tree in the middle of this room, and then visualize each one of us attached to that tree as a branch. Then you will notice that we are all being fed from the same source. The sap that comes up through the trunk of the tree, the life that is flowing up through the trunk, this feeds and sustains and nourishes us and each of us draws from the same source. Now the meaning of this is that there is actually an invisible tree in this room. There is actually an invisible thread connecting us to the trunk of that tree. That tree is the spiritual tree of life and each one of us, by an invisible thread or bond is united to this tree of life. We are maintained, sustained, guided, directed, illumined from the same source, the life or sap that flows up through the roots into the trunk and out into each branch. Now, if you were to ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/... 17, 1963, The Tree of Life.pdf
Modified: 2017-04-26 12:59:17- 106K
Find Similar Documents
Rising in Consciousness: Chapter 5, Carriers of the Divine Message
- ~ 5 ~ CARRIERS OF THE DIVINE MESSAGE EVERY SINGLE WORD THAT IS SPOKEN and every moment of silence is the same thread of continuity, of spiritual consciousness expressing itself. And it expresses itself in words, in thoughts and of course, its most powerful mode of expression is silence. Truth, when expressed as silence, is the most potent. Our thoughts and words are very weak substitutes for the real teaching, the real receptivity which comes through the silent and still activity of our soul. The activity and spontaneity of Soul is best apprehended in silence. Now this truth of course, is nothing new. It is as ancient as the ancient of days. I would like to begin this morning, and I hope to end this morning, with a brief reading from some of my own more recent works. It sets the idea that we will carry through the day: "They stalk through our minds, these people of the past, leaving in our thoughts the impression of their thoughts and acts; of their desires and aims; of their hopes and of their faith-and ofttimes of their accomplishments and failures." "For us, they relive the history of the ages, telling and retelling the struggles of mankind; of its comedies and of its drama." "The philosophy and the religion of all eras pass by as in review and we watch them pass from the freedom of inspired thought to their imprisonment in church and interpretation." "We follow the flight of the universal Light as it inspires the meditations and prayers of Buddha, Jesus, Shankara, John and Paul; we see its illumination touch the consciousness of inspired souls-and again we witness the sad spectacle of this Light being chained by men in personalities. What is this Light men seek to personify? Why does not man push aside the veil covering his eyes that he may behold the impersonal savior and physician?" "Purifier of the individual soul and healer of the personal body-glorious Light of all ages - nameless, formless, universal, impersonal - oh man! Enlarge your vision and behold it ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...riers of the Divine Message.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:06- 125K
Find Similar Documents
Spiritual Interpretation of Scripture: Spiritual Development
- ... The sky is not sitting on the mountain, and the illusion is not "out there" where it seems to be, but is your false sense of what you are beholding. You cannot get rid of the illusion; you must understand it as illusion, and see through it to ever-prevent Reality. Understand that all that appears is God- appearing, despite the illusory sense of it you may be momentarily entertaining, and even the illusion will be dispelled. Error is never personal. You must therefore never condemn a person, but see the error as impersonal, a part of universal mesmerism and no part of any individual. In this impersonalizing of error, you dispel it. One of the great laws of the Bible is, "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you." (Matt. 5:44). Your understanding of the prayer of forgiveness is that it is the realization of oneness. To know that that which is appearing, as persecutor, hater, enemy in any form, is really the Christ itself, which finite sense has misinterpreted, will free you of any evil effects of hate, persecution and enmity. Never forget that there is in reality no sick person to heal, neither a sinner to reform - only the Christ-presence to be spiritually discerned. This is the true law of forgiveness. Thus we pray for our enemies. There is a prevalent belief that the thought of certain individuals or groups can harm you. You cannot be made to suffer from any belief other than your own acceptance of a selfhood apart from God. Those who entertain a belief in two minds or in a life that can be impaired or ended, or in a selfhood apart from God, suffer from that belief in proportion as the belief is accepted. This, too, can be healed in a moment by relinquishing the belief in two powers, and the belief in more than one Presence. The purpose of your study is, first, the improvement of humanhood - the improvement of health, wealth, harmony, companionship, home and ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...ture_ Spiritual Development.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:18- 99K
Find Similar Documents
The Art of Spiritual Healing: Chapter VIII, Treatment Is a Realization of Omnipresence
- CHAPTER VIII TREATMENT IS A REALIZATION OF OMNIPRESENCE Many people are puzzled as to how the patient, rather than one hundred million other people, receives the benefit of a treatment if it is not necessary to know his name or his condition and if neither of these is taken into a treatment. The answer is found in the basic principle of oneness. The particular patient who has asked for help receives that help because he has reached out to the consciousness of the practitioner who understands that there is not a patient-consciousness, a practitioner-consciousness, and a God-consciousness: There is only one Consciousness-God-consciousness. When a patient turns to a truly dedicated God-conscious practitioner, he makes himself a part of that practitioner's God-consciousness. Furthermore, a person may ask for help for his child, his parents, his pet poodle, or for his crops, and in so doing he brings them to the one infinite divine Consciousness which the practitioner is. Strangely enough, a person who does not bring himself to this Consciousness may sit with his ills in the same room right next to the practitioner year in and year out and receive no benefit. Jesus walked up and down the Holy Land for three years, every day encountering the sick and the sinning, but only to those who came to him begging, "Master, Master, heal me," did he rum and say, "Do you believe that I can do this?" Only those who brought themselves into the consciousness of the Master, only those who were a part of the multitude that sat at his feet, only they received the benediction of his great blessing. Nearly everyone is surrounded with people who are in need of healing of one kind or another, and this poses the question as to what responsibility rests with a person regarding those who come within his orbit. Should treatment be withheld until help has been specifically requested? What about those in the world he sees around him who are in need of healing? Is he his brother's keeper? Such ...
URL: http://acropolisbooks.com/...Realization of Omnipresence.pdf
Modified: 2017-02-07 14:36:33- 109K
Find Similar Documents